The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Faster_than_you

help w/ ignition key

I am having a problem, obviously. Someone decided when I was out to sea to steal my wallet and keys. my only set of keys for the chevy were on that peticular key ring.
so now I am at the dilema of trying to figure out how to take out my ignition switch, so that way I can start her up and take her for her few minute drive around the block.
my question is...
how the holy crap am I suppose to take out the ignition without the key!?
yes, yes I know I can take it apart with the key, but dont know if I can do it without the key. I was thinking a locksmith, but at 75 bucks and a few days wait, I was thinking I could just have it replaced for cheaper and most importantly faster.
any advise would be helpfull.
thanks,
chris
Old 04-19-2005, 05:46 PM   #2
pjmoreland

You can pop the thin stainless disc off the front of the tumbler and drill a 3/16" hole in the tumbler just to the left of the key slot. If you get the hole in the correct place, you will be able to access the bar that prevents the tumbler from rotating without a key with a screwdriver. If you don't get the hole in the right place, you may end up damaging the ignition switch housing. This is a whole lot easier to do if you have another tumbler to look at to help you figure out where to drill. Either way, you'll need a new tumbler, and maybe a new ignition switch. I'd recommend getting a door/ignition lock set since you no longer have the key for your doors. It'll run you about $25.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #3
StingRay

Or you can take a hole saw that is just a bit smaller than the inside of the bezel and use it without a pilot bit to cut through the bezel. Then the whole switch can be removed and replaced with a new switch and bezel. If you have another switch you can just plug it in and go.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:53 PM   #4
shifty
Questionable

I'd be more worried about the house -- When they took your wallet, your ID would have given your address away and they have the keys to your house....

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 06:46 PM   #5
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I have a write up in the FAQ on this...along with a good temp fix too.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 09:15 AM   #6
Putter
More Cowbell....

$75 and a few DAYS wait???? WTF??? Does your ignition key fit the door also (mine does, that's why I ask). If it does, take the lock out of the passenger door (it has less wear-n-tear on it) and take that to a locksmith along with the vin number. He can make you a key in 20 minutes or less. I had to do that once. Cost me a whopping $7 to have him "create" a key from scratch, then supply two extras.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:29 AM   #7
Faster_than_you

Thanks everyone for ther concern. It really is appreciated. Day (my wife) actually said to have our apt. keys changed there shifty. Longhorn, not to sound like a smart ars, but I did not find anything in the faq it is a possibility that I skimmed over it though. Putter- Nope actually my father was the same way shifty thought, we changed the keys the weekend he bought me the truck.
I actually looked under my truck for some more knowledge and visualisation of some parts, and noticed ms. molly needed to be started, so I called up alot more places than day, and got a guy out here fore 55 bucks, in about 6 minutes. he drilled it out just like pjmoreland said. and replaced the lock cylinder. I was actually really scared, I turned my back to talk to one of the guys from an old command of mine, then in mid sentence the locksmith yells over its up!
I was like you know I wanted the cylinder replaced too right?
he looked at me like I should have his foot up my ass, but instead he showed me the hand behind his back and said here is two keys for your truck.
now I just have to replace my bushings in the alternator, and I am good to go. Freakin alternator went out on me this afternoon.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 04-23-2005, 01:00 PM   #8
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

Longhorn,

I'll bet you just unplugged the old switch and plugged in a new one and let it hang until you had time to mess with the old one like I did. Later, Hot Rod
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #9
Longhorn Man

That is exactly what I did.
Old 04-23-2005, 05:52 PM   #10
pjmoreland

Good idea, Putter. Now that I think about it, I did that exact same thing about 6 months ago. The locksmith didn't even need the VIN. He popped the pins out of the door lock and measured them. He had a key cutter that he could punch numbers into based on the pin measurements, and out came the key. Twenty bucks later, I was on my way, and my door and ignition locks still matched.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2005, 06:12 PM   #11
Longhorn Man

The VIN is totally useless on anything older then '90 IIRC.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:06 PM   #12
GMC AMI

A temporary solution just prolongs the fix! Do it right the first time and save time that is irreplacable! IMO as Time is life!
Old 04-23-2005, 09:11 PM   #13
Longhorn Man

This kind of temp fix can actually save your dash.
if you NEED to drive your vehicle, and you insist on mounting the ignition switch where it goes....but you have to get to work @ 5 the next moring.... you don't have much time to be carefull trying to remove the ignition switch that you have no key for.
Therefor, you let the replacement assembly dangle from the back of the dash for a while, untill you have the time/tools/patients to do the job properly....WITHOUT screwing up the dash...or slicing a finger all to h*ll.

Here is the link in the FAQ...it was a few pages back. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=123712
Old 04-24-2005, 12:28 AM   #14
krue
Designated A-hole!

Hey! That picture looks familiar....where have I seen it before? I think that is the most popular pic I have posted.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #15
GMC AMI

If you do not have the extra switch handy just run a wire from the coil to the battery and jump the solenoid with a screwdriver and drive away! Of course you will have to pull the wire to shut down.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:56 AM   #16
Longhorn Man

When you hot wire it that way, it'll drive, but it won't charge and none of your acc (turn signales) work. But I've driven a truck home like that in a pinch once.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:23 PM   #17
GMC AMI

Talking Yes

Yes, you are right and that's the time to use arm signals like the old timers. Maybe not everyone here even remembers the manual method.
How do you think I picked up so many trucks?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:06 PM   #18
Longhorn Man

I got pulled over driving one hot wired liek that once...wasn't pretty.
Had me with my hands on the roof of his cruiser checkin me for weapons...the whole 9 yards. Even got to sit in the back of his Crown Vic while they looked into it.
If it wasn't for the fact he was just doin his job...I'd have been ticked.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:15 PM   #19
cableguy0

hmmm a cheapie lockpic set will unlock the ignition in our trucks as well as a master key yea they really exist i have one. usually on older stuff using an actual key blank will get it to release just gotta play with it. locks arent rocket science is just a couple pins and springs. gm single sided ignitions are like the easiest there are to pick.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 05:30 PM   #20
GMC AMI

You have that right! Our trucks are so easy to steal it simply is NO joking matter unless you live in a town of very old people that have no use for trucks almost as old as them! LOL. Like me with only 205 people. I do not condon any actions mentioned only for a quick emergency way home!
Old 04-25-2005, 05:35 PM   #21
GMC AMI

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man
I got pulled over driving one hot wired liek that once...wasn't pretty.
Had me with my hands on the roof of his cruiser checkin me for weapons...the whole 9 yards. Even got to sit in the back of his Crown Vic while they looked into it.
If it wasn't for the fact he was just doin his job...I'd have been ticked.
Love that little frown on the Crown VIC! If you did not LOOK like such an OUTLAW maybe they would have believed it was your registration?
On a serious note, Man you have lead a full life!
Old 04-25-2005, 06:22 PM   #22
Longhorn Man

It was a cockey new younf FNG County cop in Tx....this dude had something to prove too.