The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #1
qksilver

P/S conversion on a 66

I am putting a 66 frame under my 56. The frontend was completely rebuilt by the PO. But no P/S. I have all new idler arm, all the tie rod ends and seleeves. I have a 72 1/2 P/S box and pitman arm.
First the 66 box has three mounting bolts and flat mounting surface, the 72 has 4 and a hump for the sector shaft.
I do not have a 66 center link, I do have the complete P/S linkage, tie rod to tie rod from the 72
With buying as little more parts what do I need to do?
I am not worried about hoses, mounting the pump or the steering shaft.
Money is tight, as usual, and i am piecing this truck together, so far, from 7 different trucks. Any help would be apreciated.
Once this is done, the next questions will be on how to run the brake lines and mounting brackets. I got a bunch of new stainless brake lines with the frame. Many small pieces.........that's next time
Thanks,
Steve
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:34 PM   #2
65StreetCruiser
It Is What It Is

qksilver, Rez Engineering has a P/S bracket set that bolts to the 66 frame and allows the use of a late model P/S sector. That is what I'm running on my 65. Try some of the board vendors and see if they carry the bracket set. Most other vendors carry it also. Good luck on the frame swap. Kevin
65StreetCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
qksilver

Thanks, the frame swap I thought would be a big deal but it really is going well. I used the 56 cab frame brackets on the 66 frame. I only had to slot them about a 1/4 inch. The only other thing is mounting the core support. After the P/S, the brakes then to the core support
qksilver is offline   Reply With Quote