The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-04-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
TugOwar

Rocker not oiling...

Off work today so I finished getting my motor together, plugs and plug wires, carb, radiator, etc. no tranny so no load on it.

Fired it and just let it idle, maybe 10 minutes total. Adjusted rockers a bit but mainly just wanted to make sure they're all oiling. Well one isn't oiling, first one on the front left (passenger side).

I don't know what to do to get it oiling or will it eventually start on it's own? Also it doesn't move as much as the others. Is this a bad lifter or a worn lobe on the cam?

Any help appreciated.
TugOwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
cableguy0

if its not moving as much as the other theres a problem. could very well be a bad lifter or worn cam lobe. first things first. are these new pushrods? if so did ya blow through all of them to make sure they were open. have seen new pushrods be bad right outta the box with a blocked passage. i would pull the intake myself and check the lifter. if the bottom of the lifter is concave the lifter and cam are bad
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:55 PM   #3
TugOwar

DOH! I'm a dummy. Didn't think to pull the push rod and check the passage, will do that tomorrow.

Not new push rods, not new lifters either, and I didn't take them outa the block.
This is a "freshened up" 350. The heads had been reworked when I got it and I put main and rod bearings, oil pump in it myself.

Thanks for the input CG.
Old 05-05-2005, 12:18 AM   #4
dion
72 Cheyenne

Possibly too tight on that rocker? It should still oil though. Like cableguy said, chech the pushrods, lifters and cam.
1966/67Stouts
dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 12:46 AM   #5
TugOwar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dion
Possibly too tight on that rocker? It should still oil though. Like cableguy said, chech the pushrods, lifters and cam.
I backed way off the rocker a couple times but didn't help. I'll pull the push rod tomorrow.

Is it possible the lifter hasn't "pumped up" yet?
Old 05-05-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
TugOwar

Well I took the push rod out and blew through it, still not oiling. I guess maybe the combination of worn lobe and a possibly bad lifter may be the cause of it not oiling?

Called GAP and he has lifters for $3.11 each and a stock 350 cam for $32.00. I'll pick them up tomorrow after I get paid and tear the dang thing apart again [sigh].

If anyone has a link to a FAQ post concerning cam replacement, valve adjustement, etc; please post it so I won't have to ask another repeat question.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:47 PM   #7
ratfreak888

do yourself a big favor and break the cam in the right way. i went through 2 cams in a row because i didn't
ratfreak888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #8
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

adjusting valves

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...48_0303_valve/
check this site

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 01:00 AM   #9
TugOwar

Thanks Vette, that seems easy enough to understand.

Ratfreak, the right way to break in a cam. I know I've read it somewhere before, maybe on this forum. Guess I'll go Googling.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:58 AM   #10
Sillyoldman

Drop in a new lifter first before you pull the cam. I dead cam lobe could be recognizable by comparing the vertical travel of the push rod. Have someone turn it over while you check it. Take the rocker off first. I had the same thing happen with a 327. There was a considerable difference with the travel. Hopefully you have a collapsed lifter. Good luck.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 02:01 AM   #11
Sillyoldman

Oh yeah. Pull the coil wire first.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote