The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2005, 08:20 AM   #1
Nolowrider

Burb seats in my stepper

Hello, Can anyone tell me if the bucket seats out of a 83 burb would bolt directly in my 74 steppie (or maybe alittle modification). I found a good looking burb with a of nice accessories yesterday. Guy wants $40.00 a piece for the seats. Lots of nice trim, ect. I hope they fit, I have been looking for a good set of seats for about 6 months now. Thanks guys.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I have never tried it, but you should have to do some bracket fabrication. The floor in the pickup is different from the Suburban and Blazer.

Slonaker
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
beaterC10

I put a set of Blazer seats in my stepper with a collection of factory parts. The Blazer and Burb seats are similar in construction on the underside.

I shortened a set of p/u bench seat sliders since they fit the pickup floor and attached them to the Blazer seats with Burb attaching brackets. I used a set of Burb brackets for the front inside floor attachment location. These were cut out of a Burb with a little extra material all the way around. A little trimming and hammer work was required to get them to fit on the p/u floor, but it was very minor.

I offset the outside seat slide attachment on the bucket to get the bucket centered on the steering wheel using the factory attachment points in the cab. Once that was good, I bolted the Burb floor attachment bracket to the inside slider and used sheet metal screws to get it located on the floor of the cab.

The whole project took about a week of evenings to accomplish using nothing more advanced than a hacksaw, drill, and grinder. I went this route since I got the seats for free and bought the Burb parts cheap.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Nolowrider

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that they were a direct bolt in, but if I have to do some minor fabricating that's ok too. I have all all the hand tools that I need, but no welder. I knew it was too good to be true.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:26 AM   #5
beaterC10

Don't let the fabrication scare you off, it was minor. More thinking involved than working. I had a neighbor weld the brackets in after I located them with screws. You could drive the truck to the welder after the seats are in.
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:39 AM   #6
Nolowrider

I think I can handle the fab work. My best friend owns a fab shop, so he can do the welding for me. But, no fab is always better. Thanks for the advice.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:40 PM   #7
zieg72

I have one in my 85. Fits fine although I am a little closer to the steering wheel than I would like. The seat also won't allow you to access the back of it. I have a seat cover on order and will retain my 85 seat after it is recovered.
zieg72 is offline   Reply With Quote