The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
69 air cab

What sells best??? Survey.....please respond

On the 67-72 trucks....what brings the most money when you sell a fully restored truck...........???
One lowered with no body side molding or
One with only the rear lowered two in. and body side molding reinstalled?
Survey says?????
69 air cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #2
byrd
Union Electrician

I like the level close to stock hieght, w/all mounldings. Black and
chrome mouldings is what I like the best like my truck in my avatar All else aside I think most of depends on who buys it from you, but original trucks can bring more. Randy
Zip:40272
Big Sandy Survivor...

Quote:
We cannot choose the way we die, but we can choose the way we live
Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
Quote:
I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors
byrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 01:44 PM   #3
Ray_71Chev_in_PA

I am not exactly answering your survey, but I would prefer a strictly stock truck.

Ray
Old 05-08-2005, 01:48 PM   #4
jamis
F.A.S.T. president

difficult survey, I dont think either of those two things will make a diffrence one way or another. To me the word restored means two make it as close as possible to factory specs.
Both of the things you suggest are modifications and would depend which way the market is going and when you plan to sell it. In selling rods everthing is timming, whats hot today may not be whats hot next week. So just do which ever you like because theres no knowing what will be "in" when you sell it.
If you restore it to stock most of the time it will increase in value as long as you keep it in good shape. Rods must always bring more money but the market fluctuates and very few ever get their investment back from a hot rod, its just for the injoyment.
I dont think any truck will ever reach the mass popularity of the tri-fives, vettes, stangs and other highly prized vehicles in most collectors and cunsomers point of views.

"A fear of the Sawsall is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ~Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis"

Last edited by jamis; 05-08-2005 at 01:52 PM.
jamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:32 PM   #5
see ten
WTB this ad

If you are building to resell, look at who is paying how much for what. If you are building it to keep, do what you like.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Randy70C-10
Account Suspended

Normally a stock height, big block powered "high optioned" truck with side trim will go for the most cash.
Randy70C-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:30 PM   #7
pjmoreland

I doubt you would ever be able to sell a truck for as much money (not to mention the time) as you put into it to restore it. For me it's all about making the truck what I want it to be.

I restored a 67 stepside about 13 years ago and went for the semi-custom look (no emblems or mouldings, lowered, wide rims, non-stock color, etc.). Since then I have grown to appreciate the stock look of these trucks. I'm planning on restoring the 72 I have now with a close-to-factory look.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 PM   #8
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by see ten
If you are building to resell, look at who is paying how
much for what. If you are building it to keep, do what you like.

Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:31 AM   #9
HuggerCST

I asked myself the same question when working on the '71 I just sold. I decided that lowering it, or customizing it would reduce the # of potential buyers more than leaving it stock height. I vote to just drop the back enough to give it a level stance. In my opinion, the body side molding definately adds to the value also.
53 Chevy shortbed
69 Camaro

Click here to subscribe
Chevy GMC International Truck Club Louisiana Charter Member
http://www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
HuggerCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:15 PM   #10
67-Cowboy

2 cents worth: After 35+ years in the body shop I can honestly say "STOCK" is always the best option. Many automotive "ENTHUSIAST" are not Automotive Professionals and often times do very poor work; or work that is detrimental to the over all condition and life "value" of the vehicle. This fact alone is common knowledge and is the first mark against an altered vehicle especially for used car dealers and knowledgeable enthusiast. The least damaging are the improvements made in the "Bolt-On" catagory; the things done to improve the vehicle by simply bolting on an after market part, such as wheels and tires, a seat cover or a better Carburetor.
Personally, I hate the body side modlings because of all the junk that gets behind them and eats its way through the body of the vehicle with rust and corrosion. I personally use body lifts on all my trucks simply for tire and ground clearance ( I hate curb scrapers!), so even lowering two inches is a big negative for me and my ilk !!!
67-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
69 Short Fleet

That is a tough one, I'd pay more for a heavily optioned short fleet 50Th. Doug
69 Short Fleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:12 PM   #12
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

I wouldn't do anything too radicl. Things that can easily be changed is a good idea. I know if I were to buy another one, rust free and good body would be a HUGE plus.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #13
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I think the trucks that bring the most money in are the fully optioned completely "originally restored" 72 cheyenne swb trucks. If your asking about your 69, I guess it would depend on whether or not it came with trim, and like the others have said, lowered is not original. Depends on what the glovebox sticker says. If you add side trim and CST stuff to a plain jane 69, is it really original?
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 04:38 PM   #14
Swbman

Slight drop to the rear, and definitely leave the side molding,IMO if someone wanted to go back to bone stock it wouldnt take much to do so..
Old 05-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #15
69 air cab

WOW........stock (with trim) is winning. 67chevyredneck, it a 69 air cab, original trim, solid body, original engine. Here is what I've done.........went stock chassie ( I even put the hand written number back on it) rebuilt original engine. Everything original on chassie so far except, lowered rear two in (leveled like Hugger suggested), painted engine and tranny red, polished alum intake, valve covers. Chassie is now like new.........I sent to bare frame, blasted and painted and came back up with almost everything new...........yes I have a lot of $ in it (hurts too)..........and that is the reason I want to be real careful with what I do with the body. I don't think at this point I will keep the truck, but you never know..........everything has been done right. So...........the "stockers" win. I really like the smooth body but I have seen the Cheynne's fully restored (frame off) go for $39,000. I really appreciate all the help. I see so many going low and no trim, which I really like, but............trim is going on thank to all of the help for all of you.
Thanks a bunch.
69 air cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:09 PM   #16
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

fix it like you own it....people will see extra effort involved in the compleation of you project......anybody can hack something together....make yours stand out.....quality work pay's.....
low budgit hack it together don't pay....plus you won't be happy.....

Last edited by rage'nrat638; 07-12-2007 at 07:04 AM.
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote