The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #1
UncleRico

Brake booster?

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to the board and to these trucks. Not the most knowledgebale guy so bare with me. Just bought a 69 shortbed 4x4 with a 350. The truck drives pretty good, but the brakes suck and it pulls hard to the right when I brake. I was told about a brake booster by the guy who sold it to me. Can anyone tell me more about this. What about the pulling when braking? Haven't looked at the drums yet, so I'm not sure what's going on in there.

Thanks for any help.

Cody
Old 05-07-2005, 06:34 PM   #2
tmcgrawlookalike

could be the brakes(bad,adjusted differently,etc.)front end components(tie rod ends,idler arm,pitman arm,etc.)are brakes manual now?or power?was he just mentioning about the possibility of putting power(booster)on truck?it won`t cure pulling to one side,just make stopping better with less effort
tmcgrawlookalike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
john_doe

It wouldn't hurt to pull the drums just to inspect the brakes. Might just need shoes and/or brake parts.
john_doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Also,check for excessive play in the ball joints(6 & 12 o`clock),tie rods(3 & 9 o`clock),and bearings(knuckles firm/hubs move,3 & 9,6 & 12,whatever).

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 AM   #5
Americanrider

My truck was doing the same thing, and it does not have a booster. When I pulled the r/f drum, what was left of the lower spring that holds the bottom of the two shoes together fell out, $1.25 for the spring, $16.90 to get the drums turned and back to stopping in a straight line.
Americanrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 09:13 AM   #6
junkyard truck

Brakes

Hey, The 1st thing you need to do is check and repair all 4 brakes. It might be simply, just adjusting or bleeding, or maybe a total brake job, but safety 1st, you don't want to bend up your truck and if you have my luck that's what would happen to me because I couldn't stop when I needed to. Good luck, Larry
Old 05-08-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
UncleRico

booster?

Thanks guys. Sorry about the confusion in my orginal post. I'm planning on pulling things apart this week and redoing the brakes. As far as the booster goes...I don't have one installed but heard that I can add one to my existing system??? I think the extra braking power is needed as it's not quite as strong as I'd like. Where would I find one? I've tried searching for it in various places on the net but don't know exactly what I'm looking for so I haven't found it.

Thanks,

Cody
Old 05-09-2005, 08:11 AM   #8
Dick Dale
Excelsior, You Fathead.

A Power Booster gives you power brakes and not more brake power, it just makes it easier to push the pedal down. It goes behind the master cylinder and you can get one at Auto Zone for about $90.
Dick Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #9
Ray_71Chev_in_PA

UncleRico,

I have a '77 Ford Bronco that demonstrated the 'pulled hard' to one side problem. The fault turned out to be the very last thing I could check: the flexible brake hose that goes out to, in my case, the caliper. They were both bad, in that they were no longer tube shaped inside. Once I replaced them, no more pull. I did what you are doing, a very comprehensive rebuild. It was just my luck that it was the last thing I looked at.

Ray
Old 05-09-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

The Basics

In general, braking systems work best when equal pressure is applied to both sides. If you have a vehicle that pulls to 1 side during braking, it generally means that either THAT side is working and the other side is not, or that THAT side is working incorrectly (too much or not releasing as it should) and the other side is OK. If any of you have bulldozers, you know this is how they STEER. Pull the right brake, and the machine steers right. Most of the time it will be a front brake issue to cause pulling. A grabbing rear brake (and front obviously) will skid in gravel to let you know. Most common causes of brake related pulling are: uneven drum adjustment (f or r), a caliper sticking in the out position or an internally collapsed brake hose (same thing happens to your straw when your milkshake is too thick) May sound stupid, but true. If you cut a brake hose in a cross-section, you will see the 2 layers, which will seperate with age. Take my advice on this one, spend the money when it comes to brakes, that dress-up stuff can wait another week. Take care, Hot Rod
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 02:38 AM   #11
UncleRico

Thanks guys. Looking into it this weekend.

Cody
Old 05-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #12
ale8oneboy

Still living in 1982 ? If ya are, a 82 front end will bolt under that 69' Becareful with that meat. Gosh!

"Color Me Gone" - Two Lanes of Blacktop
ale8oneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
UncleRico

Napoleon rocks

ale8one...wanna see my movie?

Gotta love Naploeon. It's pretty much the worst movie ever made
Old 05-11-2005, 12:26 PM   #14
ale8oneboy

Yeah, my brother agrees. He said I wasted over an hour of his life. Makes me feel good now, since i've seen it like 4 times. But he thinks the Time Machine/Nut Shocker is funny.. Where did ya find the image?

"Color Me Gone" - Two Lanes of Blacktop
ale8oneboy is offline   Reply With Quote