The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-13-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
Orion 762

Transmission replacement 71 Cheyenne

I've got a 1971 C10/Cheyenne with (I think) the original TH350 Turbo Hydramatic tx. 2nd gear has started slipping, and I need help sorting out "what's next".

A local tx. shop (with good reputation) can "rebuild" the old tx. for about $550 (quoted). Is this price in the ballpark of what's expected on these tx's??

My local Chevy dealer quoted a DELCO factory rebuilt for $1,300 (with 24K mile warranty).

Any experience on "which to pick" (cheapo rebuild vs. DELCO), and are there other transmissions out there that might work better at reasonable cost? This truck has the "pulling package" rear end (lower gearing ratio). (My son said the rear has 411 teeth instead of the normal 308, but not sure what this means. I do know that at 70 mph, the engine cruises above 3,000 rpm, and this high RPM is related to the rear end design.)

Just posting here for "suggestions and hints".

Thanks . . . Orion 762
Orion 762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 09:36 AM   #2
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I would not have any heartburn with a rebuild. If you do a lot of highway miles consider a 700r4.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #3
madisonguy

Hi Orion,

My TH350 is also on the way out. In mine, reverse doesn't work, and for right now it's my daily driver (tactical parking, anyone???) Anyway, I called my local shops and no one would rebuild it for less than $800 -- then I started looking around and I found a couple of different auto parts stores that carry rebuilt TH350s. The warranties are still in the 18-24 month range, but the prices were around $400-450.

Now I know the quality isn't going to be the same with one of these as it would be with a Delco rebuild, but I'd rather take my chances if I can get about the same warranty for 1/3 the price. And I'd rather not have a local shop rebuild my tranny for twice the cost of replacing it. So I'm going to take one of these weekends and swap out my tranny with a rebuilt one.

Just my $.02

-John
Old 05-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #4
hotrodmtodd
'Burban Legend

Gotta' Go with Chickenwing

Sounds like 700R4 time if you have low (high#) gears. If you are going to spend all that money, you might as well upgrade to something better. Big tall 1st gear ratio and overdrive, that's the ticket. Will have to consider your lockup options for an old truck (4th gear). Tranny guys can tell you how. If you are budget minded, slap another TH350 in there from a reliable seller and drive the heck out of it. If you were closer to me, I would give you one. I had a tranny go out on me in Gulfport, MS. (live in PA) Man, there isn't enough ink to print that story. Phew! Good luck on your decision, Hot Rod
hotrodmtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 02:43 AM   #5
Orion 762

I appreciate your help and advice, folks. The 700R4 looks like the best long term solution . . . but my son found a "recently rebuilt" TH350 for $75!! Installed it the old-fashioned-way . . . in our front yard, on our grass! Lots of grunting, and what a mess, but it runs fine!

Orion 762
Old 05-16-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

Glad to hear it worked out. Where are ya in Ms. ?
Old 05-16-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
Orion 762

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwing
Glad to hear it worked out. Where are ya in Ms. ?

I'm in Starkville, about 20 miles west of Columbus.

Orion 762