The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-17-2005, 03:32 PM   #1
BurnerBrown

68 GMC C20 rear gears and overall handling

My goal is to get this truck to where I can drive it like I could a newer truck. For example run down the turnpike for an hour without using 3/4 tank of gas. Currently it is all out at about 60 mph and handles like a bear.

My truck is a leaf spring dana with 4.56 gears. I would like to swap in 3.55 or 3.73 or similar gears to make it more driveable. I believe a 73-87 rear would reqiure moving the perches. Not a huge problem, but is this correct? I have a guy who can set up the rear, are gears available for the dana? I think the rear also needs bearings out at the hubs, small wine on left side. Not sure what route to go. Truck is 4sp with granny 1st, How would this tranny respond to a rear ratio of 3.73 for example...

Next thing is looking to improve the trucks handling. Would a front suspension from a 73-87 3/4 change handling much, or is the lack of sway bars the problem? I am Curretly looking around for a 73-87 front end for the disc/crossmember swap.

Appreciate all the info this site provides....

Bill
BurnerBrown is offline   Reply With Quote