The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 PM   #1
full foot notch

would this rear combination work(4link/notch)

in my never ending mind boggling quest to get my truck done i was looking at rear air suspension and was wondering, could i use the rear bridge kit from suicidedoors
[IMG]http://www.*****************/products/GENERATION-2-BRIDGE-KIT.jpg[/IMG]

or

[IMG]http://www.*****************/products/bridge-kit.jpg[/IMG]

along with this bolt in parallel 4link kit, since its already designed for my truck, from KP components

and this is the description of it
Quote:
This 100% bolt on parallel 4-link with panhard system fits 73 to 87 full size GM C10 series pickups. When used with our Cantilever bag bracket system, BOC-06, this rear kit is engineered to deliver superior ride quality and is virsitile enough to lay you out on up to 20 inch wheels and give you about 12 inches of lift over the axle. It requires no gas tank relocation and installs in just a few hours. The kit comes with all necessary bushings, grade 8 hardware, drive line notch and a complete set of installation instructions. This 4-link system can also be used with our TTB224 and UTB224 weld on axle bag mounts.
it looks like it would work, since htere is a notch to let the frame fully go to the ground, but was wanting to see if someone else saw a possible conflict between the two, and yes i know a parallel setup is not hte best, but its a weekend cruiser and not a built to drag the rocker off type minitruck
full foot notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:37 AM   #2
laid67c10

as long as the pan hard bar doesnt rub the bags i think it would work fine....
Old 05-17-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Izzy
Trucker.

The panhard bar shouldn't be even close to the bags. I would recommend a sleeve bag since you'll be installing it over the axle.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:28 PM   #4
fastbagged68

Get KP's complete kit! The cantilever and the 4 link. It works great!
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by full foot notch
.... and yes i know a parallel setup is not hte best, but its a weekend cruiser and not a built to drag the rocker off type minitruck
I seem to recall parallel 4-bar set-ups are one of the best rear suspensions available. Why wouldn't the 4-bar be good (even w/o the cantilever set-up)?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
fastbagged68

The parallel set up is a great setup! But the cantilever you don't need to weld brackets to your rearend. And you get alot of lift!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by full foot notch
Quote:
This 100% bolt on parallel 4-link with panhard system fits 73 to 87 full size GM C10 series pickups. When used with our Cantilever bag bracket system, BOC-06, this rear kit is engineered to deliver superior ride quality and is virsitile enough to lay you out on up to 20 inch wheels and give you about 12 inches of lift over the axle. It requires no gas tank relocation and installs in just a few hours. The kit comes with all necessary bushings, grade 8 hardware, drive line notch and a complete set of installation instructions. This 4-link system can also be used with our TTB224 and UTB224 weld on axle bag mounts.
I believe the above quote was from KP components site so It should be bolt-in w/or w/o the cantilevel set-up. My guess is the cantilever works well for those who desire extreme lift/travel & the 4-link would work by itself for those that don't need the extra bells & whistles.

The only thing is it would be better if one set of the bars were adjustable (but that's just a little fabrication away).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 05-18-2005 at 06:58 PM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
full foot notch

pretty much i was saying about the parallel setup not being the best is the shifting of the axle dues to the panhard bar eliptical range of movement, and that the triangulated 4 link setup does not allow as much left to right movement, and that theoretically, a watts link does not allow any left to right movement

and as far as the cantliever(lever setup if i remember, is the actual name), about getting between 1.5-2:1 ratio of bag height to lift, and i was wanting to go with the bag over axle or behind axle, just for simplicity, and for $$ reasons
Old 05-19-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
fastbagged68

If you mount ontop of axle or behind make sure you runa sleeve type bag....ie. F9000.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:23 PM   #10
full foot notch

why do you recomend a sleeve bag over a convoluted bag, i would think that the convoluted bag would have more stability for locating the axle and frame

unless your talkin like the 3800 tractor trailer sleeve bag where it rolls over on itself
Old 05-20-2005, 01:58 AM   #11
fastbagged68

Your panhard bar/watts link/wishbone or what ever you will run will locate your rearend. Double convulated ride like crap when mounted in a 1:1 ratio but ride good when mounted in a 2:1 ratio. Sleeve bags...F9000 are the opposite. Double convulated bags wont give you enough lift too. With double convulated bags you got to ride with hardly any pressure in the bags to make them ride decent on the back of a truck.
Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #12
72MARIO

Think I could mod this kit to work on my 72 with leafs ? What could the diffirences be ?
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 10:09 PM   #13
jlaird

I don't see why not. I would just rebuild everything from the bridge back.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
runsthingsover

i know of 3 trucks locally that run kp's setup, they work great, alot more lift than conventional setups and seem to be fairly reliable, i would definitly run a sleeve bag though, i believe kp will reccomend that as well.