The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-23-2005, 02:34 AM   #1
R@nger
Psalm 23

Air compressor...?

Well I searched the FAQs but couldn't find the air compressor post...I seem to remember there being one.

Anyways I have a question. I would really like to buy an air compressor for my dad(I will be using it as well ). He has been after one for awhile but he's the most unselfish person ever so he won't buy one for himself(instead he buys luxuries for his children...he is my hero ..he is my dad! ). His birthday is also coming up so I would like to give a little something back to him for all he does for us. Now he wants this for small things like filling up tires, and I have convinced him he also wants it for removing tires and such, so impact wrenches and other such tools. I would like the best air compressor for price to performance ratio. It doesnt have to be fancy and it doesn't have to have tons of outlets...just one will be fine. What cost can I expect to pay and what should I be looking for?

Also if you guys could reccommend some good tools to go along with it that would be awesome. His birthday is June 6th so I will need to purchase it before then.

Thanks in advance

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:53 AM   #2
4x4Poet

Sounds like a great gift idea. Everyone who gets one (me too) says that they never knew how they got anything done without one.

It might help to know if your dad needs a vertical or horizontal tank unit.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:07 AM   #3
R@nger
Psalm 23

I have asked him tons and tons of questions...sneaky like of course(I've been gatherin info for a long time). To your question, I believe when I asked him a while back he said he does not care, "it just needs to work". He nor I know that much about what to look for when buying an air compressor. Thats why I came here..I'm sure most of the people on this site have air compressors, and use them for the things we would like to.

Any info on good brands..what to buy what not to buy, that sort of thing would greatly help me. At this point I have to be careful with what I ask him as his birthday is very close. I will not blow this secret...I want this one to be a total suprise.

I've been browsing a couple website, Homedepot, Lowes, Sears.

Craftsman has some reasonably priced stuff but I have no clue if they are good or not. Heres the item number of a kit I was lookin at: Sears item #00916870000 heres the website. www.sears.com I was also looking at this guy #00919552000
If they don't make good air compressors then I won't waste my time but the craftsmen tools I own(wrenches and ratches and other tools) are some of the best I've had, thats why I was leaning towards Craftsmen.

Other brands I've seen are Husky, Ingersoll-Rand, Chicago, Dewalt, Kobalt, Hitachi, and Porter cable.

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 05-23-2005 at 04:40 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:18 AM   #4
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Stay away from oil-less or direct drive compressors. aAlso there is one out now that uses a universal motor like that in a vacuum cleaner. JUNK!

If you are not doing a lot of body work, there is really no need for high capacity compressors that are two stage. They are pretty expensive too.

Your best bet is a decent two cylinder single stage 60 gallon tank compressor. They almost all have to have a 230 volt outlet, so you will have to consider that. Cost is about $350.00. Coleman Powermate makes a vertical 40 gallon compressor, with a slightly smaller pump than the 60 gallon model, that is also portable and plugs into a 120 volt outlet.

Always buy a belt drive. They last 10 times longer (verified with testing), they run quieter and are generally more reliable.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:48 PM   #5
Sweet72

The Campbell Hausfeld Professional 26 gal with 4.5 hp (8.2cfm @ 40psi/6.5cfm @ 90psi) has served me well, and will handle 95% of what I need a compressor for...On the other hand when I use my pressure blaster or paint gun I have to wait for it to catch up. When I upgrade, the next compressor will be able to deliver at least 10-15cfm.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
R@nger
Psalm 23

Hmm ok. Considering you said most are 230 volt and I don't have one in my garage can I install a 230 volt? Thats what the dryer and washers run off of right..the 230 volt?

Old 05-23-2005, 03:15 PM   #7
Sweet72

Dryers and electric ranges run on 230v. Can you install a 230v outlet? Depends on your local electric code and your skills and understanding of household electrical circuits. My compressor can be wired to run on either 115 or 230.
'72 GMC SWB C1500 Custom, frame-off in progress. 383 SBC, 9:1CR, Comp Cams XE262H, Scat internal balanced crank, Eagle SIR 6" rods, Keith Black dish pistons, Dart Iron Eagle 72/180 heads, Weiand Stealth intake, Stewart stage I water pump, Holley 4bbl vac sec, TH350 with B&M Shift Improver Kit. 12 bolt positraction.
Sweet72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:43 PM   #8
R@nger
Psalm 23

Yeah thats what I'm noticing. Some seem to come wired for 230 but reading the user manuals I found they can be converted to 120 plugs.

As far as installing a 230v outlet, my dad was an electrician for many many years and I've helped him install just about ever other kind of electrical outlet, switches and things so I'm sure he knows how to do it. Hehe it would kinda be sad for me to give him the air compressor and then tell him he needed to install a 230v outlet for it to work.

How about something like this http://aircompressorsdirect.com/cata...products_id=52

Last edited by R@nger; 05-23-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:47 PM   #9
jtminton
II Timothy 4:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by R@nger
Yeah thats what I'm noticing. Some seem to come wired for 230 but reading the user manuals I found they can be converted to 120 plugs.

As far as installing a 230v outlet, my dad was an electrician for many many years and I've helped him install just about ever other kind of electrical outlet, switches and things so I'm sure he knows how to do it. Hehe it would kinda be sad for me to give him the air compressor and then tell him he needed to install a 230v outlet for it to work.
Look at it this way: if he puts in a 230 plug you can get him an arc welder next year. Think of it as planning ahead!

MY TRUE PRIDE AND JOY

"Dangit, Bobby, people will see that oil stain and think I'm a drunk."
jtminton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
R@nger
Psalm 23

Haha thats not bad at all...good way to look at it!

Last edited by R@nger; 05-23-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:38 PM   #11
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok I just got back from Home depot and I have narrowed my search down to 2 compressors(I think hehe).

The first one being this:

HUSKY
5 Peak HP 26 Gal Vertical Compressor
Model VT6315
A solid CAST IRON, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 6.6/5.8 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. Features pneumatic tires, efficient Solberg style intake filter, and a heavy-duty handle. Unit also includes a pressure switch and regulator with outlet and tank gauges.

• Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
• Space saving vertical tank is ideal for the garage or limited space environments
• Sturdy, robust handle and wheels for easier portability
• Designed to channel air over the pump for maximum cooling
• Automotive style changeable air filter
• Protective belt guard designed to channel air to cool the pump
• High quality oversized gauges
• American made CAST IRON pump
• 26 Gallon vertical tank
• Semi-pneumatic tires
• Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves

Its farely small in size and its portable

The In-store price at Homedepot is $400 The online price is 377 but then you have to pay shipping which I found was like 150 bucks!!!

THEN theres this one:

HUSKY
7 Peak HP 60 Gal Husky Compressor
Model VT6314
A solid CAST IRON, twin cylinder compressor pump for extreme durability. Offers 135 PSI maximum pressure and air delivery 11.7/10.3 SCFM @ 40/90 PSI. It also has a space saving vertical design that is perfect for your home garage or work shop. The compressor also includes an efficient Solberg style intake filter, pre-plumbed globe valve, pressure switch, and tank pressure gauge.

• Up to 5,000 hours of extended life
• A CAST IRON oil-lubricated pump with traditional design that is quieter and longer lasting
• 60 Gallon vertical, space saving tank design
• Powerful, 7.0-peak horsepower motor provides significant air to multiple power tools
• Automotive style changeable air filter
• Protective belt guard
• High quality oversized gauges
• 1070 Pump RPM
• Three-year limited warranty
• Over 35 percent quieter and 60 degrees cooler than aluminum pumps with cast iron sleeves

This one is not portable and is pretty darn big.

In-store price was $449+tax and the online price was 429+shipping(again around 150 bucks)

My question is would the 26 gallon 6.6/5.8 CFM one be enough or should I spend the extra 50 bucks and get the 60 gallon 11.7/10.3 CFM one? Also if I do go with the 60 gallon that will be able to handle whatever I want to do right?

Oh and I was wrong about my dads birthday...oops...its the 3rd not that 6th of June...I guess I'm a bad son .

Thanks!

Last edited by R@nger; 05-23-2005 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 07:26 PM   #12
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

You'd be getting about twice the compressor for $50. Instead of portability, just buy more hose.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #13
R@nger
Psalm 23

K I think I'm going to go with the big one.

I've been calling around and found out that I can make an extension cord for the 230v since the outlet is in my laundry room which is only about 35 feet from where I want to put the air compressor.

The cable is called NMFlash B and I need 83 or 63 depending on the amps of the air compressor. I asked him if the cable would lose any of its voltage and he said nope thats exactly what this cable is mean't for. The cable is between .79 and 1.29 a ft. and the connectors are 13 bucks. He said you can use this for welders, generators, air compressors. I just thought I'd share the info incase anyone else has stumbled over this problem.

Last edited by R@nger; 05-23-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:26 PM   #14
70c10swb
no brain no headache

it sounds like a good choise, ive accualy been considering that one my self. right now i have a 6hp/33 gal craftsman oil less. Its been good for me but im... expanding my tools if you will. It never let me down but when useing my whiz wheel, i have to wait for the compressor to catch up even know the tool is rated at 4cfm @90psi.

That brings me to this point, its not only the size and psi of the compressor its also (and mostly the desideing factor for me) the CFM the compressor puts out. Now from what i read, the husky that you are looking at will me more then perfect for you, wich is excelent .The more you get into body tools the higher the CFM need to be. Ex. is a DA sander and most other sander for that matter eat alot of air. But you said its more for an impact/ air ratchet, like i said its more then perfect for you.

One more tip, always drain the tank with the valve at the bottom of the tank to get rid of all the water built up in the tank, especialy if you live in a humid climet. a couple of drops of air tool oil in the tool is always a good idea too. If you really want to protect the tool think about getting an inline filter/drier.

HTH
Good luck with everything
Old 05-24-2005, 06:45 AM   #15
NPilot1975

I am thinking about getting an air compressor and am looking for good prices/compressors. I was going to go with an 80 gal Sears compressor, but wondering if it is the best bang for the buck. I will be using it for air rachets, DA sander, and may use it to shoot paint. Any suggestions? Thanx
Old 05-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #16
pierce

I can get you the VT6315 for around $300 plus $56 shipping to a place a semi can get to or shipping is more if they have to be moved to a smaller truck, I can check on the VT6314 or the equivalent like a Maxus 7HP for around $350 but I can beat those prices including warranty. PM me
Rob