The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
bluec10

Question Front End Options

I'm considering two options for the front end of my '69 GMC:

Option 1: Replace the front crossmenber with a crossmember from an '84 that I scored at the wrecker. He cut the frame just behind the front cab mounts and sold it to me with all the steering and brake parts attached. Easy to swap in. Advantage: Easy swap, 5 bolt, disc brakes, power steering, cheap.

Option 2: Keep the stock set-up, but buy new front spindles and a new disc brake set-up (or find parts at the wrecker and rebuild them). Advantage: A bit less work and mostly stock. Disadvantage: COST.

What do you think? What else should I be considering?
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
GlennBrittain

I have the same question, only a different front end donner. I have a 73 front end and all the parts still on the truck. As soon as I have some extra time, plan to go though as many post as I can find on the subject. I already know my 73 will bolt right on with only 2 holes to drill. What I do not know is if I can bolt the 73 parts onto to the 69 cradle, would be a lot easier if the 69 cradle would accept the remaing parts from the 73. If I learn anything new I will post it here.
GlennBrittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluec10
I'm considering two options for the front end of my '69 GMC:

Option 1: Replace the front crossmenber with a crossmember from an '84 that I scored at the wrecker. He cut the frame just behind the front cab mounts and sold it to me with all the steering and brake parts attached. Easy to swap in. Advantage: Easy swap, 5 bolt, disc brakes, power steering, cheap.

Option 2: Keep the stock set-up, but buy new front spindles and a new disc brake set-up (or find parts at the wrecker and rebuild them). Advantage: A bit less work and mostly stock. Disadvantage: COST.

What do you think? What else should I be considering?
you can just take the spindles out of the 84 and put them in the 69 control arms. you will need new ball joints and tie rods, but it will be worth it. also with disc you will need a new master cylinder and proportioning valve cause they are different between disc/drum and drum/drum

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:03 PM   #4
Hart_Rod

Check out my parts:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=156778

Everything you need.

Rob
robhartley@aol.com
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 11:47 PM   #5
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w/sbc406
you can just take the spindles out of the 84 and put them in the 69 control arms. you will need new ball joints and tie rods, but it will be worth it. also with disc you will need a new master cylinder and proportioning valve cause they are different between disc/drum and drum/drum
I used a complete cradle, spindles, disc brakes, etc from a 1979 c10 under my 69 GMC that was 4 wheel drum. I had to change a couple of brake lines from the master cylinder but I also added a modified disc rear end from a 1979 caddy. I used the prop valve from the caddy since it was 4 wheel disc but I used the stock master cylinder form my truck. It's a little hard to press the brakes but about as hard as it was to press with the drums. I'm fixing to modify it and and a power brake booster and master cylinder to make it a little easier.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
68w/sbc406
Got Light Emitting Diode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modifiedGMC
I used a complete cradle, spindles, disc brakes, etc from a 1979 c10 under my 69 GMC that was 4 wheel drum. I had to change a couple of brake lines from the master cylinder but I also added a modified disc rear end from a 1979 caddy. I used the prop valve from the caddy since it was 4 wheel disc but I used the stock master cylinder form my truck. It's a little hard to press the brakes but about as hard as it was to press with the drums. I'm fixing to modify it and and a power brake booster and master cylinder to make it a little easier.
you can do it that way too, but is a PITA if you have the motor and front clip on. you dont have to change the cradle or control arms, you just have to change tie rods and ball joints. the disc master cylinders hold more fluid for when the brakes wear down there is plenty in reserve

'02 Chevy Silverado LT ext cab short bed 2WD 5/7 drop on 22's(the family car)

1993 Cherokee work ride/weekend wheeler
68w/sbc406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 11:32 AM   #7
modifiedGMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68w/sbc406
you can do it that way too, but is a PITA if you have the motor and front clip on. you dont have to change the cradle or control arms, you just have to change tie rods and ball joints. the disc master cylinders hold more fluid for when the brakes wear down there is plenty in reserve
It would be less trouble without the motor in, but mine already had the engine in it. So I just removed the alternator and made me two braces that sat inside the frame railsand ran up to the front of each head. I then jacked the engine up and bolted the two braces to the front of the heads to hold the engine up till I done the swap. The front clip would have helped being off but considering mine was already together, it was alot less trouble to make the braces and just jack the engine up than it would have been to remove the front clip and engine. It took about 2 or 3 days working outside in the evenings during cool weather.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
bluec10

Any opinions about the quality of the 67-72 control arms/bushings vs. the 73+ versions? The 73+ seems to be a more robust piece.
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote