The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-24-2005, 12:26 AM   #26
BraveDave

My truck won't ever be for sale, so I don't care!!
Old 05-24-2005, 12:27 AM   #27
sefb13

about 7 months ago, i snagged my 72 longbed C-10 from the original owner, with 63k miles on it, for 2800 bucks... i found the original receipt for the truck in the glove box, and the old man had actually made 50 bucks on our deal! he paid 2750 brand new.
sefb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:30 AM   #28
4x4Poet

Good thread question.

I think the gas is the big one. But I still expect (without surety) that great trucks still sell. Remember the lifted 70/71 4x4 pickup with 36" tires, 427 BBC, and great paint and interior that sold for $22,500 on e-bay? At least, I'd say rich people will always be around to buy the trophy trucks. The lesser trucks seem to be a problem sell.

I've also noticed that complete, rust-free burbs sell well. I'd guess because they appeal to family hauler needs. IOW, the truck can be a classic and a useful family vehicle, vice a toy that some pickups can be.

I've also noticed some major mistakes made by sellers:
1. Clean, complete, painted truck with a rusty booster and master cyl that ruins the appearance of the engine compartment.
2. Original A/C truck with the A/C non-functional and even the compressor missing.
3. Poor sell: Undetailed write up, lack of a good word picture, no link to more pics, even mistakes on model designation that raise suspicions, perhaps unwarranted.

When I sell my K10 burb I'm restofying (I'm working towards having only the K20), I'll deliver it anywhere in the Lower 48. Hopefully that will bring in da bling bids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
...NADA says my truck dropped $3,000 in average value since January 2005....
Could you delineate this, exactly. What exact truck and what values (trade in, retail, etc.) The slippage in NADA value concerns me more than an perceived trend on e-bay.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:35 AM   #29
curbyk
69 C-10 project

Some people don't have the money to pay cash, and most don't have the clout with a finance company or bank to get a loan for a truck (or any vehicle) of this age. Look at the interest on a new car/truck compared to one 5 or 10 years old and the term of the loan. They usually won't loan the money on something this old unless you have so much money in the bank you don't need the loan.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:58 AM   #30
GMC AMI

Question NADA Guide VS CC + Truck price guide.

IMO NADA is geared more for the seller and CC is more for the buyer! What a difference!

http://www.vmrintl.com/cctm/coll_frame.htm
Attached Images

Last edited by GMC AMI; 05-24-2005 at 07:00 AM.
GMC AMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 08:42 AM   #31
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

I think gas may have a little to do with it, but i don't think that is the deciding factor. If that was the case nobody would be driving these @ daily drivers and nobody would be driving bigblock. It seems to me that people always find a way to feed thier toys. Look @ our friends up north who pay significantly more for gas than we do here in the states. Look @ the guys over in Europe - who are paying dearly for petro. And they still have their toys.

I think the E-bay trend is probably due to the "scare" that you can't really see what your buying - can't hear it run - etc.

And I agree that selling locally is better for both the buyer and seller. But I just noticed that these trucks aren't really selling here on the board or on E-bay. but i guess it is mostly a distance/trust issue.

when I get ready to sell it will be in local advertisments and Will probably end up taking it to Carlisle Truck Nationals the first weekend in August.

I'm surprised @ all the replies on the thread guys. Thanks for the input

Just a note on NADA and KellyBB or RedBook or whatever else you guys like to use. None of these truly reflect what the market is bringing for any vehicle (including New vehicles). I work for an insurance company as an AutoDamageAppraiser and use this stuff everyday and almost NEVER does a "real world market value" of a vehicle come close to a NADA or similar value
-'69 Chevy C30 Mason Dump

-'33Ford P/U 396ChevyPowered
arkracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:04 AM   #32
iluvmy72

The gas is not a factor. OK say you want a new car.....lets say a Honda Accord. Payments for that will run 380 a month for 5 years. Not to mention full coverage needed to the lender to feel safe. A truck on the other hand won't cost that even though it will burn more gas. Plus the fact that you can help the milage issue with a overdrive addition.
I was at a show the other day and saw a nice LB with hardly any rust. Body looked good and he was only asking 2,000 for it. I almost forked it over but got ugly looks from my wife. So I helpd off. I was actually going to buy it for her but she really wants a 68 Cutlass S . She has hotrod fever but for a mussle car. Not a mussle truck. Oh well....can't win'em all

Last edited by iluvmy72; 05-24-2005 at 11:14 AM.
iluvmy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:26 AM   #33
JayDubBlazer
go cyclones

I see what is happening with the pickups, but has anyone noticed the increase in blazers/jimmys especially the 2wd. I think 2wd are becoming the new tow hooks.

PROJECT OLE GREEN

1972 Blazer 4X4 350/700R4
2017 Silverado LT
JayDubBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #34
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing
... I work for an insurance company as an AutoDamageAppraiser and use this stuff everyday and almost NEVER does a "real world market value" of a vehicle come close to a NADA or similar value
I think you lost all credibility for your argument with the above statement. Insurance companies DO NOT live in the real world, they hover in a created reality to increase their bottom dollar and fragment actual losses.

I'll tell you the answer to the question of why arn't the 67-72 trucks selling for as much any more?

It's simple supply side economics. The interest in these trucks began peaking 5 years ago. The supply of these old trucks is pleanty to withstand the market demand. Initially prices spiked because of the movement in interest toward the right. Then people started dragging every rusted/dented up beater out of salvage yards, and aftermarket parts are as easy to get as a 12 pack of bud. People now realize the supply, and the prices have equalized. The only high dollar trucks you will see are those that are highly optioned, all original or highly unique.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #35
Sillyoldman

People on ebay are willing to take a certain "sight unseen" risk. For most the best buyer protection is a screaming deal. Those that want a show quality rig will likely look closer to home and spend good money after the vehicle has been inspected and driven.

JMO

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:08 PM   #36
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlilly
I think you lost all credibility for your argument with the above statement. Insurance companies DO NOT live in the real world, they hover in a created reality to increase their bottom dollar and fragment actual losses.

You've got my attention - please explain your above statement as it does not make sense to me. Working for an Insurance company has nothing to do with the value of a vehicle - I was just stating the fact that I have experience with NADA and BlueBook and RedBook and ADPMarketSurveys/CCCMarketSurveys

What I was trying to say is that in a specific market area (at least hear in the northeast) the vehicles for sale @ a dealership or on your neighbors front lawn are usually going for a lot less than an NADA or KellyBlueBook value. Just like our trucks are going for alot less than what they "Should be worth"

If you go to NADA.com and go to the collector car section - punch in your truck...year and options. then read thier description of "low retail, average retail, and high retail". Think about what category your truck would fall into. Look at the number and ask yourself if you would get that kind of $$$ for your truck right now in your area of the US.

I punched mine into NADA '69 SWB StepSide No Options and it came out @ $5750 for a low retail value:
Here is there description of Low Retail Value:
"Low Retail Value
This vehicle would be in mechanically functional condition, needing only minor reconditioning. The exterior paint, trim, and interior would show normal wear, needing only minor reconditioning. May also be a deteriorated restoration or a very poor amateur restoration. Most usable "as-is".

Note: This value does not represent a "parts car"."

I think that might truck is much nicer than that description - frame off, early classic drop, all new Moog suspension, All rust/rot cut out and repaired with new sheet metal - not show quality but not amature, rebuilt motor, 700R4, all new brakes, weatherstrip, etc. etc.
And I think I will have a hard time getting that kind of $$$ for my truck - even being "restored"

Note: Average Retail Value:

Average Retail Value
This vehicle would be in good condition overall. It could be an older restoration or a well-maintained original vehicle. Completely operable. The exterior paint, trim, and mechanics are presentable and serviceable inside and out. A "20-footer".

A "20 - footer" and completely operable

Last edited by arkracing; 05-24-2005 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 05:49 PM   #37
hotrodtroy

Here is an other place to check out.Drive Online

"It's o.k. to dream about what you want to do, until you start doing what you are meant to do." Line from "The Rookie"
hotrodtroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:53 PM   #38
Maximum Overdrive
December 21, 2012

In our bodyshop we work with insurance companies day in and day out and they live in their own reality to what things cost and what they want to pay for damaged vehicles. Time and time again I have seen insurance companies try to cut a bid or tell us what our profit margin can be on parts even so much to state that we can only charge x dollars for a part. We have even had insurance companies try to pay us less than the what the bid was accepted for. Of course to that end nothing makes an insurance company pay up faster than a pissed off customer calling them saying we wont release their car until payment is made in full.

Insurance companies have a govenment sponsered market and want to charge a arm and a leg and then fight to no end not to pay a claim when the time comes. What happens is insurance companies try to dictate what the value of a car is by trying to override what the market says the vehicle is worth. Most times they win because the consumer is clueless on the matter.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:47 PM   #39
pjmoreland

"Maximum Overdrive:Most times they win because the consumer is clueless on the matter."

Or because the consumer gets frustrated. Insurance companies don't care how long it takes to settle a claim. They don't care how long you have to go without a vehicle.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:24 PM   #40
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Arkracing, you used your occupation as justification to your argument that the books are skewed to the high side. In many cases the books a actually are too low. It's the owner that is unrealistic when they think they have a show vehicle, when actually it is a 20 footer needing complete restoration to be like it came off the factory line. As stated in Old Cars Price Guide , Krause Publications, Inc. "In general, most of the vehicles seen at car shows are no. 3's".

#3: [sic] "20 footers".
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #41
screamin_c102
Account Suspended

If you truly want to know what the value of your truck is, have it appraised by a certified pro. Not saying you'll get that much for it, but it gives you a bartering chip.
screamin_c102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:49 PM   #42
arkracing
Weekend Warrior

Max Overdrive: the thread wasn't started to debate insurance company practices, it was a simply question on a trend that '67-'72s aren't really bringing that much $$$.

I can't speak for an insurance company other than mine and I do not know the laws in your state but most states have an insurance department that heavily regulates what insurance companies can and can't do - that doesn't mean that they don't break the rules but like i said without knowing the laws in your state i can't really comment on them telling you what your profit margin ona part is - I know in this part of the country the insurance company will pay list price on just about every part out there (unless it is aftermarket Fog lamps or Vent Shades or something to that nature)

Most states also regulate how an insurance company can value a vehicle as well. So if an insurance company is deliberatly lowing values to "screw" the customer I'm going to venture to say that it is an illegal practice. I have never had a porblem with someone saying that the valuation of thier vehicle was too low "due to insurance company error" usually it is someone who has a grudge and wants every penny they can get - not what is fair and resonable and it is usually someone driving around in an '89 olds ciera or chevy celebrity who thinks thier car is worth the same as the day they bought it.

[pjmoreland - it is actually in the company's best interest to settle a total loss claim quickly as the longer they wait the longer you are in a rental car (if that coverage is provided by your policy) and the more $money$ the company pays for your claim.]

I never said that I worked for AllState or Progressive - so lets not start an Insurance company/Body Shop Fight - as I have to deal with that everyday of the week as do you

Sorry if i struck a nerve or something with my comment. Next time I'll just keep my mouth shut when i have a question about trucks

dtlilly - i honeslty don't know what the market for 67-72's in the GreenBay area is so i can't say if the books are too high or too low. But if you look @ the above post how can you say that a "20-footer" is the "average retail" of a vehicle and that the average retail of a '69 Chevy C-10, SWB, StepSide with no options is $9600. You can't even sell a restored truck these days for $9600. I still don't see how that is on the low side for the vehicle. But then again I don't know the market in other parts of the country. And I totally agree that it is "supply side economics" but I don't agree that every drivable truck out there is worth $3-5k as NADA is saying per "low retail" in thier description.

I don't know the answer to this but, is Old Cars Price Guide nationally recognized as a vehicle valuation guide??? as NADA or Kelly Blue Book is?

Real world example (outside of my "created reality" insurance company): My personal truck - 1997 Chevy S-10 4x4 4.3L 5-speed, Alloys. And I would say that it was in "average retail condition" wasn't super nice but was well maintained and wasn't all beat to he// NADA was about $7000 last summer. I had to sell the truck for $5000 and that was the only offer i got on the truck. (real world market value was $2000 less than the book? ?)

guess I should just stop coming to the board or at least posting as everytime I do someone has a problem with me

Last edited by arkracing; 05-24-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:05 AM   #43
PICKMUP
"Trucks with Class"

Project trucks and parts (new & used) are selling well. I don't personally see any slow down here. As said earlier, guys like to build their own nice personalized trucks.
Ebay vehicles are too scary, if you can't see them. They are almost never as described! I wouldn't buy a higher dollar vehicle I couldn't inspect.
Hot models will always sell and get the bigger bucks, everywhere. SWB, Cheyennes, CSTs, 2WD Blazers, and top-of-the-line 4X4s will always sell.
Vehicles that are poorly built or need work are not going to sell unless they are "CHEAP".
Old 05-25-2005, 01:09 AM   #44
pjmoreland

arkracing, I'm sorry you feel like you're being attacked. Sounds like you are quite knowledgeable in the area of car insurance. I personally have had a handful of somewhat negative experiences with insurance companies (not just auto insurance). Of course my family has also been a burden at times on my insurance providers, so I guess it goes both ways. I'm sure that by the time I die, I will have paid way more into the insurance system than I will have received in claims. I guess that's what keeps the insurance companies in business. Although it may be more emotional than logical, insurance companies do tend to strike a chord with me. Sorry you are getting picked on. I guess there's always a risk in stating your opinion.
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:16 AM   #45
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

arkracing, don't get yourself all worked up! I agree the "lost all credibility" comment was a bit coarse but we are all a bunch of guys stating our blunt opinions. If we were all standing around in the garage, dtlilly might have been handin you a beer when he said that!

For the record, I enjoy and value your posts.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:06 AM   #46
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Ya! I was handing you a beer bro! I have a habit of saying what's on my mind with out sugar coating it, so don't have a cow man.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:14 PM   #47
4x4Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkracing
...if you look @ the above post how can you say that a "20-footer" is the "average retail" of a vehicle and that the average retail of a '69 Chevy C-10, SWB, StepSide with no options is $9600. You can't even sell a restored truck these days for $9600...
I'm not so sure that is true, though I must admit I'm not watching 67-72 ebay sales closely.

A month or two ago a complete, original, rust-free, unrestored, 71 or 72 C10 burb with ~67k miles, factory A/C, and a years-old original color (light yellow) repaint (1 after GM) was on auction with a $15k "Buy it Now" price. Except for the boring color, it was a real nice burb in the kind of low-mileage shape that we wish all these trucks were still in. Not perfect, but real nice. After about 4 days, the price had gone up to $8700, then BAM! Somebody hit the "Buy it Now" price.

Are those days gone? I sure hope not because I've already put too much into my K10 burb's restoration. Fortunately, I'm doing all the work myself to save labor costs (the killer) and to learn a few new things along the way for the burb that I'll keep. So, I'm not wasting my time but, if this thread is any gauge, I may have lost any profit potential.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:54 AM   #48
rwgregory

Personally, everyone I know that has bought something on E-bay has gotten hosed!!
This goes for cars,motorcycles,cameras,jewlery,you name it... Something was always
broken,missing,not up to advertised condition,etc. I wouldn't buy a dead cat on E-bay!! Every time I buy or sell a vehicle I use printed advertising like the local newspaper classifieds, auto/truck trader, specialty magazines classifieds,etc. Then
get hold of the other person on the phone and talk it out. If it sounds good enough,
see the item in person. The net is a great way to find an item, but in my opinion
nothing beats personal contact. If prices on E-bay are out of line, SCREW-EM!!
Thanks for letting me rant...
rwgregory

67 GMC 2500 ,2w/d wide box
305 V-6, 4-speed
rwgregory is offline   Reply With Quote