The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2002, 04:17 PM   #1
Southpa

Got new pics of latest work done...

I know, it belongs in the paint and body section but not everyone goes there. Anyhoo, move it if you must. These are step by step pics of chopping out and welding in a corner patch on the driver's fender. Also step by step pics of welding in a rocker panel on passenger side. I'm not posting all the pics in this forum, just follow the link and look in the 2 photo albums labelled "Fender" and "Rocker Panel". There are other sets of pictures in there as well from previous work I've done on my truck.

http://groups.msn.com/Alsplac/shoebox.msnw

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 06:03 PM   #2
wxman1

Thanks for putting up the link. Great pix...learned a lot. My 1969
C10 has some similar rusty spots. Thinking of replacing the floor pans, rockers and cab supports. Aint gonna do it now...its
95F in the shade here in Tennessee...Whew!!!

Jim M.
wxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 07:30 PM   #3
smitty62

I checked out the whole site including the pics from work---if you're so damned smart how come you haven't figured out how to fit that Mitsui diesel in your pickup?
Seriously, it's a great site and the info shown on rust repair is just great! I hope I can do half as well when I replace my panels--way to go!!

Stepsides look like real trucks!
Smitty

smitty62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 09:18 PM   #4
jostrans68
Jostrans68

one concern the so called Myth about fitting with doors is not a myth its not the opening front to rear you need to be concerned with unless you remove all floor bracing. Its the up and down and you just cant weld it into the old location as new parts not the same. I did this the first time got luck pass side was great drivers was high in back and the door rubbed. If yours fit great you got lucky but this is my 4th set and I always fit the door. Not meant to offend you just my experiance so far . Your project is looking good. Heres mine I did today just a little spot putty and Its done ...take care and keep on trucking...Jack
Attached Images

Last edited by jostrans68; 08-03-2002 at 09:22 PM.
jostrans68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2002, 11:58 PM   #5
chevy71super

Jack is soooo right. Unfortunately I used "tabco" brand of rockers, their tooling is getting old and the lip where the weatherstripping hooks on is not sharp like it needs to be. (GMC Paul mentioned this.) My drivers side door rubs and doesn't line up as well as it should. I am considering re-doing but I don't know if it is worth it. Keep up the good work, it'll be a sharp truck!!!
chevy71super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 12:33 AM   #6
Southpa

OK, I've retracted the "myth" comment from the site. I don't know what other kinds of rockers are made that won't fit properly. And I guess you can't really tell until its too late. But if its aligned improperly you can still get a lot of leeway out of door adjusting to compensate. But I know there are exact tolerances to keeping the door lines straight while still having it function properly. That can be tough at times. Unfortunately, my doors were a bit out of whack to begin with, lol.

Anyway, the rocker I got was made of original thickness metal and was an exact copy of what I replaced, as they should be. I wouldn't buy otherwise.

Old 08-04-2002, 03:31 AM   #7
stllookn
Saving 1 truck at a time!

Southpa, Nice work and thanks for posting...this is helpful. If you fish half as good as your body work...I'm coming to visit! Are those Kings and Silvers runnig yet? Keep up the nice work!
'69 Flxible Cruiser (look up ugly in the dictionary)
stllookn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2002, 02:24 PM   #8
Southpa

I've taken the summer off from the fishery work and am doing small contracts on the other job. It gives me lots of time in between to work on the truck and take advantage of all the things growing in the backyard, lol. The are lots of salmon swimming around out there. I guess everyone is gearing up for the big Fraser R. sockeye run about now.

As far as the truck goes, I appreciate the comments. I am aware that some of the welding may look a little sloppy, at least not like some of the work the pros are doing, (efabman comes to mind, lol). But thats stick welding for ya! The end results are still solid, after all a weld is still a weld.

Last edited by Southpa; 08-04-2002 at 02:52 PM.
Old 08-05-2002, 01:47 AM   #9
jostrans68
Jostrans68

Maybe when I get mine finished I will head up your way. The wife and I love to come up there on the old BlaclkBall ferry. It would be fun to take the truck up there.. Dont worry what the welds look like mine are not the greatest either but a grinder and a little filler make us look as good as the next guy. It takes a special breed to play with these trucks. I think you did a great job documenting the repairs keep up the good work and Keep on Truckin' Jack In Wa. State........
Old 08-05-2002, 11:17 AM   #10
oldburb

Thumbs up

Looks good! As for a weld is a weld that is not true I attemted to weld a floor pan in my suburban and quickly found that it take a talent that I do not have. So if you are ever in TN you can weld for me any time!
Old 08-05-2002, 11:38 AM   #11
ebfabman

Thumbs up

Southpa, thanks for the compliment. But I'm no pro, just a hobbyist. I think it doesn't matter how the welds look as long as there's good penetration. The only time it may matter is if there will be no paint on the metal, which is not usually the case. Protecting the metal from the elements after repairs seems to be whats important. I think what really matters is will the ole truck be solid again? By your pics, I would say YES.

GOOD JOB!
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote