The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
R@nger
Psalm 23

Electrical wiring kits?

Hey guys, I'm trying to replace my power to the distributor because it decided it would stop putting out power and as I've been tracing wires around I've noticed that this truck has recieved the most horrible wiring jobs I have ever seen. I'm guessing it was from the previous owner as it matches with the other work he did on the truck .

My question is the wiring is so hacked I was wondering how much it would be to just buy a whole new wiring harness for the engine compartment. I remember seeing a couple posts where people had done this and were really pleased with the results so I'm just wondering who sells them and around how much.

The cab is a 71 GMC C15 and the engine is a 77-79 I believe. It has an HEI in-cap coil distributor, no a/c.

Thanks

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
cowboy33713

Howdy;
I think we may both have trucks formerly owned by the same fella - space will not allow me to go into even half of the things I've corrected on my '67,
but wiring is one of them. I've replaced the front harness ( headlights, front signals, alt, regulator, etc) and the engine harness ( starter, distributor,etc)
and, except for a couple of minor differences, had no trouble putting the new wiring in. Will be replacing the Nightmare under the dash soon, as it was "jury rigged" by someone with more ambition than skill. I used the kind that Manes sells through their catalog and website
www.manestruckparts.com. I haven't tried everybody, but these folks are good!They do not stock everything for my 67, but if they need to backorder something, they CALL to let me know. Shipping on in stock items has always been fast for me, and NOT because I'm their biggest customer, just because they give good service.
They catalog harnesses for trucks with HEI conversions. No doubt several suppliers do. GMCPaul's should get a look, too. He's another fella who knows some stuff!
Hope this helps!
cowboy33713
cowboy33713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:12 PM   #3
Nima
Blue 67

I was and still am investigating different wiring harnesses since that is one of my future plan for my ignored 67. As far as I undrestood, Ron Francis Wiring is one of the best which even customize the harness based on your need. As you guessed by now they are not cheap. Painless also make all sort of wiring harnesses. I never used them but lots of people in this board have used them and liked them. The price for complete Painless wiring harness is anywhere from 250 to over 300$. I don't know how much is for engine harness. Almost everybody caries them, jeg's, summit, gm pauls etc. I hope this helps.
Nima is offline   Reply With Quote