The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #26
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

I love loud trucks and cars, they sound Bad Azz!!
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #27
Tom
driving is in my blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike76251
There is NO valid reason (to me) why one would make there vehicle loud
Somtimes I can care less about flow and restriction, I just want that deep rumble in my belly and sweet sweet music in my ears from my flowmasters doing their thing. Thats all the validation I need. Does it help my milage and power? Sure thing. Sounds like a win-win-win again thing to me
-CBR600F4i, CBR600RR, CBR1000RR, and standup skis
DISCLAIMER: I cant spell for the life of me.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #28
78' Silverado
\/ My Loves \/

Quote:
I HATE loud trucks!! or cars
The real goal I had years ago was a set of headers and mufflers that had around 2 psi back pressure with no noise.
People putting on a set of loud mufflers just says to me "they must REALLY want attention" 'cause they didn't get it as a child.
There is NO valid reason (to me) why one would make there vehicle loud.......they claim to want more power doing that but you can do that without the noise.

I did it with a set of Hooker headers and two Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos (part 289-17789 from Jegs) and I have no noise and very little back pressure.

The easy way is open headers but the legal and hard way is little back pressure and headers.

Wanna argue?
State the back pressure of your system and the decibal level

Did it ever occur to you that they just enjoy the sound of a loud system....Why go stright to assuming someone had problems as a child lol. Seems to me your a lil mad at loud exhaust system. Did someone forced your ear to one while they revvvvvved its to 6k lol.

383 Stroker in progress for the 78'!!!
78' Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:43 PM   #29
86swb
Born a Chevy Man

Quote:
I HATE loud trucks!! or cars
The real goal I had years ago was a set of headers and mufflers that had around 2 psi back pressure with no noise.
People putting on a set of loud mufflers just says to me "they must REALLY want attention" 'cause they didn't get it as a child.
There is NO valid reason (to me) why one would make there vehicle loud.......they claim to want more power doing that but you can do that without the noise.

I did it with a set of Hooker headers and two Dynomax Hemi Super Turbos (part 289-17789 from Jegs) and I have no noise and very little back pressure.

The easy way is open headers but the legal and hard way is little back pressure and headers.

Wanna argue?
State the back pressure of your system and the decibal level
I do not like loud myself. But I do like a deep melow tone coming out the rear. Always have.

*1986 Chevy SWB Silverado
*1984 Chevy Longbed Silverado

New Kia Sportage (Wife's car and she loves it)

CHEVY, American made w/pride!

If you can read this, YOU NEED TO THANK A TEACHER!
If you can read this in ENGLISH, PLEASE THANK A SOLDIER!
GOD BLESS AMERICA AND BLESS OUR FIGHTING TROOPS

Last edited by 86swb; 05-25-2005 at 09:44 PM.
86swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #30
screwballl
Tonawanda 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86swb
I do not like loud myself. But I do like a deep melow tone coming out the rear. Always have.
then stay away from me on chili night, wont be able to get you away from me.

-seriously it is better to have a deep rumbling from a good set of glasspacks or series 50's then to have this loud open pipe or ricer sound... although open pipe on a big truck is very nice on the open road.
yes the ricers were obviously neglected as children, it is all that yelling and lack of attention that makes them beg for more attention by making noise.
If they weren't neglected and been raised properly, they would have learned what a true american truck/muscle car is worth.
-------------------
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 01:45 AM   #31
jimfulco

Dynomax has Super Turbo mufflers in a longer version (20" case vs. 14") and they are not loud at all. The 2.5" Super Turbo (the 20"-case version is pn 17749) will handle around 380hp per pair with negligible back pressure.

There's an old Skylark around here with a mild 455, & it has those mufflers. At idle and part-throttle, the loudest sound from the exhaust is that of the headers. Even at WOT, it's not at all offensive. It also runs 12.80's, fully muffled.

If you use an X-pipe or a very short H-pipe, the sound will be a little quieter and not as uneven as that of a separate dual system or one with a long H-type crossover, especially at idle. Running the tailpipes out the back can help with inside noise.
jimfulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 02:42 AM   #32
bluejimmy76

I would suggest going with the dynomax "hemi" super turbos, they are longer than the standard super turbos, and they are quiet and sound awesome!
I have 2 1/2" hemi's with headers all the way out the back with an H pipe and the tail pipes exit out by the hitch and have just alittle downward angle.
Attached Images

Owned:
76 chevy suburban
85 chevy K1500
90 chevy C1500
90 chevy K1500 sub
97 chevy C3500 crewcab dually
2000 chevy C3500 crewcab dually

Last edited by bluejimmy76; 06-04-2005 at 02:44 AM.
bluejimmy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 03:20 AM   #33
71chevylongbed
Got Horsepower?

if you cant hear it before you see it, whats the point??? i like to let everyone know im coming! setting off car alarms is fun too
2001 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4 inch lift, 35" Toyo MT's on Ultra wheels, P-Pump Conversion, AFE intake, Fass, 5 inch exhaust, Pyro,Boost,and Fuel pressure guages, and a whole bunch of other stuff "The Money Pit"

SOLD-71 Chevy C10 long bed- 2/4 drop-- 350,th400, Edelbrock performer RPM intake,Edelbrock 600 CFM carb,Crower 240 cam,port and polish,Dynomax headers,HEI ignition,dual 2.5 inch exhaust with Flowmaster 50 series mufflers
71chevylongbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 04:51 PM   #34
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

The dynomax "hemi" mufflers are the way to go for quite and do flow pretty good for being quite. Flowmasters really don't flow all that well at all like the name would lead everyone to believe.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:58 PM   #35
crawdad

The shop that did the work for me stocked the Dynomax Super Turbos. One of the men that worked there had a set on his truck and let me listen to them. I really liked the sound so I decided to go with them. 2 1/2" pipes straight out the back. Not too loud, and just a little rumble that makes them sound just about right. I'm happy now. Thanks to all for the good advice.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:11 PM   #36
truckinbean

Hey Crawdad, did you go with the 14" case or the 20" case? I've got headers and dual 2.5 flowmasters with the pipes out the side in front of the rear tire. I want mine quieted down too but wasn't sure if the dynomax's would do the trick, since i've never had them before. I'm still trying to decide what to try first, the dyno's, an H-pipe, or some ram's horns. It would probably help to route it straight out the back too, but I'll do that as a last resort if I have to. I was also wondering how much header ping you had, if any, and if the super turbos helped that at all.
Performer 1400 carb
Sanderson Headers/Dual 2 1/2" Flowmasters
truckinbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #37
crawdad

Danged if I know right off hand. I really didn't pay any attention to that. I was just so happy to finally have a quieted down truck, all I could do was sit there and listen to it run. I'll measure them tomorrow to see for sure. As far as ping, I may be getting a little bit (just a tiny little bit), but it is hardly noticeable at all. I know one thing for sure, however; the high lift cam in the engine combined with the headers and straight through pipes, makes for some powerful exhaust pulses. One of my female co-workers was standing behind the truck at work today when I cranked it up, and it blew her loose fitting skirt almost up to her head!

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 06-07-2005, 02:21 PM   #38
KShortell

I understand the original point of this thread quite well. I don't want a loud truck, either. Having tinnitus (permanent ringing in the ears) does that to you. Anyway, I've been running a Flowmaster 3-chamber Delta Flow muffler for five years now and love it. It's mellow and not loud. My exhaust dumps out the driver's side behind the rear axle. You do get some resonance at a drive-through window, but it's not too bad.

It flows more freely than the old generic system did. Gibson was another option I considered. They do a lot of truck and motor home systems. Loud isn't what you want in an RV. I'm probably going to go with a Gibson in my 4-banger Jeep next time around. I don't want it loud, either. I love the 4-banger (spirit of the original MB/GPW, you see), but a loud 4-cylinder isn't all that "cool" to me...

Good luck!
Old 06-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #39
KShortell

And, yes, those extra loud 40-series and other systems literally cause discomfort by making my ears literally "buzz", sometimes to the point of really pis$ing me off if I've got listen to one for too long.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:28 PM   #40
PHOENIX

I heard a few guys say the aero chambers are loud.
I have a single 3" system and at idle and lower RPM's it is barely louder then the stock type system I had before. When you really get on it, its a little louder.
Exits behind drivers tire like stock, can have both windows down and have a conversation no problem.
Near walls, like at drive through, you hear a little more sound, but nobody has to speak up or anything.
Nobody I have asked considers it loud.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:02 PM   #41
truckinbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
As far as ping, I may be getting a little bit (just a tiny little bit), but it is hardly noticeable at all.
Was there a lot of ping to begin with, and did the super turbos helped quiet that down too, or was there already not that much ping with the other mufflers?

You might want to check this out too: http://www.dynomax.com/rebateform.stm

You might be able to get $50 back on your mufflers. I think I'm gonna get some through Summit before the end of this month. With the rebate I'll only pay $14 apiece for the 14" case or $21 for the 20" case, once I decide which ones I want.

Ben
Performer 1400 carb
Sanderson Headers/Dual 2 1/2" Flowmasters
truckinbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #42
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinbean
Was there a lot of ping to begin with, and did the super turbos helped quiet that down too, or was there already not that much ping with the other mufflers?
To tell you the truth, when I got the truck the mufflers were rotted out, and the tail pipes had just about fallen off. It was so loud I couldn't hear myself think, much less hear any ping. Sorry I can't help you on that one. As for the length, sorry again, I didn't measure them today. We had a water heater burst and our den and kitchen floor were flooded. It's been chaos around here today trying to get all the mess cleaned up. (And it was my day off too )

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado