The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #1
bigarmzz

bed patch panel question

a friend of mine picked up a 86 short bed 4x4 really cheap, and is wanting to put on some patch panels on the bedsides.....

my question is...he (and i both) dont have any welders....cant we just put on the patch panel over the area, rivet it on (maybe 1 ever inch or so)...and hammer in around the panel, then putty it up???

i was just wandering if we could do it this way, instead of cutting out the area, and welding it in (like its suppose to be done)

i know i posted this in the paint and body section, but i got no responses, that's why i just put it here
Old 06-09-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
CHEVYE
my gas saver

not if you want it done right, it should get you by though. if you really have to rivet the panel you can get a little flanging tool that will make an indentation in your bed and the panel can go over that. it will probably rust out pretty fast though.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I'm not sure how well the rivited panel with body putty would hold up (and look). You may want to consider a bonding adhesive. Autoshops are using these adhesives in place of panel welding. 3M makes a GM-compliant adhesive. This may be what you're after. If done right, the repaired panel is unnoticeable. Your local autobody supply store should carry it. You can also find suppliers on-line. If you decide to use it, let us know how it turns out.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:36 PM   #4
bigarmzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
I'm not sure how well the rivited panel with body putty would hold up (and look). You may want to consider a bonding adhesive. Autoshops are using these adhesives in place of panel welding. 3M makes a GM-compliant adhesive. This may be what you're after. If done right, the repaired panel is unnoticeable. Your local autobody supply store should carry it. You can also find suppliers on-line. If you decide to use it, let us know how it turns out.

how much is the 3m panel adhesive?..is it expensive??....i looked some on the web, and couldnt find any.....
Old 06-09-2005, 05:47 PM   #5
CHEVYE
my gas saver

it's called "3M automix". any shop should sell it, it's tough too. try this http://www.autobodydepot.net/scripts...sid=0609145633
ebay feedback

Last edited by CHEVYE; 06-09-2005 at 05:48 PM.
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
milehightoyz
AttentionDeficitDisorder

i dont know of anything made by 3m that is not expensive besides maybe post-it flags??...but they are one of the best so you get what you pay for
milehightoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 01:05 AM   #7
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigarmzz
how much is the 3m panel adhesive?..is it expensive??....i looked some on the web, and couldnt find any.....
Try searching for '3M Automix Panel Bonding Adhesive'. It should return to you quite a few links like CHEVYE posted. HandsOnTools sells it for $33.76 for a 200 ml. cartridge. Like milehightoyz said 3M products aren't cheap. (BTW, I do have some 3M tape flags and in various colors. )

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote