The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
chevy4x4girl

Steering arm removal

I'm installing my lift today and I have to remove and reinstall a new steering arm. I removed the cotter pin and nut. I also removed the three nuts on top of the arm. Now I dont how to get the arm off. It says that I'm suppose to hammer it. Do I hammer it on the bolt pictured? I'm going to use an impact hammer on it so I want to make sure I'm hammering the right thing. Thank you very much.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/prince...4c.jpg&.src=ph

http://members.cardomain.com/chevy4x4grl
chevy4x4girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 07:34 PM   #2
k-20

all you have to do is give the side or the back edge of the arm a cuple of hard smacks with a hammer(you might find it easier to pull the wheel off first),this just jars the cone washers loose,they will pop up,pull them off,then the arm will lift of.

Last edited by k-20; 06-11-2005 at 07:35 PM.
k-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:22 AM   #3
see ten
WTB this ad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy4x4girl
I'm installing my lift today and I have to remove and reinstall a new steering arm. I removed the cotter pin and nut. I also removed the three nuts on top of the arm. Now I dont how to get the arm off. It says that I'm suppose to hammer it. Do I hammer it on the bolt pictured? I'm going to use an impact hammer on it so I want to make sure I'm hammering the right thing. Thank you very much.
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/prince...4c.jpg&.src=ph
I paid a guy to remove mine and when I saw him do it I felt like an idiot! He took a large socket that was bigger than the size of the cone washer and placed it on top of the arm. He hit the socket with a BFH about twice above each washer and they just popped right out. I bet it took him less than 3 minutes and he never broke a sweat. I have suggested this method more than once to people on the board but no one has said if they have tried it. It worked great with no torch, PB, WD and no ruining of the ball joint.
see ten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
chevy4x4girl

Well I got it off by pounding it with a hammer but it was a pain! The air hammer didnt do a thing so it took me about an hour to get it off by myself. After all I only weigh 110lb

http://members.cardomain.com/chevy4x4grl
chevy4x4girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
70short/step

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy4x4girl
Well I got it off by pounding it with a hammer but it took me about an hour to get it off by myself. After all I only weigh 110lb
110lbs?? That how MUCH the Hammer Should weight!!
Glad you got it off....

70 Short/Step
70short/step is offline   Reply With Quote