The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2002, 06:32 PM   #1
Jmac05
L.E.D. Tail lights, Baby!

Speakers

If money wasn't that much of an object, What is the best brand of speakers. I am not going to try and bust windows with bass, I am after "pure sound, pure music" Is pioneer the best? What about an amp?
If interested, visit:
www.earlyclassic.com
or our website:
www.jmcled.com
All 67-72 GM Taillights are on sale untill 5 p.m. on Dec
15th, with Guaranteed Christmas delivery!

joel.mcwaters@jmcled.com
Jmac05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:38 PM   #2
Big69C20 Toy
Livin' it up.

depends on what your going for and what type of speakers, midrange, subwoofers, tweeters, what? what you wanna do with em? i'm assuming it's for your truck so sizes and all that would be a good thing to look at posting.
Big69C20 Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:56 PM   #3
TheMattMan

Cool

I agree with Big......you need to figure out size, and if you are doing a complete audio setup. Do you wanna go cheap $500 dollars, decent $2000 dollars or BadA** for 5 to 10,000 dollars. I have never gone with all one brand of speaker for a setup only because I think some brands make better midrange vs. sub, etc... As far as good sound and not vibrating body parts and rumble I would go with a complete all round setup. Tweeters - Polk, Midrange I would say either Polk, Kenwood, Pioneer, ( your best sound is going to come from 2 sets of midrange-- dash + doors etc..) As far as subs if you are looking for nice clean sound I would go with a pair of 10's. Maybe MTX, I have always had good luck with them. Make sure you get a box rated for your subs or have one built or if your talented enough build your own custom box..if you don't it just won't sound as nice. For your amp it depends on how many you are going to run.....You could very well run 3+ amps in your truck for each set of speakers including tweeters. Now if you get yourself a nice head unit that can push out enough wattage you can use it for your midrange...or if you want a little more from it get an appropriate wattage amp to run your midrange, and a larger amp for your subs. I like Pioneer, Mtx etc amps but to each his own. If you hunt ebay you can land yourself a good deal on a setup - just make sure you get it from a good seller. I just put together a very nice 2000 dollar system for my wife for about 600 dollars from shopping ebay. This didn't include the box but only because its going in a Vette and I am building a car specific box(fiberglassing it and painting it to match the car she doens't know how good she has it <g>)

Sorry about the length.....MattMan
Old 08-06-2002, 07:02 PM   #4
jay-dawg
chevelito

sup man....this is going to be a purely biased purchase. I took 2 months to listen to all the speakers and make my decision. Some people have different hearing ranges than others. If you go to some audio forums, you will see all the time on how some brands are better than another. Usually its only a handful of brands that come out on top. My answer would be

1)Do your homework on speakers. I forgot what forum I used to go to for audio, but try and find out what others are talking about.
2)Listen to all the speakers that are around your area and rate them according to sound quality, price, etc. Bring your own CD with you (something you usually listen to) and play the same song for each speaker.
3)Go to shows and talk to owners about their setups and listen to those setups that closely resemble your truck. Ask tons of questions.

Here is what I run in my s10:
Infinity Kappa 6 1/2 separates run by a 200 watt US amp.
2 12" California speakers powered by 400 watt california amp.
Kamelion Head unit.

Its not much but I like the sound quality the infinity puts out. Hope this helps.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
jay-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 08:19 PM   #5
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

You go Jay-Dawg!
I also run Infinity Kappa series 6 1/2" in my truck along with Infinity Kappa tweeters and an Infinity Basslink 10" sub with 10" passive radiator powered by a built-in 200w Class D amplifier.

Very clean sound, handles lots of power. I bought all my sound system new on Ebay from various sellers. Just gotta be patient and wait for the deals. I spent about 3 months looking for the right prices to put my system together.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 04:41 PM   #6
jay-dawg
chevelito

thanks pont for the thumbs up Pont.

I too went to ebay to get the deal on my infinity kappas. Just be patient grasshoppa and you will see the light.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 08-07-2002, 06:13 PM   #7
Tracy Focht

Like these guys stated, it really depends on how much you wanna speand, and what type of music you listen too.
Remember, it will only sound as good as the money you have invested.
if you need help, you can email me at work.

tfocht@kicker.com
Tracy Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2002, 06:41 PM   #8
'72 Cheyenne Super

If money is no object.....

MB Quart or Focal mids and tweets, and JL audio subs.
(JL is virtually impossible to beat for their product/customer support. Check out their website!)

I'm really partial to Precision Power (PPI) amps, especially the older "Art Series" amps (A404, A300, A600, A1200, etc). Plenty can be found for reasonable prices on eBay. Hard to beat the sound and the price. I know a lot of people like Rockford Fosgate, but I think PPI has a cleaner amp.

I'm currently putting a system together for my '02 GMC 4x4, and it will consist of MB Quart separates (front), MB Quart coax (rear), and a JL Audio 10W7 sub (in a sealed box for best sound quality, not 'BOOM'). Amps will be an A404 (bridged, front), A300 (rear), and a bridged A600 for the sub.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:47 PM   #9
jay-dawg
chevelito

sup man,
yeah those were what i was comparing when I did my homework:

infinity
mb quarts
boston acoustics

The infinity is what was in my price range though. ...so if money werent an object iI wouldgo with the boston acoustics.

jay

Aloha from Honolulu, HI
Old 08-07-2002, 09:37 PM   #10
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

I used to work at a high end stereo shop, not a hack shop like Mickey's, and I always loved the sound of Boston Acoustics. If you want pure sound, then get a set of the 6.5 in Pro Series components. And for subs we always did JL Audio. They are about the best. As for amps, if you want clear sound go with a PPI, they are not the highest rated for power, but they make up for it in clearity. Never go by the peak output of an amp, that is just to get you to buy it, look at the RMS output. I like to think of the peak output as the ILS scale, meaning If Lightning Strikes scale. Because that will be the only time that $150 1000 Watt amp will ever come close to 1000 watts.

Just my 2 cents.
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote