The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
ChevyCowgirl

Still Not Finished!

I need to blow off a little steam here. The guy who is helping me on my truck is employed by my dad yet he still acts like I should kiss his hairy white ass everytime I mention working on my truck. He says that I have a bad attitude...and thats why hes not working on it. Whatever he hasnt seen a bad attitude yet. Its not like there is that much left to do yet he wont get on it. I would love to have her complete by June 23 to go to NY but I dont see it happening! Whats left is putting on the front bumber, something with the core support, putting on the grill and trim and hooking everything up to the engine...and painting her. I realize that it is a lot of work but he is getting payed pretty well to do it. The weather has been pretty nice here so i dont see what the problem is. If he would just hook up the crap to the engine and fix the core support I could do the rest. I had the exhaust sysytem almost all hooked up and he told me that I'd have to take it back off and wait for him to hook the other stuff up first. Why??? I have not a clue. So I wasted about 3 hours puttng it all on just to take it back off. I mentioned hiring someone else to do it and he got all defensive about it. He doesnt understand that I'm not really loving this buick LeSabre that I've been stuck driving since the beginning of May. I told my dad that I was getting irritated that it wasnt getting done and he got pissed because he and Vick (the guy working on my truck) have been friends forever. So im kinda up the creek here!! I miss Old Red!! Shes the best truck ever!! she had character and she looked so nice going down the road....its like seeing your best friend in the Intensive Care unit except its in my driveway not a hospital. I dont know...Im just really bummed out..he told me that she would be done for graduation which was friday night and shes wasnt so i had to drive the lesabre to my freaking highschool graduation..it was a let down most definately I always had the biggest truck in the school parking lot and now its the grandma car that doesnt look good covered in mud like Old Red did. Its a shame to have so much power just sitting there not being used. I miss her.
ChevyCowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #2
COBALT

Is there some sort of reason you're stuck waiting for this guy to work on this truck? Is the truck yours, or is it your dad's? I noticed by your profile that you're almost 18. I'd say just do the work yourself (minus the paint). This would be a good way to learn. Hanging the bumper, installing the grill, and setting up the engine is surprisingly easy to do - provided you have some help.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
dtlilly
Account Suspended

I agree, do it yourself. I don't know what the hell exhaust has to do with the grille? Your dad must not want you to drive it for some reason, and he's held up his buddy from finishing the work. Are you willing to turn a wrench or hold the end of the bumper to get it done, or are you out with friends when work should be done No offence, don't take it that way... I'm just trying to understand.
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:29 AM   #4
Hoods69BadBowTie
Chevys Kick A$$

That suxs. I hate when my truck is broken and I am waiting to get paid to buy parts for it or waiting for a buddy to help. Is ther any reason you could think of that he would be like this or is this how he usually is but not around your dad. I can't see why the he// the exhaust would have to come off either but. Everything except painting it should not be to hard.
-Later
-'86 K5 Blazer Silverado 6.2 4" lift 35"s
-'95 Ext. Cab Shorty 4" Tuff Country rolling 35" M/T's
-'83 Monte Carlo T-Tops. 126,500 Original Miles
-LATER
I would rather push a Chevy then drive a ford!!
Hoods69BadBowTie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:53 AM   #5
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

CC, if i was closer, i'd come over. sounds like we could have her going in a weekend. i hate seeing stuff sit too.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 02:54 AM   #6
sdkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBALT
This would be a good way to learn. Hanging the bumper, installing the grill, and setting up the engine is surprisingly easy to do - provided you have some help.
And this place is full of help. Give a shout, someone will be here to steer you in the right direction.

Help somebody...If you can....VanZant

We're not wrong, we're not sorry, and its probably gonna happen again. That's the truth about men.
Tracy Byrd

Member# 13924
'70 c10, 350/350
'68 c10 250/4spd
'68 c10 no eng/trans fac ps/pb/ac/at
(future father/sons project)
'48 Chevy Loadmaster
sdkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 05:48 AM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Sounds like Ol`Footdragger doesn`t really want to do this work and is only doing it because he`s your Dad`s buddy.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 AM   #8
ChevyCowgirl

The truck is mine its in my name and I bought her, I pay the insurance and up until now I have payed for everything when it has gone wrong. I would have payed him on my own but Dad offered to pay him.
I have no problem getting greasy or turning a wrench I actually enjoy it. The only time I am not there to help is between 2 am and 8 am and 6pm-9pm and thats when i work.
Maybe I'll start working on her today if he has a problem with it he can deal with it. I'm sure Ill be adding a crap load of posts because when it comes to hooking everything back up to the engine I'll be lost!! Thanks guys!!!
Joy~
Old 06-13-2005, 03:01 PM   #9
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Too bad you're not old enough to buy With that you could probably get enough guys to come finish things in one weekend. And they could teach you a lot about doing things yourself. Even without the beer, you might be able to get some of the members to come and help.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 03:20 PM   #10
COBALT

Ok. I just was curious based on your age if this was some sort of Dad vs. Daughter thing. I know my dad would sometimes seem like he would randomly disagree with something I thought was perfectly fine and it would end up as some sort of wierd argument or dissagreement.

I would even think whatever I was doing was pretty clever or thought I was making a good decision. Usually it was because I was doing something he didn't agree with, or he thought I was getting in over my head, or he was annoyed that I didn't consult him first...that kind of thing.

I remember one time when I was about 20...home from college while doing construction work over the summer. My dad had bailed me out the winter before by helping me buy a new pickup to replace my broken down money pit, and without asking me bought this Gem Top canopy for it I hated. Anyway it was summer, and I was doing construction work where throwing stuff in the back of the truck without a canopy sounded appealing, so I off-handedly said I was going to take the canopy off and store it in the shop.

He flew off the handle, and cut me down in front of some of his friends saying I was unappreciative about everything, I didn't know the value of the canopy, etc.....

Looking back I understand why he got mad. He thought (and still thinks) that a truck is useless without a canopy, so when he bought it for over $600 he thought he was doing me a HUGE favor. I didn't see it that way, and I made it known, but instead of him thinking "man, that was dumb...I shouldn't have gone out on a limb and bought that stupid thing"...he thinks I don't understand how valuable it is, and I plan on simply taking it off and letting it rot in the weeds.

To the contrary I didn't like it, but I figured it could go back on in the fall when it started to get wet...

The point is it felt totally random at the time for him to put his foot down on something so stupid...

By your initial post I had this mental image of your dad telling his buddy to stall you because he had some object lesson up his sleave for you or something...

Sounds like nothing's blocking you. I'd just go do the work yourself. If your dad is worried you'll screw up your truck try making a compromise: you'll do the work and your dad's buddy (whever he has time) can inspect your work, and tell you if you did something wrong or something...just a suggestion.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 06-13-2005 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:33 PM   #11
ChevyCowgirl

My dad thinks that this buick lesabre is the best car ever and he doesnt see why I want to drive an old chevy truck. He doesnt understand that the buick is a grandma car and that I NEED a truck for the farm work. Before we decided to completly redo my truck he was all about it he had me running here and there for him all the time to pick stuff up that he couldnt haul in his car. And then I bought the buick and hes decided that i should stick with it. Well Im not going to be driving it any longer than i have to be. Fair season is coming up soon and I cant haul hay straw and TMR in a car.
Ive been doing some work on my truck today though. I put the exhaust mannifolds back on and also hooked up radiator hoses and the steering column. Before I have to go to work i would like to have my brakes hooked up.
Also, all of my plug wires are unhooked, how do I know which wire to put on which plug???
Old 06-13-2005, 03:55 PM   #12
COBALT

Yeah that sounds like my dad. He's Mr. Practical. He thinks his old 1986 Ford Tempo is a collector's item, because it's a reliable car.

He's totally lost when I explain how cool my truck will be some day.

As far as your plug wires - one thing at a time:

Do you know which one is the #1 terminal on the distributor, and has the distributor been seated correctly (through the intake at the rear of the engine)?

Basically your plug wires are hooked up in this order going clockwise: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. This is what's called the engine's "firing order". It means cylinder #1 fires first, then #8, then #4....As the rotor spins under the distributor cap (as your engine crank and cam turn over) the terminal on the rotor makes contact with the terminals on the underside of the cap making the high voltage connection from your engine's power source down the plug wire to the spark plug for each cylinder. Each one fires in turn in that order as the cylinders move up and down in the bores. It's all synchronized. The cylinder is supposed to be compressing fuel and air at the very moment the rotor under the distributor cap makes the connection for that park plug. BUT...the distributor has to be set correctly...otherwise the spark plug will try to ignite what's in the cylinder at the wrong time...and your engine won't start. Getting the timing right on an engine is a very common and sometimes difficult problem to work out.

The cylinders are numbered 2-4-6-8 on the left side and 1-3-5-7 on the right side. So as long as your distributor is seated correctly all you have to do is hook up the #1 wire, then the #8, then the #4, etc, and work your way around the distributor until they're all hooked up....

...but your engine timing may be WAY off if your distributor isn't set correctly. One good thing to have in any shop is a basic Haynes manual for these Chevy trucks. In the engine section they outline the firing order, how to set up the distributor, checking the timing, etc.
Seattle, WA.

Last edited by COBALT; 06-13-2005 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2005, 04:14 PM   #13
COBALT

Here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

Buy this manual and keep it handy while working on your truck. You won't be able to use this thing word for word, but it will help you through some basic stuff, and it has some cool ideas on how to debug things like your ignition system, checking timing, vacuum, compression, etc.
Seattle, WA.