The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-09-2005, 02:36 PM   #1
mysticdragon

Stupid Question.

Ok, now to most of you here this is probably a stupid question... but my father always told me that the only stupid question is one not asked... so here goes.

When I bought my truck the windshield washer fluid worked fine.. now the wipers work still but I'm not getting any fluid when I call for it... and yes, I checked the fluid level first I don't know exactly how it works but I'm assuming there's a pump of some sort that is activated when you turn the switch on... could the pump be fried? or???

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
ttfn
Mystic.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'Wow ... what a ride!!!"
mysticdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #2
CHEVYE
my gas saver

just listen to see if the pump comes on. should make a whining noise like an electric fuel pump....... then go from there.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #3
a28doc
'87 V20 4x4

if not the pump you might also check your fuses... Doc
a28doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
86 GMG

are your rubber hoses connected and\or are they free of weather cracking and just not reaching your windshield good luck
Old 06-09-2005, 05:24 PM   #5
BoeJaker1976

Make sure that the ends of the squirters arent clogged or make sure your uncle didnt paint over them......like what my uncle did.
BoeJaker1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
Earl Filter

If the motor runs, and you don't see any leaks, yet you still aren't getting fluid, stick a needle down the nozzles to unclog, or blow compressed air from the nozzle end back to the reservoir.
1989 Jaguar XJ6 in the middle of an LT1/4L60E swap
Earl Filter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:12 PM   #7
KShortell

I'm betting the pump is dead. A good diagnostic is to see of the connector is getting power when the switch is actuated. Another is to hook up the pump to a 12V source. If it runs, your problem is farther up the line.

The above advice is all good, by the way. Good luck!

Last edited by KShortell; 06-11-2005 at 11:13 PM.
KShortell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Turbo85GMC

Disconnect the hose from the washer bottle and blow through it. If it's not plugged, replace the pump. I got no windshield juice from mine, even thought the pump would hum. The hose/nozzles weren't plugged, so I took off the washer bottle (the pump is attached to the back of it) and the pump was like swiss cheeze. It crumbled to death when I tried to take it off. Anyway, I got a direct relplacement for like $15 and now I have nice clean windows.
Old 06-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #9
cliffsta
Stepsides RULE

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShortell
I'm betting the pump is dead. A good diagnostic is to see of the connector is getting power when the switch is actuated. Another is to hook up the pump to a 12V source. If it runs, your problem is farther up the line.

The above advice is all good, by the way. Good luck!
Yes, i must tend to agree the pump is dead. EVEN if its still turning, its probably worn out. The one on my truck died before i was born, daddy said it lasted all of a few years. The older ones (like pre-84, whenever they changed the whiper design) have a very, very crappy mechanical pump that is built into the wiper motor.

If that's the case, and you don't feel like doing surgery on your wiper motor, LMC and Chevy Duty sell (i think its the same) "universal" wiper motor, i bought one and it works great. You just take the power from the old pump, and bring it to the new pump, and mount the new pump to the fender.

Tis' times like these I wish i had a digi camera so i could show you mine.
2009 Kawasaki KLX-250S too many mods for this signature
1999 Honda Accord EX 4-cylinder, 17" Motegi Wheels 215/45/17 Sumitomo tires, Tein S-Tech lowering springs, KYB GR2 shocks, Acura TL 20mm rear swaybar, debadged, blackhoused headlights, Short-Ram Intake
Cardomain of the Accord
cliffsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 08:11 PM   #10
mysticdragon

Well guys, thanks for all the advice.. turns out the motor was fried. Replaced the motor and everything is all hunky dory again

thanks again... it's appreciated
ttfn
Mystic.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- 'Wow ... what a ride!!!"
mysticdragon is offline   Reply With Quote