The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-15-2005, 12:49 PM   #1
Matt67C10

Question Hello All, Truck won't start

Hi All, I've been lurking for too long and finally joined. I inherited a 67 C10, 6cyl 250ci stepside. The truck hasn't run in 9 years, and when it was put to bed by my father-in-law, it was running erratically and was difficult to keep running. I had the carb rebuilt, replaced all hoses, drained and filled gas tank, replaced plugs, plug wires, cap, rotor, points, condensor, coil, battery, battery cables and I still can't get it to start. I set the point gap to .019, never moved the distributer. Two weeks ago I got it to run for 2 seconds and then die. Now when I crank, it just turns over but doesn't seem to be firing. Fuel is getting to the carb, when I pull the throttle I can see it squirt in. I'm now baffled and have no clue why it won't run?
It has become quite a project, the body is in pretty decent shape.
This is a great site and I look forward to being able to post and interact.
Matt67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Next step would be to check if your getting spark. check at plugs, then I would check the timing. Since you know ti ran bad when it was parked, it could have been off then too.

Welcoem to the board and ll the fun of having a great oldtruck.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #3
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

welcome to the board! No start. Bummer. Fuel, spark and then timing. Sounds like you verified fuel. Spark?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I need to type faster.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:07 PM   #5
Matt67C10

I'm going to check the spark when I get home tonight. Do I just pull the plug and hold the wire with pliers, with the plug near the side of the block? I got a spary from a beetle coil once that I won't soon forget.
How can I check the timing if it does not run? Can I use the timing light while cranking the motor? I have no idea what the timing for the 250 should be, the sticker in the engine compartment is gone. I had a 75 chevy van once, but don't remember what that timing was.
The truck has some rust, none cancerous. My father-in-law wants to spring for having all the bodywork done righta and having it painted. Can anyone in PA recommend a good body shop in the Slatington/Allentown Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania?
Matt67C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Welcome Matt

Welcome Matt:
Have you done a compression check yet? These engines have a tendency to have the rings freeze up when they sit for long periods and the compression goes away. If the timing is ok and the spark is good then fuel and compression are all that's lacking. You said you have fuel so it only leaves compression. These old sixes are real reliable and I have seen them run forever so here's hoping you can get her fired up.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 01:21 PM   #7
Matt67C10

Thanks Vette, I didn't think of compression. I squirted a bit of oil in each cylinder when I canged the plugs. My dad loaned me a compression tester, I'll check that out. I'll check the spark when I get home, too. The truck only has 67,000 original miles, most of which my wife's pappy spent driving through the potato fields. It's got the West Coast Jr. Mirrors on it, and a step bumper on the back. Anybody know if this could have been original? It's rusted and I was looking to replace it. It is not mentioned on the glovebox option plate.