The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-21-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Cool interesting find...

http://www.pypesexhaust.com/sys-gmtruck.html
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:49 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Swervin installed a set of those that he bought from CptKaos about a year ago. IIRC, he liked them.

Slonaker
Old 06-22-2005, 03:21 AM   #3
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

me also
Old 06-22-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie
me also
How do you like them? How much fabrication was required to get them to fit?

Slonaker
Old 06-22-2005, 09:29 AM   #5
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I personally had a hell of a time. But I installed it myself, it was my first time to install a complete exhaust. I also used two catalytic convertors for my dual exhaust. I have hooker competition headers also. I ended up having to take the x-pipe setup out when I had to have an exhaust shop fix it better than my attempt. I couldn't get it to tuck for anything in fact it was almost dragging the ground. I work on it and try really hard but it just wasn't enough to get it done the way it needed to be or to satisfy me. I really like how it sounds, its quite but it will get louder when you get on it. I sometimes wish it was a tad louder but I am really happy where the sound is now. The other thing is there isn't any carpet or anything my cab currently and I can still talk and think very easy in it.

I can send you a sound movie, and pictures of my modified setup of the system. I haven't forgot about the flange pictures I was going to take and send you either. I will also get those sent out with them.

If I dont have to get an echeck anymore Im going to order the system again and use it with the x-pipe and noooo cats.

BTW I have a double hump transmission crossmember installed so Im not sure how that would work on your if you have the stock over and under one.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

The fact that you had a lot of trouble answers my questions completely. I won't need pictures, thanks. I seem to recall that Swervin had some trouble, too.

I have a regular crossmember, so I am pretty sure that it would fit even more poorly on mine. My concern was that it was a universal system for our trucks, even though there were so many different combinations of equipment available. One size fits all usually means it fits nothing well.

What "flange pictures" were you supposed to send me? I don't recall that conversation, and could not find anything in my PMs. Of course, I don't recall a lot of things that I probably should...

Slonaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MylilBowTie
I personally had a hell of a time. But I installed it myself, it was my first time to install a complete exhaust. I also used two catalytic convertors for my dual exhaust. I have hooker competition headers also. I ended up having to take the x-pipe setup out when I had to have an exhaust shop fix it better than my attempt. I couldn't get it to tuck for anything in fact it was almost dragging the ground. I work on it and try really hard but it just wasn't enough to get it done the way it needed to be or to satisfy me. I really like how it sounds, its quite but it will get louder when you get on it. I sometimes wish it was a tad louder but I am really happy where the sound is now. The other thing is there isn't any carpet or anything my cab currently and I can still talk and think very easy in it.

I can send you a sound movie, and pictures of my modified setup of the system. I haven't forgot about the flange pictures I was going to take and send you either. I will also get those sent out with them.

If I dont have to get an echeck anymore Im going to order the system again and use it with the x-pipe and noooo cats.

BTW I have a double hump transmission crossmember installed so Im not sure how that would work on your if you have the stock over and under one.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:20 AM   #7
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

The flange I was talking about was the whole 6 bolt 7 bolt exhaust deal. It was dealing with the cylinder heads and exhaust issues.

To clarify my exhaust is now tucked better the exhaust shop did that. Maybe what I would do is get the system and have an exhaust shop that is willing to install it like you want it. My headers hang down kinda low for me. So there isn't really much that can be done about that other than bend some pipe to get the rest of the exhaust system to tuck nice. I didn't have the instructions to go by to cut the exhaust I forgot them at home and just went with it. I must say I did a really good job of getting it installed. But the problem was that just hung down to low and with me not having a tube bender or anything like that made it ruff. I could have built some stuff to get it to work but I didn't think about it at the time. This is where its nice to have it done at an exhaust shop to be able to do those little things to make it work better.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:36 AM   #8
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I remember the flange thing now. I think you said a 350 was installed in your truck using the 305 exhaust manifolds and some sort of adapters. I would still like to see that, especially since I am still having engine problems.

The photos of the pypes system look really good, but it seems that the savings you get by buying the system are lost on the money you spend having a professional make it fit. I might be worth it in the end, though, just to get the corssover and the mandrel bends.

Thanks for following up.

Slonaker
Old 06-22-2005, 10:40 AM   #9
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I'll get them sent out today. If not please remind me.
Old 06-23-2005, 05:36 PM   #10
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

This is MylilBowtie's video of his exhaust with this system on it:

http:\\http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com\tech...pesexhaust.wmv

I believe Swervin didn't have a problem with the system from the conversations we had about it. He told me he liked it.

This is the link to it on my online catalog:
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/merc...ode=73-87UHood

The kit was designed to be a bolt in for a LWB truck and to be cut to fit on a SWB truck. It WON'T fit a 4X4.
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com

Last edited by Captkaos; 06-23-2005 at 05:46 PM.
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
MylilBowTie
Right turn Clyde

I can make a better video sometime if needed. I should have let it warm up a little before I made the video.