The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-25-2005, 10:00 PM   #1
Gramp'sGold70K20
New

Suspension and shock suggestions

Need some input regarding new leaf springs and shocks for my 3/4 ton. The front leafs are starting to sag quite a bit and the shocks are probably shot. I know I'm going to loose a kidney from all the bumps! The truck is my daily driver. I don't off road with it. I like the 4 wheel drive in the winter though. I would prefer a smoother ride. I would like to purchase the parts from a supporter of the board if I could. Any suggestions on the type of shock and 2 or three leaf spring package? Which is better for my type of driving?
Gramp'sGold70K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 12:45 AM   #2
tomatocity

I am going to guess most of the selers sell the same products or can. There should be a kit with all the items you need with one purchase. Find a seller that you are comfortable with and make them happy. Things to consider. Shipping costs, sales tax, what if you ahve to return the items. Do they have them in stock or will they have to order them? Are they being shipped from there business or from teh factory? Cost!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp'sGold70K20
Need some input regarding new leaf springs and shocks for my 3/4 ton. The front leafs are starting to sag quite a bit and the shocks are probably shot. I know I'm going to loose a kidney from all the bumps! The truck is my daily driver. I don't off road with it. I like the 4 wheel drive in the winter though. I would prefer a smoother ride. I would like to purchase the parts from a supporter of the board if I could. Any suggestions on the type of shock and 2 or three leaf spring package? Which is better for my type of driving?
Old 06-26-2005, 10:09 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp'sGold70K20
The front leafs are starting to sag quite a bit and the shocks are probably shot.
This acurately describes how mine was several years back. I talked to many people about getting the springs re-arched, but I instead got a 2.5" Skyjacker Softride kit (includes rear blocks, but I never installed them). I couldn't be happier with them. I put KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on, which are a bit firm but not harsh, and they are fairly cheap (like me!). Not sure if I can find the p/n for the shocks; I know they are longer.

I just remembered, someone on this board recently had a set of those for sale, in new condition. Lacking a search feature, it may take a while to find the thread.

Edit: only took a few minutes! Not exactly local, but here it is: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=161505

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay

Last edited by Stocker; 06-26-2005 at 10:14 AM.
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #4
Gramp'sGold70K20
New

Thank you Stocker! I will investigate the springs for sale. Does anyone have other ideas or suggestions?
Gramp'sGold70K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker
I put KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on, which are a bit firm but not harsh, and they are fairly cheap (like me!). Not sure if I can find the p/n for the shocks; I know they are longer.
I saved what I thought was a box from a front shock. It had p/n KG5417 on it, which according to the KYB website is a rear shock for our trucks (front shock is p/n KG5408). Looking at my truck, the top & bottom mounts are the same, front and rear. I couldn't find the specs, but it appears my longer front shocks are actually rear shocks - but they fit and work well! A KYB dealer could likely find the specs for you to verify proper length - or simply pull those shocks off the shelf and compare lengths, collapsed and extended. Good luck!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote