The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-27-2005, 09:59 AM   #26
knsmodels
I make Models

Well not my truck but dumb non the less.....I was doing some work on the Chevelle with my Dad.....not even sure what we where doing but it had something to do with timing and the carb. My Dad is in the car telling me to work the carb linkage to get the motor going ....boom big backfire through the carb....I was seeing white spots and cinged the hair on my face (eyebrows, mustache, hair)......my Dad says are you alright...I say yes....he says you go work the ignition I will work the linkage.....Guess what he got??...Like father like son I guess..... ...at least it was only hair and we can laugh about it now....

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #27
70GMC_BOB

when I was 20 I had owned/driven was a 63 f**d fairlane and a 70 1ton truck. so I was changing my oil oil in a 95 nissan pathfinder(trans drain plug in front of oil plug) for the first time. drained some fluid, I was going for the filter and my buddy(grinning the whole time) says you might want to drain the oil first, so I say I just did. he says ok i take off the filter and out comes all the oil. he got a good laugh out it After I figured out I drained the tranny fliud first. the other day he asked if i come change his oil since his tranny needed a new filter. LOL

Last edited by 70GMC_BOB; 06-27-2005 at 12:05 PM.
70GMC_BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:36 PM   #28
TWOKEELYA

The stupidest thing I ever did wasn't what I did, rather what I didn't do. That is I didn't put any thought or effort into protecting it and it was stolen. In retrospect, a $2.00 kill switch somewhere or a lock welded to the underside of the hood would have saved my 68 c20 custom 4x4 and $7,000 and let me say after replacing it, I miss it even more. It was a really nice one, much better then the replacement. I only hope that the parts from it are helping my fellow board members fix thier trucks.

Richard
Old 06-27-2005, 12:51 PM   #29
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I installed a rebuilt 350 in my 67 and my uncle was helping me get it going. I primed the oil pump, did all the pre-fire stuff.... and the battery I had was crappy. Trying to get the post on better my uncle tapped the positive post with a pair of pliers, than we hooked the battery up to a charger that had a "start" mode. As soon as I hit the ignition (the hood was off the truck) I saw a bright blue spark arc across the post and heard a very loud BOOM. The battery exploded and it blew two of the sides out of it. Thank GOD! my uncle backed away before I turned the key so no one was hurt. The explosion blew the tops off the battery; one landed about 10 feet from the truck but the other went over the garage and was found in the backyard the next day, it blew the sides out and acid was all over my newly painted engine and inner fenders. I quickly cleaned the acid off, we got a new battery, and she fired right up DON'T EVER MESS WITH BATTERIES!!!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 12:55 PM   #30
fastwillie 696969
~Rest In Peace~

i saw a dude lose his truck and boat all in one pull at lake oroville ca.few years back at limesaddle marina the dude drop off his brand new boat then park his brand new ford ranger came back and try to start the boat the battery was low wont start so he pulls the boat up to the ramp and goes gets the truck no trailer he left it up in the parking lot so he gets the boat up as close as he can so he can jump the boat with the ranger goes to pop the hood on the ranger and next thing you hear is the parking brake releasing then the ranger rolls down and hits the back end of the boat which heads out towards the lake as the ranger with the drivers window rolled down takes on water and is sinking at this time this dude is doing the (WTF dance) trying to figure out which one to save with jumper cables in hand so i had my son get his jet ski to get his boat and bring back in then he called a tow company to pull his ranger out
i work at ford dealer in chico and monday morning here comes in the ranger on back of the tow truck trying to get warranty work done LOL

B___H please, I can remove 90% of your so called "beauty" with a kleenex
fastwillie 696969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 04:25 PM   #31
72MARIO

Put the tranny crossmamber in backwards.
1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 PM   #32
72c10step
WHYBYNU when old will do?

A couple years ago I replaced the old 4-core radiator I had with a new one. A few weeks later, the alternator quit on me, frying the battery in the process. Replaced the alternator and battery, checked the charging voltage, and it was reading around 15.5 volts! Figured I should replace the external regulator also (before I knew about the internally regulated conversion), and dropped the old one as I was removing it, putting a fresh hole in my brand new radiator. Needless to say I was pretty pissed about that one!
-1995 Polaris XCR600 Custom
-2003 Honda 300ex
72c10step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:01 AM   #33
garold99

About 4 years ago my truck dies on me. No electric, no nothing. I would turn the ignition and it was like I didnt have one. I figure the truck may have overheated so I get out and open the hood. Can you guess what comes next? Yep, being the complete idiot that I am I grab the radiator cap and twist it off. I can testify that although the truck was not overheating, the antifreeze was extremely hot as it sprayed all over the front of me. I found out then my reflexes was pretty good.

Anyhow a few weeks ago I was having a leak in my radiator, so not having the money to repair or replace it I went the alternate route and did the radiator stop leak method. Well the instructions said to add it to the radiator and run it or drive it for 20 to 30 minutes. I did that no problem. Then I get out to see if its leaking anymore. Boy was I happy it wasnt leaking. Then I think, , I hope its not leaking because there is no antifreeze in there. Can you guess what happened? Yup, found out my reflexes was still pretty good.

How many times must I spray myself with hot scalding antifreeze before it finally sinks in?

Last edited by garold99; 06-28-2005 at 01:03 AM.
garold99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 01:25 AM   #34
Jojobubbajr

How High

After spending years and more money than i care to acnowledge on my 69 chevelle retoration. One day after resto was complete 20,000 miles after. My 6 year old daughter pointed out there were only 4 lugs on drivers side rear tire. I responded with its been that way since i bought it. On my next 300 mile trip i sent the rear tire through the rear quarter lifting the rear bumper a few feet (did i say this was at highway speeds 70+) ripping the right front tire off the rim. after coming to a stop on the side of the road and removing my seat belt. i noticed my rear tire passing me, exited the car and ran down tire. lucky me i had a spare and the rear tire was still intact. after walking 2 miles and calling a tow truck to bring me 5 lugs (we dont do that kind of work along the road they informed me) and i responded with i didnt ask you to do any work just bring me the lugs. when tow truck driver arrived i had removed all 5 and installed them before he got done with his billing paperwork. The moral of the story is spend the 5 min. now and save yourself alot of heartache later.
69 Malibu 2 door Beater
86 Olds Cutlass 27K miles in Garage
Jojobubbajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 02:16 AM   #35
ChebyCheyenne

Cut the dash to fit a new stereo deck.
Truck #1:
1972 Chevrolet K20 Cheyenne Custom Camper
SB400, TH400, NP205

Truck #2
1967 Chevrolet C10 Custom Sport Truck
327 small journal, TH400
ChebyCheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 06:57 AM   #36
Old Dave
Is a bullfrog waterproof?

My son (15 at the time) was in the process of restoring his truck and had both of the inside door panels off which included the door handles and window cranks. He wasn't keeping track of time and I asked him what time he had to be at work. He looked at the clock and he had about 10 min. so he ran through the shower, threw on his clothes, jumped in the truck and headed to work about 2 min. away. He got to work (this in the middle of July in Kansas) and went to open the door and suddenly realized the door handles and window cranks were sitting on the saw table at home. There he was with no way to open the doors or roll down the windows. This was at a pizza joint and just his luck the boss seen him drive up in front and just sit there. After about 5 min. when he didn't come into the building, the boss went out to see what was wrong and let him out. Jeff told him what he did and the boss of course didn't let him forget about.

Ben Franklin

1st two are My son's toys...they just live in my garage!
1997 GMC K1500 Suburban
1993 S-10 Blazer 4D (youngest son's daily driver)
2000 Dodge Ram 4WD Ext. Cab (5.9L)
Wife is a late year 1951
Old Dave is offline   Reply With Quote