The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-29-2005, 09:37 AM   #1
wingman

Ignition Box Mounting Ideas?

Where does everyone have their ignition boxes mounted (msd-6.etc). I definitly dont want to put in under the hood since I spend most of the time driving the truck through mud holes. The only other place I have really seen people put it is in the glove compartment which kills a lot of storage space. Just wondering where everyone put theirs or if there are any other ideas where it wont get ruined by mud and water. Thanks
wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
Gyva

If your worried about the water just water proof it yourself, run a bead is silicon around where the box halfs meet and silicon around any place wires are hanging out, then you can be sure no water is going to get inside that box although I think they come prety well sealed anyways but you can seal it again to be double sure. Then you can mount it in the engine compartment.

You can also bead around plug wire ends, and where the cap sets down on the distributor to really water proof your truck while playing in the mud

Mike...

Last edited by Gyva; 06-29-2005 at 12:19 PM.
Gyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 PM   #3
XR650RKing

My heart breaks everytime I here about flogging a blazer in mud! Or when I see A dirty truck or truck in the mud on Ebay! (I've been there I wouldn't have bought my trucks after I put them through it) With todays tech where people are custom building trail rigs it seems harsh to thrash a classic antique like the blazer. My Humble suggestion, spend 500-100 bucks on an old ford Bronco (they are a dime a dozen) and beat it like the rented mule it is! Then you can mount the box where ever you want on the blazer while you drive it and fix it up, Don't flog it its a classic, Please! IF something were to happen you wouldn't be too upset to loose the ford in a mud hole!

I'm not not getting on to you just trying to spread some of my experiences. I love Chevy/GMC and had a couple good mud trucks that because of it I trashed some of my favorite trucks beyond worth of restoring! I regret I didn't do what I am suggesting,

To help, with what you asked, I have mounted it on the inside cab firewall, in past trucks, (not Blazer) That way I could watch and see how hight the water was and how close it was to the coil pack.
XR650RKing is offline   Reply With Quote