The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-01-2005, 09:17 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

next question, alternators

Next up to buy is my alternator. Wondering what would be the best alternator (brand too) for my truck. I have always just purchased standard alternators in the past for my drivers, so I really don't know much about the rest. What is the big deal about one wire alternators, are they any better than your typical alternators? Should I buy a standard 60 amp (I think that is standard), or get a 100 or 140 unit? My truck is going to be pretty simple, with a very mild stereo, single battery (Optima), and no elec fans (for now) and so forth.

Looking for advice, and curious to hear what everyone else is running.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #2
ZmOz
Account Suspended

I would go with at least 100 amp, standard AC Delco 12SI. You could upgrade to a newer style CS130 alternator, it would probably bolt right in, if not with a slight modification. Don't go with a 1 wire, they're only for people too dumb to hook up the other two wires. A CS130 only has 4 wires, and they're not hard to wire up if you look at the pin out.

Last edited by ZmOz; 07-01-2005 at 09:22 PM.
ZmOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:03 AM   #3
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

One-wire alternators are popular in the rod and custom world. It keeps the wiring clean and simple. They do look cool. As cool as self-exciting alternators look, the one-wire is also a disadvantage. For one, to trigger an one-wire alternator, you must rev the engine to cut-in the alternator's charging system (somewhere between 1200-1400 'alternator' rpms). And, as the load demand increases the single wire will get warmer since it has no voltage sensing capabilities and hence the higher current draw. With an one-wire, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of a your ignition/warning dash light as well. A three-wire is probably the way to go. Like ZmOz said, you may want to go with a higher amp alternator and be set for any future upgrades that you may have planned (like the electric fans).

BTW, sounds like your making some progress.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 02:53 AM   #4
bodydropped

well im runnin a 85 amp police car alternator a optima red top with a full blown stereo and i havent had any troubles at all and im not runnin a cap on my amp im goin to be taken my stock on to an alternator place and get them to juice it up to about 220 amps since im goin to be runnin a bigger amp and some more electronics
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 06:21 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Go to this website ( http://www.tuffstuffperformance.com ) and look at their alternators. They offer a quality product and has a good range of charging rates. I have heavy duty electric fans and I now have a 140 amp alternator with the capability to carry 85 amps (AT IDLE RPMS), where most alternators carry 35 amps. I am not sorry that I purchased through them.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote