The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2002, 03:23 PM   #1
Paul Clark

Striker Plates

Been trying to adjust the door striker plates. Got them so the doors close pretty good. They just don't want to open.
Worn out parts? WD40? Keep adjusting?
Thanks
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:05 PM   #2
Blue_71
Bloo

this may be a stupid question, but do you have weather stripping on your cab? no weatherstripping makes them harder to open somehow
1971 Chevy Custom/10 (first truck) 350, NV3500 5 speed
1971 Chevy K20 Custom Camper 4x4 350 TBI, SM465/NP205
1974 Chevy Custom Deluxe/10
1979 Chevy Custom Deluxe K10 farm truck beater
1989 Chevy K2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson, Cause I'm a country boy
35s whinin on the asphalt, grabbin mud, throwin up some red dirt
R.I.P. Michael Stilts... I will always love and miss you brother! (9-12-80, murdered 4-9-05)
Blue_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2002, 05:20 PM   #3
Paul Clark

Nope. No weatherstripping. The guy in town who does street rods said to get them to where they'll close easily by just pushing with a couple of fingers. Got that part. Now I need a crowbar to open them.
Something is out of whack. (what is a whack, anyway?)
Old 08-11-2002, 05:22 PM   #4
Paul Clark

Back at you Blue71.
This isn't a challenge - just a question.
If weatherstripping make them harder to open, what do you adjust?
Thanks
Old 08-11-2002, 06:11 PM   #5
junkyardjohn

Thumbs up

THE BEST WAY THAT I'VE FOUND TO ADJUST THE DOORS FOR FIT IS WITHOUT THE WEATHERSRIP INSTALLED. AFTER YOU INSTALL THE WEATHERSTRIP, YOUR DOORS WILL BE A HOLE LOT EASIER TO OPEN. THE WEATHERSTRIP COMPRESSES TO ABOUT 1/8" KEEPING THEM PRESSED TO THE OUTBOARD POSSITION & PREVENTS THE DOOR FROM CLOSING TOO FAR. AFTER YOU GET THE WEATHERSTRIP INSTALLED YOU'LL SEE WHAT BLUE_71 WAS SAYING.
LIFE MEMBER OF P.E.T.A (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS)

DON'T RENT U-HAUL

ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH
IT WILL AMAZE PART OF THE PEOPLE & ASTONISH THE REST
junkyardjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:18 AM   #6
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Something doesn't sound right here. After painting, I rehung the doors and adjusted them with no weatherstrip and they close and open very easy. After putting on the weatherstrip they don't really open any easier, they just pop out a little better. It is a little harder to close after the weatherstrip is installed - you have to slam them a little harder but this should ease up a little when the rubber gets compressed with use.

I don't think your door should be "hard" to open even without the weatherstrip. Something not working right.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
johnnyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 09:32 AM   #7
Paul Clark

The sprocket on the door that engages the striker plate - How freely should it move? Both ways?
If it's suppossed to move when the door is opened and it doesn't, that would make it hard to open, right?
Old 08-12-2002, 10:08 AM   #8
JimKshortstep4x4

Smile

Usually there have been three problems with doors when they open hard, 1) The pin on the door handle is not long enough to realease the latch and you have to bend the tab or replace the pin to fix this problem, (This is easy to check, with the door open, depress the button and if the roller will turn easily, it is ok), 2) the most common problem is that the striker is not shimmed out properly and it rubs the side(s) of the latch, and 3) the striker and the latch are not on the same plane and this causes interference.

Good luck!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 11:15 AM   #9
Paul Clark

One problem fixed -
The metal shroud that goes around the sprocket got hit and wouldn't let the sprocket turn.
New problem -
The striker is as low as it can go, but the door still lifts a little when closing and then falls. It won't open without banging on it.
What's left to adjust?
Thanks for all your help.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:44 AM   #10
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Take the striker off and close the door. Does it fit well with equal gap all around? If not, adjust hinges untill it fits good and then see if that fixes the striker problem. If it already fits good, then you'll have to get the striker lower by elongating the square holes in the door pillar which can be done fairly easy with a file.

Forget about "do it right the first time". Do it wrong the first time to learn how, then do it right the second time.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:47 PM   #11
Southpa

Also have a look around the edges of the inside of the door, usually the back corner, for any indication that its touching the rocker panel when closing. No door seals means the door will close a little farther in than its supposed to. It could be getting wedged in.

Heres an odd one. I got new seals and recently adjusted doors. You have to close both doors with some authority because of the new seals. But they don't seem to close as well with the windows down, whats with that?

You can wish in one hand and crap in the other.
See which one gets filled first.
Southpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 01:45 PM   #12
Nichboy

Southpa thats interesting, with my windows down my doors close alot easier, it's almost like there is a vacumm with the windows up. I know this truck isn't that tight.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:56 PM   #13
johnnyp
Keepin' It Stock

Southpa, when you put the new rubber in did you butt the ends together where they meet at the bottom of the door? You need to cut one of the ends at about a 30 degree angle so the air will vent from the tubes when you slam the door. You can also place a small hole in the tube at the top center of the door to act as a vent.