The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2005, 05:23 AM   #1
Clos'84TX
Foom, foom, foom!

Transmission advise th350

I need some advise about a leaky TH350, I have changed pan gaskets, tranny pan, and o ring on my dipstick tube. And still have a tranny leak, it is coming from the passenger side front corner of the tranny. All I could think of was the kick down cable, which I changed out a little while back....is there some type of gasket or some thing I can put between the cable housing and the tranny housing....
Or has anyone else ever encountered this dumb problem..please give me some advise.
long Headers//3.73 rearend gears

Future Mods

3/4 suspension drop
Clos'84TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 08:02 AM   #2
76bonanza

Mine drips from the passenger side front but that is the way they tilt when mounted mine is slowly leaking from the front pump seal but only drips fro the passenger side front? Just a thought
76bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

The kickdown cable on my '86 TH350c uses a rubber gasket where the cable goes into the transmission. Mine was leaking, and the replacement part stopped that leak. The part is a little piece of rubber, shaped sort of like a thimble with a hole in the end. I bought it at O'Reilly Auto parts for less than $1.

At one time I thought my pan gasket was leaking. It LOOKED like it was the pan gasket. I replaced it a couple of times before taking it to a friend who is a mechanic. He discovered the pump was leaking, and running down onto the pan.

Slonaker

Last edited by Slonaker; 06-16-2005 at 09:39 AM.
Slonaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:20 PM   #4
crawdad

I just replaced the o-ring on the filler tube of my TH350. A few days later it was leaking again. Come to find out, it was the tube itself. It had a small hairline crack in it near the base where it goes into the transmission. Replaced that and that cured my leak problem. Might be worth a look anyway.

2012 Silverado LT 1500, 5.3, 6 speed auto
'86 SWB C-10 Silverado

Last edited by crawdad; 06-16-2005 at 03:20 PM.
crawdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
I just replaced the o-ring on the filler tube of my TH350. A few days later it was leaking again. Come to find out, it was the tube itself. It had a small hairline crack in it near the base where it goes into the transmission. Replaced that and that cured my leak problem. Might be worth a look anyway.
That's the kind of stuff that drives me crazy. Everything that goes wrong with my truck always seems to be something weird that no one has ever heard of.

Slonaker
Old 06-16-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
crawdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
That's the kind of stuff that drives me crazy. Everything that goes wrong with my truck always seems to be something weird that no one has ever heard of.

Slonaker
I know exactly what you mean. I was just about ready to tackle replacing the window motor on my passenger side door. This afternoon, I hit the switch and, low and behold, it starts working again. In fact, it's working better than the driver side window, and there was nothing wrong with it. My next major job is to try and clean up all of the cut and loose dangling wires that was left by my nephew and his friends when they replaced the motor. I don't have a clue what they go to, but there sure are a lot of loose unattached wires in my engine compartment. Maybe if I wait long enough, they'll do like the door window switch and just hook themselves up and start working again.

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 06-16-2005, 10:17 PM   #7
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawdad
I know exactly what you mean. I was just about ready to tackle replacing the window motor on my passenger side door. This afternoon, I hit the switch and, low and behold, it starts working again. In fact, it's working better than the driver side window, and there was nothing wrong with it. My next major job is to try and clean up all of the cut and loose dangling wires that was left by my nephew and his friends when they replaced the motor. I don't have a clue what they go to, but there sure are a lot of loose unattached wires in my engine compartment. Maybe if I wait long enough, they'll do like the door window switch and just hook themselves up and start working again.
Maybe you'll get lucky. If you don't, start a thread and post pics of the wires. I have the same truck as you, and have spent way too much time messing with those same wires. If I can't identify them someone here will.

Slonaker
Old 06-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
crawdad

Great idea. I'll do that.

'86 SWB C-10 Silverado
Old 06-17-2005, 03:13 AM   #9
Clos'84TX
Foom, foom, foom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slonaker
The kickdown cable on my '86 TH350c uses a rubber gasket where the cable goes into the transmission. Mine was leaking, and the replacement part stopped that leak. The part is a little piece of rubber, shaped sort of like a thimble with a hole in the end. I bought it at O'Reilly Auto parts for less than $1.

Slonaker
, I'll be doing that this weekend, maybe I'll be able to park in my driveway after this all.
PS getting my differential gears changed ove this weekend. Along with a chrome cover...

Future Mods

3/4 suspension drop
Old 07-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
Clos'84TX
Foom, foom, foom!

Just an update. I changed out my dipstick for a flexible braided one..Nice.

But lo and behold the love of my life...I hate this leaky thing...I've tryed different gaskets and o-rings? Advise?

Future Mods

3/4 suspension drop
Old 07-13-2005, 10:26 AM   #11
86 GMG

have you checked all gasket surfaces for abrasions that may be cutting the new gaskets you have installed i believe you said you have change the pan also if not check that for bends on the lip or scuffs or scatches that can cut the gasket best of luck on your repairs