The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2005, 09:57 PM   #1
79 stepside

water intrusion, passenger side

I have a horribly rusted out passenger floor pan thanks to a leak somewhere on the passenger side of the truck. ('79 stepside, duh) I have had the windshield resealed. Wasn't coming from there. I can pour water into the openings in front of the windshield, and that water makes it into the cab. Sometimes it looks like it's coming from the side, sometimes from the middle of the footwell area from behind ductwork. I figured the seam had been compromised so I cleaned it up and sprayed a rubber sealing type compound all over in there. Still have the leak, and can see the ground through the floor.
Didn't find a search function so I just asked. I hope this is common and someone has an easy answer.
Thanks yall,
Jimmy
Attached Images

'67 Camaro
'97 Ford F-150
Diesels:
'80 Mercedes 300TD
'85 Mercedes 300TD
'77 Mercedes 300D (parts car)
79 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 10:30 AM   #2
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

Some links that might help:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ght=water+leak

http://207.44.196.117/vboard/printthread.php3?t=130867

Slonaker
Old 06-23-2005, 05:08 PM   #3
Greenlee

I had the exact same problem. I used this black tar looking sealant that I got at Auto Zone across the entire seam under the cowl. That was close to two years ago and it hasn't leaked since. I don't remember what the stuff was called, but it came in a tube (red and white I think) and was made for windshields and such. It seems like it took 2 tubes.

Your floor looks as bad as mine was. I cut out the rust and welded in some new sheet metal.

I am still paranoid about it leaking and check it with a water hose when I wash the truck. So far its not leaking.

Last edited by Greenlee; 06-23-2005 at 05:14 PM.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 04:28 PM   #4
TwinTurbo

Pull the kick panel, if the air door seal isn't there water will run into the cab from the area straight below the hood hinges, also check the hinge water diverters.

Do check the area under the windsield, pull the cowl cover and feel if there are any holes, mine was pitted pretty badly in about 2 years time (blasted the cabin but didn't cover that area enough when spraying it)

Also since you pulled stuff out this far check the seal around the fuse box, that's where mine was leaking and it soaked the insulating felt, it wasn't leaking to the point where the carpet got really wet and rusted out floorpan but the felt retained enough water to cause pretty bad rust on the firewall and cause electrical problems
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 06:04 AM   #5
the baron

another option is the body rusting away around the heater/AC box assembly , this is what I've found when I dismantled the "starboard" ( sorry , I'm a Navy man ) inner fender on my 1982 Burb

I observed also that the left side of the body , at the junction of the floor pan with the front of the cab , is melting away either...

I'll just have to hit the torch , I guess

have no pic's right now ...

greetzz

the Baron
the baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
79 stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo
Pull the kick panel, if the air door seal isn't there water will run into the cab from the area straight below the hood hinges, also check the hinge water diverters.

Do check the area under the windsield, pull the cowl cover and feel if there are any holes, mine was pitted pretty badly in about 2 years time (blasted the cabin but didn't cover that area enough when spraying it)

Also since you pulled stuff out this far check the seal around the fuse box, that's where mine was leaking and it soaked the insulating felt, it wasn't leaking to the point where the carpet got really wet and rusted out floorpan but the felt retained enough water to cause pretty bad rust on the firewall and cause electrical problems
"hinge water diverters" What are these exactly? I have the week off and am finally going to pull the ole truck into the garage and try and find this leak. I'm also not sure what the air door seal is, but am going to do some searching on that one. If anyone has pics of these that would be most welcome, but a good old fashioned explanation wouldn't be so bad either.
Thanks for the answers to this thread so far.
JL
'67 Camaro
'97 Ford F-150
Diesels:
'80 Mercedes 300TD
'85 Mercedes 300TD
'77 Mercedes 300D (parts car)
79 stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 12:11 PM   #7
TwinTurbo

The rubber around the hinge mount is what I mean with water diverter

The air door seal is the seal on the back of the pass side kick panel where the air door is located, usually this one is either old and falling apart or completely gone
TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote