The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2005, 08:49 PM   #26
R@nger
Psalm 23

Hmmm this doesn't look good.

Seems to me like ALOT of garbage could slip right past that bad boy .

Can I replace that filter?

Also I looked in my tank from the middle once I removed the fuel lines and it looks pretty darn good. Its got a little junk in there but nothing like I thought there would be. However with that filter torn every last piece of garbage is getting sucked into the fuel line.

P.S. there was also a bit of rusty sediment in the bottom sleeve of that filter.

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 07-15-2005 at 08:51 PM.
R@nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #27
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok lets play a game, I'm going to show you some pictures and you all tell me whats wrong in the pics. I will tell you this I did cut open the fuel filter casing.

Problem solved .

"Peter are you sleeping on the job? No I have a bug in my eye and I'm trying to suffocate him." - Family Guy

Last edited by R@nger; 07-15-2005 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:48 PM   #28
R@nger
Psalm 23

This truck had the sock in the fuel tank+an inline fuel filter right before the fuel pump.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:31 PM   #29
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok well I put everything back into place. I cut off the old sock and decided not to put another one on(partly because i couldnt find a sock at checker). I bought a new fuel filter and put it in place. I also put the seats back in.

I was plannin on cranking the truck up tonight but when I cleaned the carb I noticed the top gasket for my rochestor was tearing apart so I'm gonna have to go get a new gasket tomorrow. Any of you guys know if I can just get the one gasket. All the shops I've called around here say that they only sell the rebuild kits. Kinda a bummer considering I only need the one gasket.

Last edited by R@nger; 07-15-2005 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:18 PM   #30
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok I put everything on and the truck started but its running rough.

It just doesn't want run smoothly at all! I checked the plugs and they were all nasty carboned up so I cleaned them and figured they were that way because of my fuel filter problem. I drove the truck around for 5 minutes or so after cleaning the plugs then checked the timing...it was good but I loosened the distributor and played with it a bit anyway, no change. I also played around with the mixture screws..nothing.

I pulled some plugs just a sec ago and they were horribly carboned up like before. And this is after only running the truck for 5-10 minutes. Any ideas whats going on? HELP ...lol this is getting old I'm ready for this truck to just RUN great for more than a week .

Last edited by R@nger; 07-17-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 06:34 PM   #31
R@nger
Psalm 23

Thats the thing though I JUST yesterday took the top off the carb and shot all jets and holes and everything out with air. The gas line to my carb is metal so I don't think I can clamp that with success hehe.

And yes the choke is opening all the way.

I guess i could take the carb off again and take everything out and clean it but man ...oh man I really really don't want to do that. I'm ready for my Holley street avenger carb right now...the quadjet is my nemesis(I've taken it apart and cleaned it totally...hmmm 5-6 times now and I've had the truck a year!).

Last edited by R@nger; 07-17-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:02 PM   #32
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok I pulled the carb again and thoroughly cleaned and tuned it. I then put the carb back on and its smoothed out...I don't understand it but...whatever . Right now I'm waiting for the engine to cool so I can clean the plugs off but so far so good.

I have a question though. Do you set the idle while in park or while in gear? Cause when I put the carb back on the throttle got stuck(I fixed this) and was idling at 1500 lol. When I fixed the throttle it went back down to where it was at before..750. The problem was when I put the truck in gear it went down to 400-500 and sounded like it was struggling to run.

Anyways I can promise everyone here right now that as soon as I have the money that carb is gone. Its been nothing but trouble. HOLLEY here we come

UPDATE: Just took it down to checker auto parts to get some power steering fluid and at the stop light right before the store as I was idling there the truck wanted to die . When I got to checker I put it in park and it was idling parked at 200-300 hundred!!!???...when I left it was idling parked at 900. I turned up the idle so it ran in park at 685-750. What gives . Now that I'm home I started up the truck and its running at about 700-750 in park and the engine is running rough AGAIN..not as rough but still not smooth by any means. I'm also smelling that its running rich.

Last edited by R@nger; 07-17-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:09 PM   #33
cowboy33713

Howdy;
How old is the fuel pump on your truck? I just replaced one on mine that looked ok, but couldn't provide enough fuel while going down the road. Put another $15 "assembled in Mexico" special on and the problem went away.
Just my .02
cowboy33713
cowboy33713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #34
R@nger
Psalm 23

Ok first, yes I have the filter in the carb and its clean.

The inline filter in just before the intake to the fuel pump and the filter is brand new.

Inside the bowl?...if your talking about the fuel bowl in the carb nothing besides fuel.

I triple checked the float height.

I epoxied all the plugs last time I rebuilt the carb so they wouldn't leak.

And lastly no radical cam...from my knownledge its the stock cam because I haven't messed with it yet.

Last edited by R@nger; 07-18-2005 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:18 PM   #35
cowboy33713

Howdy again.
Boy, do I type slow. Started that last reply before 2 more showed up in this thread.
My truck had a QJet on it that had been "worked on" by someone without talent. The fast solution was a used Edelbrock carb ,for less than I was quoted for a rebuild locally ; the fuelpump went sometime after.
Before the carb change it did everything you say- poor idle, widely varied idle speed, trying to die, blackened plugs,etc.
cowboy33713
cowboy33713 is offline   Reply With Quote