The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
newin72
Account Suspended

painting Ram Horns

I know this has been covered, but can't seem to find the threads...

but I am putting in my ZZ4 this weekend and am curious what you guys are using to paint your Ram Horns...
newin72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #2
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I painted mine with a 7 dollar can of "high heat" exhaust paint from autozone. It lasted about 10 minutes. I'd like to know too
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM   #3
shifty
Questionable

I've never done ram horns, but on my headers, I applied Eastwood's Header paint after wiping them down really good with mineral spirits. The only place the paint bubbled is where I failed to scrape off the black paint that was on them (stock). Al lthe places I sanded the paint off, the Eastwood stuff stuck really well.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
newin72
Account Suspended

well I have a sandblaster that I was gonna use to clean them up first. Guess you don't need to use any kind of primer first?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:29 AM   #5
mocwon
Keep On Truckin'

I sand blasted the ram horns and used the Eastwood header paint as well. I haven't run the truck very much but so far so good.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:04 PM   #6
knsmodels
I make Models

I sandblasted mine and painted with Eastwoods hi temp cast gray paint.....I have put about 500 miles on her so far and it is holding up fine....I have heard positive things on the Eastwood paint from others.....It may need to be freshened up down the road, but I believe you can touch it up while they are still in place by brushing it on.....Hope this helps....Paul

1972 LWB K10 350/4 sp
1968 SS Chevelle 396/tremac5spd
knsmodels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:08 PM   #7
71-longbed
Its Magically Delicious

i blasted a set and brushed on por-15 high heat manifold grey .. makes them look like fresh cast iron .. haven't run them so i can't say about durability

Of all my favorite things to do, The utmost is to have a brew.
My love grows for my foamy friend, with each thirst-quenching elbow bend.
Beer so frosty, smooth, and cold it's paradise pure liquid gold.
Yes beer means many things to me that's all for now cus I gotta pee.
71-longbed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
Jakes-66-K10

Same here, I used POR15's Fireseal to fill in small surface cracks then painted with their aluminum colored manifold paint. I have only broken in the engine and need to do more testing, but so far things look great.
Jakes-66-K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:30 PM   #9
96blazr

Forget the "POR-15" myth. Forget all that anyone and everyone says about POR this or POR that. It's all BS!!

I just used this on my Ram-horn Manifolds and was absolutely FLOORED by the way this stuff works. Plus it was SO easy to use!
I used a fricken tooth brush and didn't even have to take them off the engine and the finish is just UNBELIEVABLE!!!! Even the NCRS has endorsed this product. (NCRS) National Corvette Restorers Society.

www.calyxmanifold.com

I've also found another product that puts both Eastwoods "anti-rust" and
POR-15's" rust products to SHAME!! It's called "Rust Bullet" and it works like crazy Much easier to apply and with better and LONGER LASTING results.

www.rustbullet.com

I've used both of this products and they having proven themselves to me and I will tell everyone I can about them. Wish I was making a dime or two from my ringing endorsments, but that ain't happening.
I will say this about both: THEY WORK!!!

Remember, no matter where you go,
There you are.

Gary
96blazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by newin72
well I have a sandblaster that I was gonna use to clean them up first. Guess you don't need to use any kind of primer first?
I don't think it said anything about primer of any sort on the instructions. It just said to clean it really well and ... mineral spirits, IIRC.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:31 PM   #11
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96blazr

Much easier to apply and with better and LONGER LASTING results.
Got a product review for it? How can it be esier to apply? For the Eastwood header paint, all you do is knock off any loose rust, wipe them down and paint them with a sponge brush. It takes 15 minutes if the headers are off.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:49 PM   #12
BubbaGreen

Your putting on RAMHORNs on a ZZ4? Let me know how it performs, I purchased a Ramjet-350....thought long and hard about using the stock ramhorns, (which I blasted and used eastwoods hitemp sating paint on) and after reading the manual, think its best to install headers. I *hate* headers in the fact the leak, look bad over time...etc, but I purchased Sanderson mid-length from earlyclassic...ceramic coated. Time will tell, but you cant beat the durabilty of castiron. How close are you to starting your engine, its gonna be a while for me.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:11 PM   #13
newin72
Account Suspended

LOL!! I was wondering how long before somebody commented on that!

I asked several times, and several different people and got 100 different answers. I finally just decided to go with the Ram horns... I hope to have it in and running by next weekend. I will let you know.

you might talk to boardmember gregfull he got the ramjet 502 for his truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaGreen
Your putting on RAMHORNs on a ZZ4? Let me know how it performs, I purchased a Ramjet-350....thought long and hard about using the stock ramhorns, (which I blasted and used eastwoods hitemp sating paint on) and after reading the manual, think its best to install headers. I *hate* headers in the fact the leak, look bad over time...etc, but I purchased Sanderson mid-length from earlyclassic...ceramic coated. Time will tell, but you cant beat the durabilty of castiron. How close are you to starting your engine, its gonna be a while for me.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:17 PM   #14
BubbaGreen

Ya...opinions are like bellybuttons....................everyone has one :-)
Thanks for the reply, but I am curious has to how your engine performs...
post a follow up or PM me. Thanks!