The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
75sierraclassic

New 700R won't go into 1st

Hey I swapped an '87 700R-4 in my 75 GMC Sierra Classic. It replaced a stock turbo 350. As you know the 700 has an extra gear to it. The problem is, my steering column does not have enough range to manually shift my tranny down to 1st gear. It will go into 2nd and that is it. I am wondering if there is an internal stop in the column that I can modify. I was also thinking about modifying the shifter linkage arms to different lengths to get more travel. Have any of you guys tackled this problem.
I appreciate any help.
Thanks
75sierraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
86 GMG

yeh i have done the exact opposite of your mod but you have to change out the instrument panel (gauges) to get first gear i dont remimber for sure but i think you can also just change the PRND21 with PRNODD21
Old 07-27-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

put the trans in first with the linkage loose from the column. Put the shifter in first and tighten the linkage. If it goes all the way back into park, you are set and should be able to grab all of the gears.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
75sierraclassic

I'm not sure what you mean about having to change my cluster out. What does that have to do with shifting?
Old 07-27-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
bodydropped

i got the same thing u can put it all the way down and push it a little hard and bam its in 1st
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 03:30 PM   #6
FLAGG

The cluster doesn't have anything to do with shifting, but if you don't change out the tab with the gear letters on it the gear selection pointer probably won't line up properly. From what I remember from my TH350 to 700R4 swap, follow Jonboy's instructions for adjusting the linkage.

I never had to change out the tab in my cluster because my truck was originally a 4 speed truck that was swapped to a 3 speed before I swapped back in a 4 speed. But from I remember the gear selection indicator never pointed at the right spot with the TH350 in there. It's only mildly annoying, but the tab is relatively easy to change out.
FLAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 05:57 PM   #7
bluex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy
put the trans in first with the linkage loose from the column. Put the shifter in first and tighten the linkage. If it goes all the way back into park, you are set and should be able to grab all of the gears.
When I did mine this way it had a nasty habit of not engaging park all the way. So if you didnt slam it into park, it might just roll off. That was kind of a big problem before I hooked my park brake back up. I just left mine where I could not engage first, I dont use it anyways.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
jermasaurus

Same deal I had. I had to bend the linkage rod a little to get 1st, and use the tab from the 350 on the rod sticking out of the trans.

Did you get it worked out yet?
-Jeremy
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 08:34 AM   #9
75sierraclassic

No I haven't messed with it yet. This is a swap I did about a year ago and I left it so it wouldn't go into first. I had trouble not being able to hit park when I tried it the other way. I just wanted some suggestions from you guys. If I got a steering column out of a truck that had overdrive would that work? Are they the same as a 3 speed column?
Thanks for your help.
Old 07-30-2005, 01:26 AM   #10
jermasaurus

It should be the same steering column. The only thing that changes the amount of clicks (P-R-N....) is the transmission itself. I haven't seen an indicator for the 4 speed, but I have seen other GM's that just have a metal plate that goes over the 3 speed indicator.
-Jeremy
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 10:16 AM   #11
SSC's76
No No

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75sierraclassic
No I haven't messed with it yet. This is a swap I did about a year ago and I left it so it wouldn't go into first. I had trouble not being able to hit park when I tried it the other way. I just wanted some suggestions from you guys. If I got a steering column out of a truck that had overdrive would that work? Are they the same as a 3 speed column?
Thanks for your help.

I'd suspect the same amount of travel would be in either coulmn and it would be in the shift rod where the malfunction is. If it does happen to be a coulmn issue full size car interchanges with truck.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 PM   #12
75sierraclassic

New 700R won't go into 1st

Hey guys thanks for the tips. I fixed it this afternoon! I unhooked the linkage and put tranny and shifter in first and hooked it back up. I had to unhook and make some small adjustments, but it seems to work very well. It goes into park and first solidly. Now I just need an overdrive shift indicator so it isn't tellin me i am in reverse when I'm going forward!
Thanks again.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:03 PM   #13
loblazer

You can get the indicator plate from any wrecking yard with the O-D on it, I got one last year. Just take the dash cover off, the indicator is on with two screws if I remember right. There is also a screw holding the wire to the column, you need the wire too. You can adjust where the wire screws to the column to indicate the right gear.

I am putting a 700R in mine this month. Hope I get better gas mileage.

Last edited by loblazer; 08-02-2005 at 02:04 PM.
loblazer is offline   Reply With Quote