The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-06-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
whitedevil502

which frame clip for my 65... chevelle or nova?

has anyone here put a chevelle or nova/camaro front frame on a 65 gmc? im not sure which would be better suited for mating up to the 65 frame. i'd like to go with a 68-72 chevelle front end because i might be putting a blown small block in it and i already have the headers and engine from a 68 chevelle. the headers are the spread port [stahl] design and i dont want to buy another set because they're quite expensive. if anyone could give me any advice or insight on clipping this frame it would be greatly appreciated.
whitedevil502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:36 AM   #2
Jaredm82

whats wrong with the stock clip?
Jaredm82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
6066gmcguy

Front Clip

This is a swap that was done to be IFS on a truck with a soild front axle, you have IFS, if your looking for disk brakes, you just neeed to change the spindles for a set from a newer truck, if your going to lower it, buy a set of lowering spindles.

Try the 6066 GMC Guy Facebook Page

Jolly's Truck & Car Show Page!
6066gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #4
whitedevil502

just as i had expected... why must people feel they have to tell me what to do [or what im doing wrong] with 'MY' truck?
Old 07-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
Jaredm82

Hey I just asked whats wrong with your stock clip? I couldn't care less about how you ruin your truck, I was just curious if you knew something about our truck's front that I must have over looked because I see nothing wrong with it...
Old 07-13-2005, 02:28 PM   #6
6066gmcguy

If you know what your doing why are you asking the question? Go ahead and use a chevelle or nova/camaro front clip under your truck, best of luck. Never heard of anyone doing this so you'll be a pioneer, let us know how it goes.

This question is most offer asked by some one that had not looked used one of these truck before, that is why I replied with what I though was useful info, I was not telling you what to do with your truck, just what can be done.

Sorry I offer you help....

Old 07-13-2005, 02:29 PM   #7
whitedevil502

reason number 1 im ruining my truck with a late 70's camaro subframe is because im handicapped and must have power steering and power brakes. i've found it nearly impossible to find a used factory power steering box for this truck, and i dont have the money to order a brand new one. yes, i know its possible to put a newer style box on, but these camaro subframes are easy to find around here and it would kill 3 birds with 1 stone... power steering, disk brakes, and the stahl pattern headers i already have will fit.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #8
6066gmcguy

I'm Not telling you anything!

"i've found it nearly impossible to find a used factory power steering box for this truck"

That would be "IMPOSSIBLE" to find, they didn't make this kind of power steering in those days, what is would have had would all be mounted on the tie rods, I'm guessing you have not seen a Factory set up, This is what is looked like (Look at the last two pics). To install a newer style power steering mite not be as much work as installing the camaro subframe, but If you have the camaro parts kicking around......

I do recall seeing a truck one eBay way back in the old days, that had been cut down to fix a entire Camaro Cahssis......
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2005, 03:03 PM   #9
Jaredm82

hey bud, do not go pulling the "handicapped" card on us now. Handicapped or not, its still more rational to put 73-87 steering/brakes on your truck instead of cutting the front half off! But like we've both stated, do what you want... oh, and since your handicapped, how do you plan on moving 2 whole front clips around as appossed to just swapping out some, spindles, brakes, steering linkage, and a box??? Goodluck
Old 07-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #10
whitedevil502

frame

gmcguy... i asked the question because i wanted to know which subframe would mate up to the 65 frame the best. it was directed toward people who have already done this, not people that have never even heard of it.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:40 PM   #11
whitedevil502

frame

hey jaredm82... im not trying to pull any 'handicapped card' on u!!! i was mearly stating WHY i needed power steering/power brakes!!! u dont know what i can or cant do, so please keep your opinions to yourself! gmcguy... i apologize for coming across as a smartass. now that u mentioned it, i remember that these trucks had the slave cylinder style power steering like the older cars [impala, 55-57, etc].
Old 07-13-2005, 05:43 PM   #12
jamiew

I can't tell you how to mount up a camaro front suspension, but I can explain how to get everything that you want, probably a lot cheaper than you can graft a whole new front suspension to your truck. If you are interested in an alternative, there are a LOT of people (including myself) who are doing a whole front "cradle" swap from a 1970 to a 1986 chevy truck (I used a 76 model). Any of the models in that range can be used with few or no modifications to the stock frame. These trucks are also readily available junkyards are absolutely full of them. I would venture to say that they are just as plentiful as the camaro/impala front suspensions even in your area. I bought an entire suspension off of a rusted out truck for 75 bucks. With that, I got brake booster, brake lines, spindles, power steering, etc. I rebuilt all of the linkages and bushings for another hundred bucks and I have everything that you need including power steering. The power steering will need an adapter plate, I made mine, but you can buy a kit for around 50 bucks. Very cheap all in all. If you are interested in the how's, there are many old links on this site you can find, or I will post the procedure on here again if you need.

Later
Jamie
jamiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:27 PM   #13
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

I would recommend the front crossmember swap as they guys have pounded into the ground BUT

if you must use a car style clip , Ive seen the 70+ camaros work failry decent , Hell a few years back classic truck had a 2 part article on how to camaro clip a 65 ,.

there is also a 64 in town with a camaro clip and a 68 with an early 70s nova clip either of the 2 would work as I beleie they are quite simular.
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:31 PM   #14
whitedevil502

slammed... would u happen to have those issues of classic trucks?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:41 PM   #15
Slammed66
Needs a Big Block

I would somwhere............ Ill do some diggin in the next day or so and see what I can find.
1972 K10
Slammed66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:46 PM   #16
whitedevil502

great! if u find them, i'll gladly send u a couple bucks for a photo copy of the swap section. thanks.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:33 AM   #17
R_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiew
I can't tell you how to mount up a camaro front suspension, but I can explain how to get everything that you want, probably a lot cheaper than you can graft a whole new front suspension to your truck. If you are interested in an alternative, there are a LOT of people (including myself) who are doing a whole front "cradle" swap from a 1970 to a 1986 chevy truck (I used a 76 model). Any of the models in that range can be used with few or no modifications to the stock frame. These trucks are also readily available junkyards are absolutely full of them. I would venture to say that they are just as plentiful as the camaro/impala front suspensions even in your area. I bought an entire suspension off of a rusted out truck for 75 bucks. With that, I got brake booster, brake lines, spindles, power steering, etc. I rebuilt all of the linkages and bushings for another hundred bucks and I have everything that you need including power steering. The power steering will need an adapter plate, I made mine, but you can buy a kit for around 50 bucks. Very cheap all in all. If you are interested in the how's, there are many old links on this site you can find, or I will post the procedure on here again if you need.

Later
Jamie
Not hi-jacking, but you are talking about swapping in the front cross member and everything attached?
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:58 PM   #18
jamiew

RW,
That's exactly what I'm talking about. The whole front crossmember will bolt up to the frame with very little work.

Later,
Jamie
jamiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:16 PM   #19
R_W

Jamie,

PM'ed you.
R_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 03:54 AM   #20
whitedevil502

frame

hey slammed.... did u happen to find those magazines yet?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:49 PM   #21
STEVE A WILBURN

I Put Ps On My 66 Chev. I Took A 77/ 78 Chev Ps Box And The Bottom Of The Steering Shaft. I Layed The Ps Box Flat, The Box Has A Point Sticking Out . I Made Some Ss Spacers Just So That Point Didnt Hit The Frame On The 66. The 77/78 Has A Dimple In The Frame So The Box Wont Hit The Frame. I Took Loose The Old Box And Pushed The Steering Rod Up In The Cab And Cut The Old Rod To Fit In Side The New Rod On The Ps Box . Keep Cutting Until The Steering Wheel Fits Make Sure You Keep The Steering Wheel Stright And Weld Around The Shaft. Steve
Old 08-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #22
STEVE A WILBURN

Also Lay Your Ps Box And Draw A Temp Plate And Put That Up To Your Frame To Line Up Your Holes For Your Box. I Think I Had To Drill One Or Two. Also Put A Piece Of Steel Plate Behind Your Frame So The Bolts Will Go In Ps Box Frame And Steel Plate.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:37 PM   #23
Frizzle Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6066gmcguy
"i've found it nearly impossible to find a used factory power steering box for this truck"

That would be "IMPOSSIBLE" to find, they didn't make this kind of power steering in those days, what is would have had would all be mounted on the tie rods, I'm guessing you have not seen a Factory set up, This is what is looked like (Look at the last two pics). To install a newer style power steering mite not be as much work as installing the camaro subframe, but If you have the camaro parts kicking around......

I do recall seeing a truck one eBay way back in the old days, that had been cut down to fix a entire Camaro Cahssis......

If your going to use car parts do it for improved handling by using newer (90+) sportscar suspension such as a C4 or C5 Vette. Otherwise I'd go with 70-87 truck parts.
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote