The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2005, 09:59 PM   #1
brandon-n-lisa

Question 69 C10 tail light issues

Hey guys, this is my first post, and I hope it is in the right place

I have a '69 Chevy C-10 3 speed, column shift with a non tilt steering column.

My question is this, as simple of a question as it may seem to be;

I am having tail light problems. I just started working on this truck and I'm trying to get it in road worthy condition(It's been sitting beside my house for 5 years). I have checked all of the wiring, grounds and bulbs etc. and even checked the signal switch in the column. This is what happens: the left brake light will not light up when the brake is pressed and the right blinker is on. In all other instances, the left brake light works fine. It only does this when the right blinker is on. Anyone have any ideas as to what this may be? I have been banging my head against the tailgate for a week now trying to get this thing working right.

Thanks for yoru help.

Brandon
brandon-n-lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Welcome to the forum Brandon...
I'm willing to bet a punch in the gut that you need a turn signal switch. (been alot of that lately)

Last edited by Longhorn Man; 08-02-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
brandon-n-lisa

Thanks for the welcome. There is so much info on this sight, that I will probably be reading for the next month!!

Would that be a common problem from a faulty signal switch. I did check it, but only on the surface, and it seemed to be in order with everything lined up. But, it's funny that that was one of the first things I thought of to check. It wouldn't hurt to have a new one in there even if it is not causing the problem. Does anyone know a sure way to check it for proper function?

Thanks,
Brandon
Old 08-05-2005, 11:47 PM   #4
brandon-n-lisa

Wouldn't you know it, it was the signal switch. I don't know if there are many out there with the same problem I was having, but it is actually an easy fix and you save the $30 to $40 it would cost to buy a new switch.

The switch has two little plastic peices on each side that keep the top assembly from going too far when you move the lever. These were broken off on mine and were allowing the switch to go beyong its normal position, so that the blinker would work, but you would get no brake light. All you have to do is melt a small (about .25 inch X .25 inch) peice of plastic to the top assembly were the little plastic tabs were that broke off. I used a little bernzomatic soldering iron and fixed the thing in about ten minutes.

I really wish I had thought to take pictures today during the process so that I could post them here

I hope this info can help someone out and save the cost of replacing the whole thing. If anyone has any questions about the procedure, please let me know and I will help out the best I can.

Thanks - B