The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-06-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
a squarecan

What A Mess!!!!!

OMG!!!! I took all this time to take everything apart and getting ready to start sandblasting the frame. All I had left to do was unbolt the actual crossmember. Well I went out and took off all the bolts and tried to wiggle it loose and it didn't budge!!!!! I was thinking (what the hell!?!?) I went and looked on the passenger side and some one welded a patch panel on the fricken frame!!!! Not to mention in the process welded the cross member to the frame!!!! AHHHHHH!!! I am soo upset right now! Another set back!. Now I have to go find another frame! I guess I will just hunt for a 73-87 short frame. Any one have any tips on a conversion such as this? Are the frame widths the same under the cab? I know I will have to move cab mounts, but what else is involved?

*wants to break something at about this time!!!!*

To think I am was about to order my disc brake parts this morning too!

Any one want any scrap metal because I have some for anyone who wants to haul this POS away!!!!

Here are some pix of the mess I have on my hands!!!!
well first are some shots of the front end...

and here is the absolute mess I am left with!

Anyone in oregon or southern washington have a frame they are look to part with? 63-87 I do not care as long as I dont have to deal with a mess such as the one I see now!

Sorry for the vent I am just very frustrated now!
Keith
a squarecan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

MAn i just got rid of one like 2 weeks ago cuz none wanted and i live in beaverton oregon, sry your having such a hard time with your truck man.
AesC10s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 01:43 PM   #3
a squarecan

OH MAN! just my luck lol. Finally I found some one on this side of the country lol. I am going to start searching for a new frame today. I am in hopes of finding a 71 or 72 frame for the disk disk brakes, but I am not sure what I will have to swap over with the 73-87 3" drop spindles I am ordering. Hopefully I can find something fairly easily, I better not hear any ish from anyone for prices though because no one wants the damn things so hopefully I can pick up up with out putting too big of a dip on my wallet. Any ideas on what it should cost me for a rolling chassis? I honestly dont care if it has disc or drum, I would preferr disc though because I need a new rear axel and it needs to be 5x5.

Keith
Old 08-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

there is a classic car junk yard in vancouver washington and they have like 100 1960-1975 chevy and gmc trucks and its called All American Classics. Aaron

Last edited by AesC10s; 08-06-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
a squarecan

Thanks for the tip on the yard Aaron!

I will give them a call and see what they have to offer me and I may have to swing up there and take a look around.

Keith
Old 08-06-2005, 02:46 PM   #6
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

you should go up there and look around, i did for the first time like a week ago and all i did was drool over all of the the cool S**t they had. Aaron
Old 08-06-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
a squarecan

Anyone know what it will take to get rid of the frame I have now? I have the title for the truck, but I doubt I will end up with a title for the frame I end up with. I threw my last frame away, whats the best way to get some cash for the frame? I dont want to have it sit around until some one wants it cause in the shape it is in that could be a very long time. Do I need the title to turn it into scrap metal?

Thanks
Keith
Old 08-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

no you dont need the titile to take it to scrap.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #9
a squarecan

Sweet! I will get the cab and bed off the truck and get a frame and blast the frame paint it and then throw the body back on and then when it comes to the frame mods I have in mind I will re paint it Damn I love having options lol. What ever I do it needs to be done fairly quickly due to lack of space. I still need to get the 75 elkie out of here!~ 75 elkie for sale! $500 takes it! Everything except engine tranny and gastank is left! Willing to part it out of take it all at once! some one save me!

Keith
Old 08-06-2005, 03:27 PM   #10
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

hey i might be interested in the elkie could i get a few pics.
Aaron
Old 08-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #11
a squarecan

Here are some pix of the truck, it is deffinatly a project to say the least I bought it for the engine/tranny and tank and I have just been so busy to get rid of it. It has to go though.

Here are a few pix I took of it...

The body is pretty straight and solid with exception to the driver side fender as you can see in the pic. The passenger side fender has minor damage but can be fixed. Both doors are solid and straight and the interior is in decent shape minus the driver side of the bench. I can get you more specific pix if you would like. The alloys are not going with the eklie I do have a set of junk rims so that it still rolls. I am just trying to get what I payed for it but I will consider any reasonble offers.

Keith
Old 08-06-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
AesC10s
Chevy truck addict

thanks for the pics let me talk to my dad about cuz that might be just perfect for our dragster/sleeper we are gonna be making. it will have a very built 57 392 [B]HEMI. and there wont be to much body work done and it will mostly see the strip at woodburn. Thanks Aaron
Old 08-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #13
a squarecan

Glad I could help, no rush let me know when you figure things out.

Keith
Old 08-06-2005, 07:07 PM   #14
GenIIIShorty
JUNK COLLECTOR!!!!!

still looking for a frame? i have a mid-70s short 4x4, complete with cab and bed!
GenIIIShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #15
a squarecan

I am still looking for a frame; I am actually taking a trip up to all american classic tomarrow. I am really hopeing to stay with a 2wd frame and I am hoping to find a bareframe so I dont have to yank anything off. I believe I hunted down yet another cab in great shape so I may pick up the frame and throw the cab on the frame on the way home

Keith
Old 08-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #16
GenIIIShorty
JUNK COLLECTOR!!!!!

well, best of luck to ya!
GenIIIShorty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #17
gn4u2c
Account Suspended

Just grind it out. It will only take a few hours v grove it weld it back tight grind it smooth and paint it. would be easier than serching forever for a frame.
Just an idea.
gn4u2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #18
a squarecan

I would consider that but I dont think the frame is straight anymore. It looks like it is tweaked slightly. And if I was going to go to that effort to cut and re weld it I would Z the frame, but I think I am going to cut the cross member out and use it as a donor for a dropped cross member and then just get a new frame. There is a place with in 30 mins of here called All american classic and I guess they have gobs of these old trucks. So hopefully I should be able to find something worth while. I talked to a friend of mine and he said they quoted him about $200 for a rolling chassis a few years back, so I dont know the inflation rate sinse then, but I will tell you $200 is worth the time and effort to fix my current frame.

Keith