The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

a/c compressor rebuild?

can a person just replace the compressor clutch w/o disturbing the a/c system? i think my clutch went out, burned the new belt, right off. think the barrings in there finaly went.. had been making some noise for a while..

or will i have to replace the whole compressor??
if i can replace it, whats envalved. is it just a matter of unbolting the old one and bolting the new one one? i really hope that is the case

Last edited by mtdave2; 08-12-2002 at 01:58 PM.
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 05:31 PM   #2
mtdave2
newly minted old timer

anyone?
mtdave2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #3
john
member #16

Yes I think you can,but there are special tools involved. The tools are kind of pricey. An A/C shop should be able to do the job.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #4
Zkast
Account Suspended

If its a A-6 (Axial 6 used from factory) You will need a clutch hub puller, once the hub is off there is a large snap ring to remove and the pulley comes off. Then you will find a larger snap ring to remove the clutch coil assembly. To install, just reverse the order but pay attention to the intructions.. You will need to adjust the air gap on the clutch hub to pulley. Typically .018 to .024 will do fine.

If the System was working fine up until that point, You might get lucky and just install a new clutch assembly and your on the road again. The bearing failed for a reason... bad bearing? or failing compressor (locking up)

Make sure that compressor still turns smoothly or you could be back in the same spot again. I'll say this though... The A-6 compressor is one of the most inexpensive compressors made now. If you can find a reman unit I bet you money its going to be just as cheap as a clutch assembly (about 59.95).

One last warning, lol! When the bearing is locking up there is tremendous heat build up at the front of the compressor. There is a 50/50 chance that its also overheating and ruining the front shaft seal which will cause a leak.

If it were mine, I'd probably replace the compressor since the cost is the same. But then again.. I dont hav eto pay someone to evac and recharge the system. If you dont have the tools to do this right, replace the compressor and have it charged. You be better off in the long run
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:33 PM   #5
chewed 71'er

Expense is a factor, should you decide to change the compressor,
as to what type of freon your system has. Obviously, R-12 will cost considerably more than R-134a to recharge your A/C. Also, there are remanufactered compressors now with seals that are compatible with either R-12 or R-134a.
Earlier this summer, I tried the shortcut way of changing my system from R-12 to R-134a. Drained R-12 ref.oil, added R-134a oil, had system evacuated and charged with 134a freon. Lasted 4 days. All at once, compressor started dragging so bad it literally smoked the clutch (smelled like burning rubber). Replaced compressor, recharged system (w/134a), so far so good.

Hope this helps.
chewed 71'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2002, 03:37 PM   #6
nroden

I am in the same situation as mtdave. I was gonna hold off on working on it until next summer but now at least I know. My brother is into refridgeration, heating, AC..... pipefitter. I think he's planning on doing it.
Retired and in the dry... still runs. I now drive Red '01 Ford Focus... better MPG!!!
nroden is offline   Reply With Quote