The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #1
indy72stepside

now I did it 80 chevy ques....

I have a 80 Chevy 1 ton dump for work. The other day, 3rd gear (well, second if you do not count granny) started jumping out. Today, I pulled the cover/shifter and took a look see. The gears all look fine, not spare metal in the case. I was playing with the shifter out of the truck and it will not shift. It also will not set back down in the tranny. Basicly what I am asking, did I screw myself, or is it something simple I am just not seeing?

Thanks,
Jeremy
indy72stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:32 AM   #2
ben@speedbarn
Done yet?

Our 85 dump pops outta 3rd all the time unless you hold in it there. I never took it apart though so I can't help you there.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:25 AM   #3
Russell
Professional Grade

I'll have to take a look, but there was a wicked FAQ on the 465 trannies on ck5 before. I think it covered the dissassembly and fixing and reassembly of the 465s falling outta third problem. Lemme try and find it, and if so, I'll post it up
Old 08-15-2005, 01:28 AM   #4
Russell
Professional Grade

This covers how to fix the 465's slop, next I'll try and find out how to dissassemble and reassemble it.

Quote:
Hey guys, well I just completed a 465/205 swap into my crewcab, and drove it around all last night. First, let me let you know what I started with which was according to the previous owner a very loose and worn 465 that frequently popped out of 2nd (L-1-2-3) gear. Also, the shifter felt like a wet noodle and you could hardly tell if you were in neutral or in gear. Two pretty simple fixes took care of both of these problems and now the trans feels as tight as the day it rolled off the assembly line. First, replace worn shift forks. Take of the trans cover and inspect where the forks ride on the sliding collar. If the coating is worn through, replace the fork. I happened to get a used cover with a fork in very good condition but you can still buy them new as well for about 50 bucks IIRC. Replacing the fork(s) that are worn will almost surely fix any 2nd gear popout issues. Second, to get rid of the sloppiness of the shifter, first removed the shifter. The end of the shifter that actually fits into the forks has a rollpin holding it on to the shifter. Remove that rollpin and the tip can be pulled out. Now, you should see two grooves that may or may not have o-rings in them. In my case, both my 465 shifters o-rings were nearly disentegrated causing the tip of the shifter to wobble causing the looseness you feel at the other end. Go to the hardware store, find an o-ring that will fit tightly in that groove, and that will at the same time fit tightly into the end of the shifter. If any of you want to know the size I used, when I get home I can post this up. Anyway, this reduces the sloppy feeling to almost ZERO and the shifter now feels as tight as the shifter in my dad's almost brand new NV4500 in his Dodge. Also, after much trying, I could not get the trans to pop out of 2nd gear, so I am going to say that the fork fixed that problem as well most likely. That's it, hope this helps some of you guys out there.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 AM   #5
Russell
Professional Grade

Ok, I don't have an indepth article to post, but it seems that you need to carefully align the reverse gear to get the top to drop back down. Apparantly, its a real pain in the butt, and you'll need a whole lotta patience to get it back on...

I'll keep looking for something a bit more indepth...
Old 08-15-2005, 01:13 PM   #6
plumbcut
california fill

if im reading this right-- all you need to do is align the forks down in that hole that the shifter drops into... if they're not aligned properly (been a few years since i done it) the shifter will just be "stuck".... its pretty simple fix, get a flashligh and a big flathead screwdriver and line em up...

pc
plumbcut is offline   Reply With Quote