The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2005, 09:52 PM   #51
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slammed '87
Unfortunately the only way to get a set of the old ones now (that i know of) is keep your eyes open for used ones.
incorrect. they were used by at least one major RV manufacturer, but not as taillights, they were used as backup lights. they are not illegal to be used as backup lights. we're just having an issue finding a year, make, and model for the particular application we're looking for. they're out there, now we've just gotta find em.
1FaastC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:09 PM   #52
iceman7329
Account Suspended

i have found a used R.V. with the lens that will fit, im going by the place again soon and i will get the year, make, and model, of the r.v. so you can hopefully find them.
iceman7329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #53
Slammed '87

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FaastC10
incorrect. they were used by at least one major RV manufacturer, but not as taillights, they were used as backup lights. they are not illegal to be used as backup lights. we're just having an issue finding a year, make, and model for the particular application we're looking for. they're out there, now we've just gotta find em.
so the actual APC chevy/gmc clear tails were used by this RV company, or are they specific for the RV??? If they are the same and or they fit '73 - '87s properly then thats cool! i have a hunch they won't though and like you pointed out they would still be illegal! not that it matters much, draggin frame isn't legal either lol
Old 08-12-2005, 10:50 PM   #54
iceman7329
Account Suspended

the red r.v. lens fits in the truck and the clears look exactly the same so they should work, and just use red bulbs to make them more legal, the guy down the street from me is a cop and said if i use red bulbs i would be less likly to goet stoped.
iceman7329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 02:25 AM   #55
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
so the actual APC chevy/gmc clear tails were used by this RV company, or are they specific for the RV??? If they are the same and or they fit '73 - '87s properly then thats cool! i have a hunch they won't though and like you pointed out they would still be illegal! not that it matters much, draggin frame isn't legal either lol
no, we use TYC and Triflex lamps, nothing says that they are from either one of those manufacturers. however, since everything else is from them, i wouldnt see why they wouldnt be made by them as well. your hunch is incorrect, my plow truck has a regular red taillight that actually came off of a coach. the markings on the old lamp and the one off the coach are identical. neither one of them bears a manufacturer name though. they are also very common in yellow, of which i have got one. those are probably specific for the RV industry, and i would assume that the clears would be too. speeding isnt legal either, but does that stop 99% of us? NOPE!
Old 08-13-2005, 02:28 AM   #56
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

iceman, lets see a pic of the lens you've got. the clear ones i saw today would technically fit in the hole, but they wouldnt fit quite right. im working on uploading the pics from my camera phone right now, i'll post them shortly.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:27 AM   #57
Slammed '87

1FastC10 ... am i missing something here?, you say that my hunch is wrong about them fitting properly, but then you go on to say that the clear ones you had seen "will fit in the hole, but not quite right"??? are we talking about the same thing here. or is it the red ones fit, but not the clears or...sorry you've lost me
Old 08-13-2005, 11:38 AM   #58
86 GMG

well i guess i have came up short handed on my end so far, but you two iceman and 1faastc10 are really on something i hope keep at it and i will as well
Old 08-13-2005, 02:41 PM   #59
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

Quote:
1FastC10 ... am i missing something here?, you say that my hunch is wrong about them fitting properly, but then you go on to say that the clear ones you had seen "will fit in the hole, but not quite right"??? are we talking about the same thing here. or is it the red ones fit, but not the clears or...sorry you've lost me
your hunch is 100% incorrect, many of them use a 73-87 lens. not one very similar to it, but one identical. it even had the same casting numbers as the one that my plow truck had on it originally..the ones i saw yesterday, on a Cheetah, will physically fit in the hole, and the mounting holes line right up. BUT the distance between the mounting holes and the edge of the lamp is shorter on the Cheetah lens. not to mention the more squared off corner that these have, they wouldnt even look right anyways.
Attached Images

Old 08-13-2005, 03:26 PM   #60
Slammed '87

LOL ... "your hunch is 100% incorrect, BUT the distance between the mounting holes and the edge of the lamp is shorter on the Cheetah lens. not to mention the more squared off corner that these have, they wouldnt even look right anyways."
Old 08-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #61
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

ok, now am i missing something here? the lenses pictured will bolt right up and physically fit in the hole, but will leave a gap between the lens and the body, not to mention the squared corner which i have plainly illustrated. the actual 73-87 lenses (which we do use) are a direct fit.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:03 PM   #62
Prerunner1982

slammed, apprently the lenses are out there. we are just trying to track down the right model RV..
Prerunner1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:04 PM   #63
bodydropped

Quote:
nope tyc made them and i got a set that says tyc on them i seen a set last ngith that i wanted to "borrow" but the guy was goin down the road but if i had the ways to cast them and mass produce them i sure in the heck would to make everyone happy
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:28 AM   #64
bodydropped

heres a company that use to sell them there name is auto syndicate the number is 1-877-4 syndc8
bodydropped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #65
1FaastC10
Account Suspended

my connection at the vendor is gone for the week. GREAT TIME TO TAKE VACATION BUDDY!
Old 08-16-2005, 09:04 AM   #66
86 GMG

we will hang him after he gets back and finds the lenses
Old 08-16-2005, 10:48 AM   #67
bigarmzz

man, 3 pages worth of replies to this post

lots of guys really want these things huh?

hopefully someone will come up with something eventually
Old 08-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #68
loblazer

Thumbs up

Ok here I am again.

I said I found them at an RV dealer in Georgia but I was wrong. I knew they are on the 2002 to 2004 Monaco class A rigs (Dynasty Model I think) so I was looking for a Monaco dealer. They have one full red, one full orange and one full white on the model I saw.

I was on my way home from Florida to Canada last February and I spotted the Monaco RV dealer off I-75. I have racked my memory and done some research for you guys.

HERE IT IS!
It was actually Knoxville, Tennessee. It is Buddy Greg Motor Homes, 11730 Snyder Road, 1-800-421-0031. The young guy I spoke with in service/parts was very helpful, I think his name was Jason?, J something? (that was last Feb guys, give me a break pls). Tell him it is the Chevy C10 pickup style, that is how he knows it.

They also have a place in Lakeland Florida, 940 Crevasse St. 941-859-5656 and Lewisville Texas, 1206 N. Stemmons Fwy (1-800-858-7139).

I have also seen the squared edge ones pictured above on a Triple E Commander made in Alberta. THAT IS NOT WHAT YOU WANT. Mine are rounded like C10, so are the Monaco ones, fit perfect.

My part number won't help you because I bought all red, no white b/up, from a dealer in Ontario, Canada when I got back home and it wasn't a Monaco.

I am going to Florida again in February (hate snow) so will be looking at every Monaco dealer for whites. Will let you know if I get lucky.

One of the guys above said he couldn't get his LED's to work. You need a special LED flasher. You can buy them from Speedway Motors (hot rod parts dealer) for $10.00 US.
www.speedwaymotors.com Sorry I couldn't find the part number, I think it a new item for them. Saw it in my Street Rodder book.
They sell the 1157 red LED but also sell an 1157 LED bulb that is 1 3/4 " diameter, much larger and better light than the stock 1157 for our big lens. Part # 91131024 for $14.95

Good Luck, Doug

Last edited by loblazer; 08-16-2005 at 04:35 PM.
loblazer is offline   Reply With Quote