The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2005, 12:48 AM   #1
BowTieMan

Need starter help bad

Ok I have a 70 with a 350 and auto. When I bought it the owner told me that the starter on there was special. And if I bought a new one I would need to take the nose end and the gear off and jsut get the new motor. After about 2 weeks of owning it my starter wouldn't work. So I replaced the whole thing with one from autozone. I didn't shim it and it wokred ok at first but wined alittle. Three months later out of no were it starts grinding and screaming when I try to start it. And made that horibble sound when it hit the flywheel. And my friend said sparks came out of the bottom of the truck. So I put a shim in and it still wined alot. So I got a new one tuesday night and put it in. And I added three shims and it wokred great, was quiet and started right up. Took it to school today and it was perfect, drove around to work and walgreens. then I went to go out tonight and it did that same wining sounds. Is it possible that the starter is geared for the 153 tooth and I have a 168 tooth flywheel and it is jsut to hard for the starter to move it over at first? I am going to check tomorrow what flywheel I have. Also we checked the flywheel and it is fine. I am at a loss. First one was three months and this new one is one day. Please help me. Any Ideas?
"A true hotrodder wouldn't be content untill he had created a car so violent, so hairy, so totally sick that the very act of dropping the hammer would result in instant death. Anything less results in the need to go faster." - Tony DeFeo
BowTieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:49 AM   #2
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

FYI, the 153 tooth wheel takes a starter with the bolts in-line. the 168 takes a staggered bolt pattern. has the block been severely line bored? there should be 1/8" clearance between the starter shaft & the outter edge of wheel teeth. I would suggest a new 168 wheel & a NEW starter.
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #3
krue
Designated A-hole!

Sounds like you should have kept the old nosecone. I had the same problems you did, I went thru 4 starters in a year. Bought a nosecone that put the starter closer to the flywheel and haven't had a problem in over a year.

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote