The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 AM   #1
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

Exhaust Running Options/with 4/6 Drop??

What are the options on running exhaust with a 4/6 drop or any drop that allows you to exit out the rear of the truck? Would like to see any pics if possible....

Trying to figure out which drop to go with that will allow me to exit the exhaust out the rear or behind the tires on a coil spring truck. I have a 68 swb stepside. Was thinking about a 3/5 drop or a 4/6 drop...

eric
Chevy_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 07:57 AM   #2
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

a pic is worth a thousand words. here's 2K
Attached Images

Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
DevinM

Here is what I'm doing. And, I finally got some $$$ together, so I purchased the Crossmember from ECE. Should be installed sometime during the 4th week of August.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=166129
'73 Chevelle Deluxe - First car (R.I.P)
DEERFIELD, MA
DevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 10:09 PM   #4
lowrider79

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68C15
a pic is worth a thousand words. here's 2K
I have a SB Stepside. This is the same method I used. The only difference is that I had to leave the mufflers under the truck in order to miss the step supports. I bent my own and mig welded the system. It's nice to see that someone else ran them the same way.
lowrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:00 AM   #5
powell72

Here's how not to do it IMO-
""

http://www.classictrucks.com/feature...short_bed.html
powell72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
MandarinSixSeven
Seasonal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider79
I have a SB Stepside. This is the same method I used. The only difference is that I had to leave the mufflers under the truck in order to miss the step supports. I bent my own and mig welded the system. It's nice to see that someone else ran them the same way.
Mine is the same way. The guy at our local (awesome) exhaust shop did it for me, he suggested it get run on the outside of the frame, I had never seen it like that, but it actually works really well.

P.S. - anyone in Kelowna wanting exhaust done, go to Tom at Precision.
Kelowna BC, Canada
Member of DTPW
MandarinSixSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:19 AM   #7
shifty
Questionable

Would it be possible to cut and reinforce a hole in the framerails for the exhaust to pass through if you wanted to lay frame in the future? I'm really wanting to keep my exhaust at the same level or higher than the frame on my truck.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
FormerMember
Account Suspended

I thought about running side pipes, ala the early 70's vette.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Would it be possible to cut and reinforce a hole in the framerails for the exhaust to pass through if you wanted to lay frame in the future? I'm really wanting to keep my exhaust at the same level or higher than the frame on my truck.
you could run it through your rear xmember (where trail arms mount) and support it. they also sell them set up for it out of ECE and other places.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:08 PM   #10
shifty
Questionable

Right, but I'm literally talking about taking it through the framerail under the cab or before the tranny xmember. Get it to the outside of the frame that way, then pipe out in front of the wheels or carry it all the way back.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

I have cut holes in the x- meber before on a lwb 72 , worked greatand went over the axle good, but also the truck was not lowered. The one i am building now is a swb step side and i am wanting to lower it. I was thinking of cutting the x-member again and and weld stiffener plates on the x-member. But here is the real thing with me wanting to lower it and move tank to rear that does not leave much room to clear the rear axle. I would like to have my exhaust dump out the rear of the truck or each corner of the fenders with just alittle bit of chrome tip showing, but i guess i am wanting to much and not enough rooom....lol. I was looking for ideas on how some of yall ran yours after the drop . Was thinking about a 4/6 drop or 3/5.... I have good ideas how but just wanted to see what everyone else did. When i do run mine i will take good detail pics so it maybe could get posted in faq....I know there wil be more wondering how or might be the best way and pics can save many many words....

eric

Last edited by Chevy_Man; 08-17-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:22 PM   #12
lowrider79

Quote:
Originally Posted by grendel
I thought about running side pipes, ala the early 70's vette.
A friend of mine did that and it looks great. It also sounds good.
lowrider79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #13
CHEVYE
my gas saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty
Right, but I'm literally talking about taking it through the framerail under the cab or before the tranny xmember. Get it to the outside of the frame that way, then pipe out in front of the wheels or carry it all the way back.
ahhh.... i'm sure you could do it. people add step notches and stuff all of the time and hack the heck out of their frames . i bet if you were to box the frame and plate it near where you want to do it. i don't see where you would run into trouble.
ebay feedback
CHEVYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:30 PM   #14
race-n-jason
-Praise the Lowered-

Here's a write-up on my installation. My truck has a 3/5 drop. May not be exactly what your lookin' for. Thought I would add it to your list of options....

Note that I didn't run the pipes between the frame rails, and I still have plenty of ground clearance (IMO) for a cruiser.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=127448
race-n-jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #15
72BLAZERDUDE

I have seen it done before. The guy took a short piece of 3 inch schedule 40 pipe and cut an eliptical hole ( so the exhaust runs through at an angle) and welded the pipe in at the correct angle. I think if you boxed the frame right there it would look pretty good
Old 08-18-2005, 03:22 PM   #16
GSFMECH
On the road

Eric,

Here are some pics of mine as I promised you. I just got this system installed this past weekend. I have a big block with full length swap meet headers, I don't know who made them. They hang down pretty low but I have never drug them. The A-arms are as low as they are anyway. I did this "TXfirefighter style". I bought straight length's of 2 1/2" tubing from Summit along with Summit turbo's and Walker tailpipe spouts. I also used walker stainless clamps to connect the mufflers. I bought 45 degree elbows from JC Whitney that were expanded on one end, cut to fit and welded it all up. Everything is aluminized. It sounds good and has a nice rumble. I know a lot of guys like to run them on out but I like the pipes hidden. I think there is enough room to run them over the axle and on out from under the truck if I wanted to. I have a 4/6 drop and had them over the axle when I had my small block but only had 2" pipe then.
Mike
Attached Images

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 03:32 PM   #17
Chevy_Man
Tightwad

Hey Mike, that looks good not a bad job at all thanks for posting, that goes to show the guys you don't have to be a muffler man to run your on pipes and have a good clean set up at a low price. I thought about that too just till i can get the truck back together then see how much room i will have after i got the weight back on here and see how she sets and sounds.
eric
Old 08-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #18
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSFMECH
I did this "TXfirefighter style"....
My chest swells with pride, I have something named after me now!

It's a pain to do it, but it rocks when you can tell everyone you built it yourself, down to every last nut and bolt, and even exhaust pipe.
Old 08-18-2005, 05:12 PM   #19
GSFMECH
On the road

Amen TX. LOL there are worse things you could be named after, you were my inspiration when I built this system.
Mike

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:20 PM   #20
Alexis
Member since 2000

The way GSFMECH has it is the way I have mine......I also have a 4/6 ECE kit.
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 08:53 PM   #21
Boog
laying low

Anybody have an under side pic of a factory stock dual setup? Just how is it routed?
Reason I ask is I am considering buying some stock pipes for temporary runnin.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote