The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #1
acloco

Help! Get me motivated to finish the truck! - PICS INCLUDED!

Story - moved from CA to Nebraska...it is one year to the day that the transporter dropped off my 67 short box/step side pickup.

I just have not had the time.....ARGH!!!!!!!

Last edited by acloco; 08-21-2005 at 06:30 PM.
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:47 PM   #2
Martin64

...move back...

1964(-ish) C10
Martin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:15 PM   #3
sleepyboy
'69 Step

don't think in big time increments, think in little one's that add up. MY wife and I have deals where certain evenings I get garage time. Even as little as 1/2 hour to 2 hours, you will see progress. She knows that is my time outside, so she doesn't even question it. She does her things or watches the tv show she wants and it is implied, I am doing my own thing at that time. Then when your time is over, you can re-unite..
sleepyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
dtlilly
Account Suspended

Sleepboy, you have a nice deal worked out!
dtlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #5
Botietruck
'71 chevy s.bed/s.side

acloco, I've been working on my project for 10 years. I have had so many times when I just could not make myself work on that truck. Once I get started on a certain phase of the project I really get back into it and make major progress. Don't give up. This board will certainly give you a boost...it does for me! Just stay focused and enjoy it and keep everything else in perspective. You'll get there.
Hey, post some pics. We'd like to see what you've done.
Botietruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #6
57sailplane

were in nebraska did you move to. i live in nebraska also. i am also building a 67 shortbox stepside and i also have a problem getting to work on it. i am building a striped down lowerd street legal drag truck. for me it's more of an insperation thing. its a frame up rebuild. frame is painted cab is primed and i am stuck between body work on it and welding in the roll cage. always a frustrating decision between the two, pondering what needs done first as to get it done properly the welding or the body. any ways what i do is just go out and do it until i get frustrated leave it. then go out and do it again seems redundant but if i get to mad i might just give up?? naa i have been at it for a wile no reason to stop now anyways good luck and let me no what your doing to yours might inspire me.
57sailplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 10:54 PM   #7
acloco

Keep 'em coming.......

57Sailplane - North Platte. You?
Old 08-19-2005, 11:06 PM   #8
68C15
blood type; Retumbo

when you get it done I will buy you some beer. then we can get together & talk about our similar trucks. I also am building a 67 stepper.
how's THAT for motivation?!
Man rule #77...if you own a 67 stepside with a caddy 472 you will never be in danger of loosing you man card
68C15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
Deuce

Post some pics.

Sometimes it's easier to do things the hard way.

Fesler Built 1968 Chevy C10....Must resist the urge to mess with it!!
Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 02:40 AM   #10
raidermanny

Try going to a car show. I hadnt touched my truck in 6 months but after I went to Hot August Nights and seen a few trucks that I wished mine looked like it motivated me to start again. Just a thought.
raidermanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 04:20 AM   #11
Brainchild
Still drivin' a Rat Rod

Just sit in the seat and take a drive.You don't actually have to have a seat,a milk crate or whatever,and you don't have to leave home

maybe buy some new tools,that always works for me
Rusty Member #13872
Instead of saying.....you are a discomfort in the back of my front.....one should be able to say...... you are a pain in the *a$#*

71 GMC LWB
49 Chevy
85 Chevy G20

Check out my website
Brainchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #12
57sailplane

i live in hebron. ya do you have any pictures.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:43 AM   #13
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Post pics.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 12:07 PM   #14
Mongo
YES_____NO

Help! Get me motivated to finish the truck. Ya want motivation? Well try thinking like this. "If I dont work on it and get it going the wife will want me to sell it"

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #15
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I build at least one vehicle a year, every year. They may not get 100 percent finished, but I get them lowered, running, and driving real nice with cool wheels and a "good look". I do suede paint a lot to keep from having to make the body perfect. Point is, I build a nice runner that turns plenty of heads every year.

My advice, you must work on it everyday. Everday. No matter what, everyday. Even if you don't want to, go out there and give it 15 minutes at least. I find that even if I feel like crap and don't want to, after 10 or 15 minutes, you're dirty and sweaty, so I just keep on working. Often, it leads to hours of progress, when I didn't even want to go out there in the first place.

Second make lists of little projects. "Run fuel lines" or "detail front frame rails" or "polish front bumper and paint the backside" or whatever.

If the weather sucks, do a little inside project. Set your ass on the wife's kitchen floor on an old blanket and detail the radio, or hood hinges or marker lights, or anything small. She won't mind as long as you clean up after you're done. Then, at the end of the evening, you'll have a neat looking set of lights, or bumper brackets or whatever, ready to install when the time comes.

Put the finished "sub-projects" up on shelves so you'll look at them as you walk around the house. It will motivate you, I promise.

There's no excuse not to do this stuff, none. I totally destroyed my knee and lower leg at work three months ago. I had to have extensive reconstruction surgery and three times a week therapy. Plenty of pain meds too. It didn't stop me though. It just caused me to do everything setting down with my leg splinted straight out in front of me. Belive me, when you're in pain and on crutches, you make damn sure you don't forget the right tool when you hobble over to the toolbox.

The point is, it's hard work being a hero. Look at some of the killer trucks on this board. Those guys are dedicated beyond belief. I mean, if building these things was easy, everyone would be driving a cool old car. There are two lines ahead, the "men" and the "boys", which line do you want to be in?
Old 08-20-2005, 06:53 PM   #16
Mongo
YES_____NO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
Belive me, when you're in pain and on crutches, you make damn sure you don't forget the right tool when you hobble over to the toolbox.
Wow people in TX hobble too? Here all this time I though ya'al just mosyed

People many not remember what you said or what you did, but they will remember the way you made them feel. - unknown

Cause, remember: no matter where you go... there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Help support the board
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:36 PM   #17
krue
Designated A-hole!

Post some pics of your ride. I may not work on mine everyday, but I drive it every chance I get (which ain't often with gas as high as it is).

We're Still Debt Free Except for the House!!!
www.daveramsey.com

70 GMC SWB Stepside project "Green Booger" soon to be 6.0l/4l80e
93 S-10 "Poppaw's Truck"
krue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 11:14 PM   #18
tomatocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo
Wow people in TX hobble too? Here all this time I though ya'al just mosyed
That would be Mosey'd or Moseyin'. My last 62 Impala SS had MOSEYIN for plates. I picked it up from my TN speaking grandmother.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:32 AM   #19
70c10swb
no brain no headache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter
I build at least one vehicle a year, every year. They may not get 100 percent finished, but I get them lowered, running, and driving real nice with cool wheels and a "good look". I do suede paint a lot to keep from having to make the body perfect. Point is, I build a nice runner that turns plenty of heads every year.

My advice, you must work on it everyday. Everday. No matter what, everyday. Even if you don't want to, go out there and give it 15 minutes at least. I find that even if I feel like crap and don't want to, after 10 or 15 minutes, you're dirty and sweaty, so I just keep on working. Often, it leads to hours of progress, when I didn't even want to go out there in the first place.

Second make lists of little projects. "Run fuel lines" or "detail front frame rails" or "polish front bumper and paint the backside" or whatever.

If the weather sucks, do a little inside project. Set your ass on the wife's kitchen floor on an old blanket and detail the radio, or hood hinges or marker lights, or anything small. She won't mind as long as you clean up after you're done. Then, at the end of the evening, you'll have a neat looking set of lights, or bumper brackets or whatever, ready to install when the time comes.

Put the finished "sub-projects" up on shelves so you'll look at them as you walk around the house. It will motivate you, I promise.

There's no excuse not to do this stuff, none. I totally destroyed my knee and lower leg at work three months ago. I had to have extensive reconstruction surgery and three times a week therapy. Plenty of pain meds too. It didn't stop me though. It just caused me to do everything setting down with my leg splinted straight out in front of me. Belive me, when you're in pain and on crutches, you make damn sure you don't forget the right tool when you hobble over to the toolbox.

The point is, it's hard work being a hero. Look at some of the killer trucks on this board. Those guys are dedicated beyond belief. I mean, if building these things was easy, everyone would be driving a cool old car. There are two lines ahead, the "men" and the "boys", which line do you want to be in?
Exactly

Heck one time i went out just to go look at it (that helos sometimes too) and ended up pulling the motor/tranny
Old 08-21-2005, 12:41 AM   #20
3damnboyz

I would try to help get ya motivated but after reading all this stuff I got to go work on my truck........................

"come on honey, we need more old trucks to fix up for the boys to drive, they will be driving before ya know it!"
3damnboyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:36 AM   #21
Idaho68
Got trucks?

Heh, my motivation is that the gray beast is the wife's daily drive, so if I DONT keep it running I have to take her to and from work on top of my own job and getting it running. Now when we get her small truck running, then is when I will work on the major stuff (body, fresh engine, transmission, paint.....)

OOGLY 68 1/2 ton LWB with 250 6-banger and TH350 (soon to be 350 with TH400)
Idaho68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:03 AM   #22
BIGT05

motovation my motivation usually comes from when sombody passes me while im out driving around my dail driver then i just realize i need more speed!

i fought the law and i won i fought the law and i won

94 ford ranger -granpas old truck can anyone say chevy smallblock

a man and his truck ahh its a beautiful thing

Ive got an idea Lets just poke it!!
BIGT05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 11:50 AM   #23
57sailplane

alco are you motivated yet. some are a little heavey on the guilt thing but they work. i went out yesterdy and finished the fire wall it needed final blocked then sealer sprayed on. next comes the roll cage. anyway thanks for the motovation even though i didn't ask for it. oh and alco "you can do it!"
Old 08-21-2005, 06:27 PM   #24
acloco

Hehe....definitely getting there. Got off work, today, turned the sprinklers on, and took some pictures of the truck. Enjoy.

I have a TON of new stuff in the garage.....just need a little time & some fun tickets to get it done.

Specs:
1967 short wheel base/step side (no rust - I believe, a CA Air Force truck - color was blue and had numbers on the hood). From the factory, it was a 6 cyl, 4 speed, A/C, 3.73/posi, and that is about it.

I purchased in the following condition:
305 (questionable used engine - leaked oil, ran rough)
Muncie M21 4 speed
Set of new Centerlines in the back
Longblock 350 also in the bed.
Nice dual exhaust with Flowmasters (they did a nice job on the exhaust)
Lowered front & rear
3.23 posi (3.73 gears & posi were in the box as well)

As it sits now:
305 - has a new oil pan (somebody jacked up the truck with the old pan =smashed!), oil pump, cam (stock 350), lifters, timing chain & gears, water pump, Edelbrock intake, aftermarket HEI - runs much better - will leave the engine until the monster small block is done.

Converted to a TH350 with shift kit
Tilt column - in, but not finished
Recovered stock bench, door panels, & visors.
4 row radiator (new, of course)

Plans - finish the interior - gut, scuff, spray, and install all the new items - seatbelts, stereo, kick panels, etc, etc.

Scuff the exterior - somebody sprayed a quick coat of primer - so that will come off, seal/primer the exterior, and then reassemble.

I know I am close....just need a little time! THANKS TO EVERYBODY FOR THE NUDGE IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION!

I will be asking the same for my 65 Chevelle SS (high horse 327, 4 speed, 3.55/posi).

Oh..snuck in a pick of "Silver" - my 03 Silverado.....yeah...I know...it is white...but the truck's name is Silver...as in Hi Ho SILVER! LOL!

Last edited by acloco; 08-21-2005 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #25
hilljob26

maybe this will help,this was my first digital pic,and know one of my latest

HILLJOB GRAPHIX--for all your graphic needs
My build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542497
LS ENGINE SWAP INFORMATION THREAD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=377348
4l60 to an NP205
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...43#post3697343
hilljob26 is offline   Reply With Quote