The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-18-2002, 04:18 PM   #1
Zkast
Account Suspended

Springs?

Well this weekend I started what seemed to be a small bit of work on the truck. Took it to our shop and started checking things over... low and behold I found about 500.00 worth of work to do LOL. No chances taken.. I like to replace it all if im in there already so it got new tie-rods, ball-joints, control arm bushing kits, Springs front and rear, shock mount bolts and a tilt column

ok ok enough of that.. here's my question

New springs front and rear, both Heavy duty from the same manufacture (moog) but the rear is about 2 inches above stock, the front is 1.5inches below stock. What brand's have you guys used? We've never had any trouble from this company when replacing springs... its always right on the money when the height is measured.

Would Big Block springs in the front raise it too much? I've never tried.

Specs are:
350ci/Auto/Non AC/2wd/LWB/1971
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 04:28 PM   #2
HvyChevy454
Slowly getting CRSS...

arent springs made like that b/c after they are broken in they tend to settle a little bit?
The Heavy Chevy Website
------------------
  • 72 Cheyenne 10 LWB GM 12-bolt 3.08 w/ Auburn Posi
    91 454 Edel Performer RPM Intake 750 cfm carb Comp Cam 268/.495 Hedman Headers Dual 3'' Exhaust
  • 71 Cheyenne 20 4x4 Fact. A/C PS PB Tilt Currently in the works...
Speak Softly and Carry A Big Block...
There is No replacement for Displacement...
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

HvyChevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 04:41 PM   #3
Zkast
Account Suspended

The front is already 1.5" below stock though

1 inch is expected for a front spring and 1/2" to 3/4" for rear(trucks) The rear im not to worried about... I know it will settle over the next few weeks. Its the front that has me concerned. I dont like that much rake. No offense to those who do it but I dont like the arse end sticking way up and the nose down. Some rake is needed/designed into these truck but this is excessive.
Old 08-18-2002, 10:11 PM   #4
COBALT

Two questions:

1. Are you comparing your new springs to the used ones out of your truck?...or...

2. When you bought the springs did they tell you the differences to stock you're putting in your post? Normally when you get these springs you eliminate the rake by picking rear springs that are lower than stock.

I'm confused as to how you ended up with new springs where you don't like the height. When I replace mine I'm going to tell Early Classic that I want 2 1/2" lower than stock in front and 3" lower than stock in rear. Did you just get them off the shelf or something???
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 08:39 AM   #5
Zkast
Account Suspended

These springs are for stock height. A direct replacment for stock springs to obtain stock height. They do classify them as heavy duty which should increase right height just a bit but nothing major.

My complaint is these new springs (front) are lower than the stock height. I do not want a lowered suspension....
Old 08-19-2002, 11:29 AM   #6
COBALT

OK, I think I understand what you're saying now. So you asked Moog to give you stock heavy duty springs front and rear, and they're not the same as the stock ones.

Again, what are you comparing them with? Are you comparing them to your old springs that are already out of the truck, or are you measuring the new ones and coming up with your numbers based on some book value you have somewhere?

Heavy duty springs don't have to be as tall as the stock ones. Remember once you put them into the truck and set the front-end down the stock ones would give more. The heavy duty ones won't give as much, and will provide a stiffer ride. That's why I'm asking the question, because you'll probably find out that the finished height (once you've got it together and sitting on the pavement) is probably TALLER with the new springs.

Another thing to think about is possibly going lower in the rear on purpose to take the rake out. You could return the rear springs you got and go with 1" lower in the back to level it out...just a suggestion.
Seattle, WA.
COBALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #7
Zkast
Account Suspended

I understand how everything operates, been in this field for over 10 years

My question was more about the specifics of the spring rates and if anyone else had run into this problem with ride height. The measurements im comparing to are the stock ride height measurements given by GM for these trucks for alignment purposes.

I found out exactly whats going on with the spring problem though and maybe this will help someone later on down the road?

Aftermarket (moog) sells a HD rear spring and a Cargo coil (variable rate) rear spring. They do not offer a stock replacement for these years.

Ok here's where the problem was

They offer a stock replacement front spring, which is what I bought, AND a HD front spring. I had been relying on a parts person to look things up for me(thats what they are paid for?) but they failed to mention there was a HD option which matched the rear HD springs as a set.

If I would have looked them up myself I would have noticed there is HD front, HD rear but no stock rear to match the stock front

Whew I think I just confused myself there LOL.

Moral to the story? buy in matched sets! Dont rely on someone looking up the springs for you..

Anyhow, I have it sitting like I want now... and should be perfect in a few weeks when the springs settle in.