The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 PM   #1
magnethead
7000 #'s of american IRON

dually problems

ok, we last drove the dually about 2 or 3 weeks ago to town. My mom starts it up today to take me to school, and it started smoking. I drove it home (i have my permit) and it didnt do anything when I was driving, but the second i took it out of gear and put it in park, a whitish smoke came out of the left side of the hood with a foul odor (like something was burning), and it stopped when i turned the ignition off. I initially thought maybe transmission (TH400), but no smoke came out from under the running boards that I could tell. I lifted the hood, stuck my head in, and sniffing around, it seems like the brunt of the smell came from the waterpump/mechanical fan area. Driving it home, i hadn't thought of even glancing at the water gauge to see if it was hot. I went ahead and parked it on asphalt, if it leaks fluid, i'll know. Any ideas?
magnethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:44 PM   #2
86 GMG

Is There Any Liquid (oiley Substance) On The Manifolds Headers Or Basically The Exaust That May Have Leaked On It, Check All Your Fluids (oil, Trans., Power Steering, Anti-freeze) If Any Of These Are Low Fill Back Up To Recommended Full And Keep An Eye On Them To Maybe Find Out What Is Wrong
Hopefull This Helps You And Mom Out Good Luck
Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 PM   #3
magnethead

here's pics..the driver side inner fender had some sort of fluid on the bottom lip of it, the top has more liquid (swiped with finger- looked to be like water (we were driving in a light rain and the hood is slightly bent in that spot..water may have come in through the bend) that you can see in one of the pics), something (i'm thinking silicone?) is sticking out of both valve covers, it needs 1 quart of oil, power steering (if i remember right, that is the canister in front, right?), and i didnt check the tranny fluid. I moved the truck and there wasnt any oil on the ground (ground was moist, but any fluids will float on water).

also, that is the second on the right when viewed from front (#4?) spark plug boot hitting the header...we have hi temp tape on it for now (the white stuff)
Attached Images

Old 08-17-2005, 10:01 AM   #4
rockman20
"The dude abides"

Was the burnt smell kind of a sweet smell to it? My initial guess is that it is coolant that you smell burning. Now. Where is it coming from. My first suggestion would be to run it to get it to normal operating temps again. See if it smokes again. Leave it run and get out and inspect everything. Look for signs of smoke coming from anywhere.

Could be a cracked head, blown head gasket, bad radiator cap, leaking overflow tank, leaking radiator, waterpump, etc.

This is where I would first look. Be aware of the smell. When you do find what it is, then you will know that if you smell that smell again, what it is coming from.

1993 Chevy Silverado C3500 1 ton dually
1994 Honda Civic
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S
1953 IH Farmall Super M
New to the fleet:
1992 Subaru Loyal
rockman20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:36 PM   #5
magnethead

the rad. overflow tank is on the pass. side of the truck and has no cap. the smoke came from drivers side, kinda like where those drops on the fender are, by that big mass of whatever.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
magnethead

found the problem. i told my dad the power steering was dangerously low, the first thing he did was crank it over and check the power steering hoses. Found it first guess.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:13 PM   #7
badone07
Project 2 Resume

You got lucky. While back I had a ps hose burst on the highway with mine. Obviously lost ps and pb, as well as had a nice engine fire.

1984 C30 Chevy Crew Cab Dually
1998 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
2004 Chevy Trailblazer 4x4 (wife's)
1970 Mustang FB fully tubed (getting 521 BBF & powerglide)
1978 Nova 2dr (going BBCaddy & S.P. th400)
1984 Monte SS (circle track car)
badone07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
magnethead

i think ours would have done the same thing. like i said, it has long tube headers, but the pin hole was facing outward away from the engine, but since it has the insulation type stuff on it, it indirectly sprayed on the engine. Thats why the inner fender had all the oil on it.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:54 PM   #9
86 GMG

well good you found the prob. now you just have to fix it good work young man