The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-22-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Brewski*

My new mechanic (my son)

My son has been interested in taking things apart since he was very young. He just never could seem to get them back together. He is now 15 and a freshman. He wants to take automechanics in highschool so I set him out this weekend to fix a few things and he did a fantastic job with very little input.
On the 68 Burb he replaced the fuel pump that started leaking Friday. Only thing he needed help with was getting the pushrod up and out of the way to install the new one
On the 71 3/4 4x4 he removed and replaced the header gasket (had to help start a few screws) and installed the new OEM style valve covers. Everything looks and works great.
On the GT 5.0 Vert (won't mention the manufacture) he replaced the HEI module which is a ***** to get to. Now all but one of my vehicles is running very well.
All and all he did a great job and saved me lotsa time and $ so I did not have to do them and cut time out of my boot production~!
Brewski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
FormerMember
Account Suspended

Sounds like a great start.

I used to do things like that with my father, some of my fondest memories. I think I could rebuild a motor at 10. I was stiitching leather seats at 5!

My oldest son, who's 5, was out in the garage with me this weekend. He jacked up the project chassis and talked about it for the rest of the weekend.

Heck, my wife could change a starter in "War Pig" a 79 F350 4x4 with a chevrolet bed on it faster than anyone else. She was small enough that she didn't need to jack it up and climb under it...

Family wrenching is truely the best.
FormerMember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
JimKshortstep4x4

Talking

You can be proud of your son and it sounds like his dad is ok too!

Jim
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:01 PM   #4
acloco

Cool. Keep it going....
acloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:28 PM   #5
shortbed70

When I was younger 16 I was forced to learn how to fix cars and hands on is the way to go because if its not done correct it usually doesn't run. Great start and keep him encouraged. Autotech in my school was great because you did everything on your own vehicle and you had a time limit you could get it done in. Needless to say I took it 2 years in a row,LOL to get everything fixed of course (my go fast chrome put on) 1978 Grand Prix

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote