The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

VENT: CA DMV #$%#**%&^%

ok, I FINALLY pass smog with my 77 k5. Finally. GREAT i race over to DMV to complete registration(Saturday hours once a month).

I need to complete a VIN check...ok, no problem. The truck was a CA vehicle, I lived in NJ for a few year, just registering back in CA.

I park in the lane for my "quick" vin check. No offense to senior citizens, but when this lady came hobbling out to check my truck, I new i was in for it. She checked the VIN plate, but could not find a " FEDERAL STICKER" of some sort.

I told her its been painted and who knows what. She say "it looks like its been in a wreck" . At this point I AM PISSED. Its never been in a wreck, but is an older truck. She is clueless. I told her that she could check the frame. She CAN'T. She says " I'm not checking under there".......Well I truly believe any capable bodied person could and would.

She says I can't process this vehicle. She then proceeds to walk me the car behind me to show me what a "federal vehicle" sticker looks like. The car was a new BMW!!!!! I'm dying at this point.

When I went in, the lady at the counter could not believe that she would not verify.......amazing. She felt bad and gave me a 3 month pass to drive legally on the road.

ok, i'm done. I was sooooo pissed. I passed smog at least today but that was a whole other story

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #2
bigbluthng

so be honest. what did you do to her to piss her off?

Last edited by bigbluthng; 08-20-2005 at 06:56 PM.
bigbluthng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluthng
so be honest. what did you do to her to piss her off?
nothing, i guess she does not like big trucks

Old 08-21-2005, 03:11 AM   #4
69TowRig

She wasn't pissed off, she was collecting a paycheck, like most of the rest of the government functions these days. (sorry to all that I offend, if you are offended then you aren't who I am referring to).

TX DOT is a PITA with vehicle registrations as well. Their website sucks for trying to figure out what paperwork you need, and they want 10,000 signatures on everything. I had to go back 3 times to get my Frontier registered and titled, only to have my title show up from the lienholder as the original NC title. That is still screwed up. My Blazer took 2 tries to just get a title, I don't even want to think about registering it yet.

I HATE dealing with any government office of any sort. They exist simply to piss ME off.
Building a stripper, one part at a time: 1969 K5, 307, 3spd, 3 seats, hard top. Added Pwr Discs, Pwr Steering, Aux Battery, T-case Skid, Lighted Sidemarkers, HEI, Lock-Right Diff, ECE Class IV Hitch, 32" MT/Rs. Parts to Install: Hand Throttle, Console, Tow Hooks, Dual Horns, AM-FM, Dealer Swing-Away Tire Carrier, Gas Tank Skid.
Also building a 1950 Willys CJ-3A and off-roading a 2001 Nissan Frontier on 1-Ton Portals...
69TowRig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
hotrodhomi

you can go to any DMV... use the one at the next town over.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

California DMV sucks?I thought they all did.I think the clerks get "turn-away" bonuses.My local MVA(they had to change it from DMV because people couldn`t say it without making a nasty face)has a guy that takes care of insurance lapse issues.You get a notice ,take in all your documentation for him to determine if you will be fined and how much.Here`s the kicker,the dude`s nearly blind!He takes your paperwork and holds it up to about an inch from his good eye and scans across and down like a typewriter.When he writes,he looks like he`s laying his head on the counter to take a nap.I believe in employing the handycapped,but that`s like hiring a guy in a wheelchair to fight fires.You walk away and can`t help but wonder if he read it right.LOL

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-21-2005 at 02:25 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 05:07 PM   #7
shortbed70

The people at the dmv in NC are a real PITA. I need to get my licence transfered but they want your life story and then want to question you on that. It's just as rediculous as gas prices!!!!!

1965 Chevy Bagged,361 sbc,voodoo cam,1.5 full roller rockers,patriot 185cc vortec heads 2.02-1.60,vortec weiand polished intake,demon carb

my truckhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=332884

Big Red Dog build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=572274
shortbed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:28 AM   #8
Medicanman71
Account Suspended

we got my 53 pickup registered in the santa rosa dmv, same deal with an old lady.... she passed us, its been painted, sure as heck dont have that sticker.
Medicanman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
wright-ons

In California you can take your truck to a local Highway Patrol for a VIN verifacation. He will give you a completed form that the DMV will honner. It has been my experience that they are much more informed on where to find the numbers that they need. After a bad experience with the DMV, a friend told me to go to the CHP. It has worked well for me ever since.
wright-ons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 12:26 PM   #10
llegos

when i got my truck, it took about a 45min wait, but all went fast. God am i glad the previous owner had kept up on the registration. payed my taxes, all that good stuff...then again i dont have to smog mine either...
Old 08-23-2005, 04:35 PM   #11
mrwilmoth

ya goto your local chp, they will help you more. been there done that!
mrwilmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:47 PM   #12
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

i'd rather not go to chp. fear is that i would be hassled about tires, lift etc. Last thing I need is a saftey inspection. Also.....about that unpaid ticket.....