The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-19-2002, 09:58 PM   #1
gabet40

try to figure out this gas gauge problem

my needle always stays at 3 o'clock until my gas tank gets low. then when i accelerate OR if my truck is inclined the needle starts going towards empty to let me know that im low. then when i stay at a constant speed, slow down, or level the truck out, itll go right back to 3 o'clock.
so it seems that when im low and the fuel is shifting towards the back of the tank, it starts working. any ideas?

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 10:29 PM   #2
Zkast
Account Suspended

Unless you have a wire loosing connection (doubtful) It sounds like you have a bad sending unit in the tank. When the gauge goes past full thats an indication of a broken wire, or open in the sending unit assembly.
Zkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:10 PM   #3
Slammed67
Progress = 0%

I just hooked up the wire to my fuel cell sending unit and when I turned on the key, it went to the 3 o'clock position also. Just out of curiosity, I ran a ground wire from the sending unit housing to the frame (thus grounding it) and it worked fine. However, assuming you have the stock gas tank, grounding shouldn't be an issue since there is so much metal to contact by the way the tank is mounted. So, whatever that is worth to ya! Good luck.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:46 AM   #4
Blazer1970

I agree, bad sending unit. What does it do when the tank gets really low?
Old 08-20-2002, 07:55 AM   #5
GMCPaul

Thumbs up

Sounds as though the resistor that the fuel sending unit arm pivots up and down on in tank is broken at the bottom of where it connects inside the small housing on the sender and when tank is low on fuel and you accelerate or decelerate it allows the piece on arm to contact the resistor strip.
GMCPaul
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 01:34 PM   #6
gabet40

i like pauls idea. its a blazer tank and the sending unit never worked from when i first put it in. funny thing is that it had problems when i had the stock tank in as well. maybe two bad sending unit huh.
slammed 67- it isnt a stock tank but the ground is on the frame. ill double check i have em right though
blazer1970- when it gets really low, the guage will actually stay at empty, then when i throttle more than about 30% my engine will start gasping. thats really low
but ive been planning on pulling it down and readjusting the straps cuz its really low right now so ill let you guys now what i come up with

Former owner of:
69 1/2 ton, change from long/fleet to short/fleet, shaved door handles, shaved tailgate, 4/6 drop, power windows, 700r4
72 blazer, 350 with Holley Commander 950 DFI, crane energizer cam, 350 tranny, dual sanderson blockhuggers/magnaflow exhaust
gabet40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 02:17 PM   #7
Fast68Chevy
Account Suspended

keep in mind that fuel guage is fed hot feed at all times when ingition is on, the tan wire that runs back to the tank sender is a variable ground, the sender is grounded to the tank that is grounded ot the truck and the ground all passes through the resistor winding strip on the sending unit assembly, and the arm has a contact on it that glides along the length of the reistor strip and that lessens or greatens ground feed to the gauge, IE moving the needle

if you break(opne the circuit) then the guage will peg over to the right, around 3 o clock,.

problem can be wire, contact somewhere or the sender unit,
most commonly damaged wire and/pr bad unit,
Fast68Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote