The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-24-2005, 08:19 PM   #1
cdub

Rough Idle

When I stop at a redlight, my truck's rpms go way down, and the oil light flickers, and it eventually...dies, if I don't give it a little gas. I believe there is a high lift cam in it, and I read that that may be the reason for the rough idle, but I don't think it should be dying at stoplights.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 PM   #2
red86chevy

The lift of the cam would not cause a rough idle... duration and a low Lobe seperation angle will. If you do have a big cam, sounds like you may need more stall. Maybe it needs to run a little leaner? Does it chop at idle in park or only in drive?

you need to know what cam you have. It could be the cam, carb, or timing.

JMO,
Jeremy
86 c-10 383 w/ sportsman II heads comp 286h cam Edlbrock RPM Performer intake Holley 750 th350 w/2400 stall 3.73 gears with powertrax No-Slip posi unit. Just broken in good. Will get a 1/4 time this week.
red86chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:39 PM   #3
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

vacuum leak.....
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #4
ureckme
ureckmefixit2@cox.net

Vacume leak or running to rich, can you smell unburned fuel, check vacume hoses, but I think a vacume leak would make it idol high. One thing I have seen is the bolts holding the carb down loosening up. With out enough info it could be any thing. Matt
Crower Custom Grind .462in .486ex
Dyno Test 422hp @ 5600
And it's got a Holley
3.73 Gears
12 Bolt 3.73 w/Posi
700R4 Going In
I'm a Body Man So There!
That's why it's not painted
ureckme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 07:47 AM   #5
Nolowrider

Is this something that just started? If it just staarted I would check all of your vacuum lines and check for a leak somewhere, like mentioned above. If it has always done this, since you had it anyway, I would hook a vacuum gage up to it and see what you have. A "high lift cam" will rob you of vacuum. How do your brakes feel? If the vacuum is good, I would look at the idle setting. I would start over by checking the timming first, then adjust the idle and eliminate that. Do you have the kickdown cable hooked up?
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 10:35 AM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I had a rough idle on a car once that turned out to be a leak in the power brake booster. It was enough of a leak to cause a bad idle, but the brakes still worked pretty well. Weird.

Slonaker
Old 08-25-2005, 01:28 PM   #7
cdub

thanks

It has always had a rough idle, it kinda sounds like a dragster. If you can imagine that. My father in law said he put a performance cam in it long ago. The carb is a 650 edelbrock, almost new. I do smell the fuel at redlights when it is ideling in drive. But...when it idles in neutral or park, it kinda smothes out, and doesn't sound like it wants to die. The brakes weren't working very well, I just had a brake booster put in the other day along with the headers and flowmasters. And now the brakes work well. I have tried everything to fix this problem. I believe it is too rich, how would I go about fixing that? I really have no idea how to set the fuel/air ratio on the carb, and I don't think it has ever been calibrated since I put it in. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Old 08-25-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
Nolowrider

I would start here
It def sounds like you may be running rich. The reason I was asking about the brakes is because they use vacuum from the engine. When you are at idle and in park there is really no strain on the engine, thus should have good vacuum. When you drop it into drive, the vacuum will also drop and if you are already low not you are even lower. The power valve system works on vacuum. I would through a vacuum gage on it and see what you have. High lift cams will rob you of vacuum. Alot of people with big cams have to use a vacuum canister for the brakes to work good.
Nolowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #9
cdub

Well, I appreciate all the replys I have been getting, hopefully I will have time soon to work on it. hey nolowrider, that chart must have been written in like chinese or something, because I have no idea how to set the carb so she will run leaner. I know there are two knobs on the front of it, which is I believe the air and fuel mixture knobs. I dunno, if someone could break it down for me and really dummy proof it for me, that would be great, cuz I feel like a retard when I look at that chart. Thanks Chris
Old 08-28-2005, 10:30 PM   #10
cdub

Well, after a quick inspection under the hood, I found what seemed to be the problem with my idle. The vaccum hose that connected right onto the vaccum advance was almost in two, not to mention the carberator bolts needed to be tightened as well. thank everyone for their advice, and knowledge. Chris