The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-26-2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Kopper

Control Arm Bushing Removal

Just thought I would post this, it's a really easy way to remove the control arm bushings. I found that the ball joing press was easier than using a full size press. I did my lower control arms the same way. My control arms are sandblasted in the pictures.
Attached Images

Last edited by Kopper; 08-26-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Kopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #2
jermasaurus

Wish my conrol arms were that clean... and had new bushings.
jermasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #3
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

That sure beats using a torch and a BFH. Those control arms look nice....

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
bagged74
its just $$$$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX
That sure beats using a torch and a BFH. Those control arms look nice....
Thats for sure, I used the heat and BFH method last time. I wont go that route again. Thanks for the info.
bagged74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:18 PM   #5
79Silv4x4
Workaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74
Thats for sure, I used the heat and BFH method last time. I wont go that route again. Thanks for the info.
Sometimes the heat and BFH or heat and press ARE required. Good tip though. . .
79Silv4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 11:36 PM   #6
Slonaker
Insert Witty Text Here

I have that same press, and I was going to try using it. Then my neighbor, who used to own a front end shop, offered to do it for me at his old shop. I gave them to him, and he gave them back to me finished. That was even easier!

They look great, BTW. I wish I had cleaned mine up better.

Slonaker
Old 08-26-2005, 11:54 PM   #7
SSC's76
No No

I used the air hammer for removal and the ball joint tool for install. I think if I were to have even attempted to use the press to remove the old bushings it would have taken all day to get the 400K miles of rust and grime to budge.
Gen VI 454, Muncie HD 3 speed With Modified OE Hurst Shifter, 3.73 12 bolt, GMPP HO roller cam, Hooker headers, Performer intake with modified Q-jet, Accel distributor. Best 1/4 12.3 @108. Funnest run 19.84 @88 full 1/4 mile burn out.
1997 K1500 ext cab 5.7 stock except muffler
SSC's76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 02:39 AM   #8
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

I used the same tool (rental) to remove my outer metal sleeves. But, I first had to drill out the rubber bushings to remove the inner sleeves so that the shafts could be remove. The challenge is installing the second bushing once the first bushing and the shaft in installed. I rigged up a press to do the job.

Nice job on the control arms.

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
454HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxrodz
I used the same tool (rental) to remove my outer metal sleeves. But, I first had to drill out the rubber bushings to remove the inner sleeves so that the shafts could be remove. The challenge is installing the second bushing once the first bushing and the shaft in installed. I rigged up a press to do the job.

Nice job on the control arms.
You have a pic of the press you rigged up? This is my project for this weekend.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:39 AM   #10
My '77

For my '63 Corvette I used the air hammer with chisel bit to walk the bushings out. I took 1-2 minutes per bushing.

To install the bushings, I used bearing grease to lube the bushing and, using the bar (whatever you call the thing the bushing pivots on) as a guide, I then drove the bushing on to the A Arm using a large socket, tapping each end alternatively. The socket needs to be large enough to go around the metal flange portion of the bushing only. I cannot find it right now, but it was much bigger than what I will ever use for anything else, but only cost $5 at Advance. It probably took about 5-6 minutes to install per pair.
My '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 10:07 AM   #11
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged74
Yeah, it really stinks the shop up....
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #12
Kopper

When removing the rubber out of the old bushing I used a drill and a torch. I used an old drill bit and heated the tip red hot. Then drilled the rubber, when the tip of the drill is red hot it removes the rubber nice and clean. I drilled in about 8 spots evenly spaced around the bushing and then what's left will pry out fairly easily. The drill method is still a little stinky but no where near burning the rubber out.

I'm installing urethane bushings so I will be able to use the press to install the new shells because they come apart and the shafts will slide through the shell. I'll post some pics when I install them.

I'm putting in Energy Suspension Polygraphite Bushings, has anyone had trouble with these squeaking? I'm considering drilling them and installing grease zerks.

Last edited by Kopper; 08-27-2005 at 09:01 PM.
Kopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:50 PM   #13
MazaM

i recently changed all the front bushings and ball joints on my '80. i figure the ball joints were original since they still had rivets and not bolts so i could imagine so were the bushings, huh?? anyways, i thought the torch and the BFH was the fun part of the job, even got my boy away from the tv if it meant he could play with torch. (supervised of course)
MazaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 12:49 AM   #14
boxrodz
Until Seventy Times Seven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454HO
You have a pic of the press you rigged up? This is my project for this weekend.
Here's my makeshift press. It's all I had at the time. The wood spacers are used to prevent the sides of the CA from collapsing when pressing the bushing. A length of pipe is used to press the bushing over the end of the shaft protruding beyond the CA. The photo is taken with the bushing completely pressed in place.

A couple of things, make sure the C-clamps are securely aligned in place. When pressing in the bushing, alternate tightening the clamps a little at a time to maintain that the bushing is pressed in correctly during the process. Be careful.

Next time, I'll make arrangements to have a shop press them in.

Good luck.
Attached Images

When two halves is gone, there's nuthin left. Two nothings is nuthin. That's mathematics son.
You can argue with me but you can't argue with figures. Two half nothings is a whole nuthin...

Last edited by boxrodz; 08-28-2005 at 12:50 AM.
boxrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 09:12 AM   #15
454HO

Thanks for the pic. I got the upper arms done pretty easily. I put the bushings in the freezer for about an hour to shrink them a bit. Then I used 80 grit sandpaper to clean up the bores on the control arms so I had shiney metal all the way around. Also lubed them up with some motor oil. Took a bushing from the freezer and dropped it in then smacked it with a 2lbs hammer. I had a large 3/4" drive socket over the bushing so I didn't hit it directly. It only took a few hits to drive it in.

Will try the same technique on the lower arms as soon as I can get some new shafts. I buggar'd up the threads on the originals trying to remove the inner sleeves that were rusted solid to them.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #16
Bad Karma
Magnificent bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopper
I'm putting in Energy Suspension Polygraphite Bushings, has anyone had trouble with these squeaking? I'm considering drilling them and installing grease zerks.
I have those in my Sub. They squeaked pretty loud only on large bumps (like speedbumps) for a long time. Then one day they just stopped and they've never made another sound since....