The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #1
rchdrm
The start of the $ pit!

Colapsing the column

I have seen the thread about installing a tilt wheel and will do that as soon as mine arrives but I had a question in the mean time.
Can you colapse the column to any dimension you choose? I'm sitting too close to the wheel.
rchdrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 05:26 PM   #2
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchdrm
I have seen the thread about installing a tilt wheel and will do that as soon as mine arrives but I had a question in the mean time.
Can you colapse the column to any dimension you choose? I'm sitting too close to the wheel.
Actually, the collapsable (sp?) part is under the hood & not in the cab. Your stuck w/that as far as stock GM columns go. They do make a shorty aftermarket ($$$$) column for GM applications w/limited space. I bet one of those could be converted to work, but kind of pricey.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:05 PM   #3
neonlarry

To answer your question yes within reason. The limiting factor will be clearance for the N\S switch. The part that is collasped is the intermediate shaft. See here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php3?t=133937
If you place the N\S switch right on the van column you should be able to get as much room as you want again within reason. See here:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...threadid=63328
neonlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
Custom_C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI
Actually, the collapsable (sp?) part is under the hood & not in the cab. Your stuck w/that as far as stock GM columns go. They do make a shorty aftermarket ($$$$) column for GM applications w/limited space. I bet one of those could be converted to work, but kind of pricey.
Actually you can move the steering wheel to the dash as close as you want it, here's a pic of a '68 column.
Attached Images

Custom_C5 is offline   Reply With Quote