The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-20-2005, 03:39 AM   #26
ClassicStyle

How much did that fuel pump cost you? link? are you happy with its performance?

I got a line on a ls-1 for 1k with everything, obviously going to need to do some upgrading in the fuel department.

-Cameron
Old 08-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #27
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean
Ok, I have a few questions. But first, I have to say WOW, that looks GREAT!
Thanks. I had a lot of fun doing it.

Quote:
Did you do or do you plan to do any changes to the engine? I ask because I'm about to have mine rebuilt and I'm thinking about starting the conversion while it's out.

How much have you spent and where did you get the main parts? (ebay, parts yard, garage sale?)

I have been looking at parts yards and ebay, then run the TPI harness from Painless unless I can get a complete setup somewhere.
The engine is your basic 350 (bored 60-over). The only real mod that it has is an Edelbrock Performer cam.

I got the "complete TPI setup" from a guy over on Thirdgen.org. Apparently "complete" is a relative term. I ended up having to buy a few more sensors and make some repairs to the harness. I opted to go with the stock harness. It was kind of a pain in the a$$ and took a bunch of time but it save a few hundred bucks and I learned a lot about the system in the process. All of the misc. parts I got from either Summit, Rockauto.com, other guys on Thirdgen.org, or the local parts stores. I've got all the reciepts but I haven't added them up yet....I'm kind of afraid to. I'm guessing it'll total in the $1200 range. Maybe one of these days I'll make up the parts list and post it.

My best advice is to find a complete Z-28 or T/A and pull the thing yourself. That way you know you're getting everything in good condition. This swap (like most) can nickel and dime you to death. Go for it!!

Mike
2001 Dodge Dakota Sport 4X4/4.7L V8/5 spd/Headers/Jet Chip, etc. Daily Driver
2002 Airborne Zeppelin (roadbike) Titanium frame/Campy Chorus
2004 Filippi Italia S (rowing shell)
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #28
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicStyle
How much did that fuel pump cost you? link? are you happy with its performance?

I got a line on a ls-1 for 1k with everything, obviously going to need to do some upgrading in the fuel department.

-Cameron
The pump was $215 from Tanks Inc. So far it works great. The install was pretty simple. A word of warning though...if you decide to get one, it's too short for the stock tank. It needs to to be about 2" deeper. I had to fab up an extension for the bracket to get it to the bottom of the tank.

Mike
Old 09-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #29
SOON2BLAZE
Account Suspended

Hi, nice tpi set up. I'm doing the same and do I have a ton of ? Did you use the stock harness for the engine? Look like you went from MAF to speed density. Did you leave the stock sending unit in the tank? How much was the fuel pump set up? What trans are you using? I wanted to make things easy for myself , but the wife wasn't down with a 5K Ram Jet. So, I 'm going to start having my paychecks forwarded to Street and Performance. Thanks, Chris
SOON2BLAZE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 10:26 AM   #30
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BLAZE
Hi, nice tpi set up. I'm doing the same and do I have a ton of ? Did you use the stock harness for the engine? Look like you went from MAF to speed density. Did you leave the stock sending unit in the tank? How much was the fuel pump set up? What trans are you using? I wanted to make things easy for myself , but the wife wasn't down with a 5K Ram Jet. So, I 'm going to start having my paychecks forwarded to Street and Performance. Thanks, Chris
So...the TPI unit I used was a MAF setup from an '87 Trans Am with a 305. I decided to stick with the MAF since it is more accepting of engine mods than the SD. I picked up a set of used LT1 24 lb injectors for $75 to replace the original 19 lbers. I used the stock harness from the TA which required A LOT of cleaning and a few repairs but with a bunch of wiring diagrams and books I was able to figure it all out. I saved myself a few hundred $ doing it that way. The nice thing is there really is only one way to connect everything since all the connectors are different.

I was able to fit the Tanks Inc. fuel pump in and keep the stock sending unit in the original Blazer tank. You've got to be careful because right above the fuel pump is a cross member for the bed so there is only about 1/2" of clearance there. I got lucky! It was no big deal to extend the pump to reach the bottom of the tank...I just had to splice in about a 2" piece of metal. But, if you are going to use that pump I would get the folks at Tanks to make you one that goes about 3" deeper that you can cut back to make it fit perfectly.

I've got the stock 4 spd trans and was able to get a speed sensor from Stealth Conversions that fit in between the trans and the speedo cable.

Basically I decided not to take the easy way out and figured out everything for myself. It was a learning experience to say the least but now that I know how to do, the next one will be a piece of cake (if I ever convince the wife to let me get another project!). RyanB over on the CK5 site did a nice write up that helped a lot. http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106209

Good luck.
Mike

Last edited by MikeS; 09-06-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:38 PM   #31
smbrouss70

Quick question for ya, Mike! Which fuel pump did you use from Tanks Inc?

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:21 AM   #32
MikeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70
Quick question for ya, Mike! Which fuel pump did you use from Tanks Inc?
Model # PA-2 the deluxe 190 liter
Old 09-07-2005, 12:38 AM   #33
smbrouss70

Thanks

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote